Agressive 75 Gallon Stocking

spartacus1337

Hi Guys,

Just setup a new tank that is currently cycling. For this tank I want to switch things up so I won't be going mixed reef but an aggressive fowlr aquarium. I am most interested in the odd unusual fish that you either don't see everyday or at least aren't your "Clownfish, chromis, ect..".

Here is my current aquarium and what I plan to stock so far. Does anyone have any suggestions for other aggressive/FOWLR fish that would fit? Once again I'm looking for fish that stand out and are somewhat unusual. However with that being said I would also like them to be fairly hardy and easy to care for if possible.

My setup:
75 gallon with corner overflow
Around 75 - 100 lbs of live rock
3 Hydor Korelia pumps
20 gallon sump
Reef octopus 150 skimmer
Tunze ATO
GFO Reactor
There will not be a fuge but I am thinking of creating an algae scrubber although no plans for it now.

My current planned stock:
Mombassa Lionfish
Chainlink or Snowflake moray. (I go back and forth on which one).
Possibly an Anglerfish however I don't know much about them and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good information on them.

Angelfish wise, a large angelfish requires a larger tank. You could get a Dwarf Angel to go in there assuming he is big enough not too fit into the mouth of the Eel and Lionfish.

My apologies, you sure did. Guess I was reading to fast. Heres some good reading about them. No experience with them.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2143106

So it looks like Anglers in general shouldn't be kept with anything that's not bigger than itself. Which counts that out.

Any suggestions on any other ground dweller that might be ok with a lionfish and an eel in 75? They seem really interesting to me.

One of the problems is that almost all marine fish are 'aggressive', but how aggressive almost always relates to tank size and companions, and a 75 is still a small tank. I think perhaps the term you want is 'speciality tank', meaning keeping a fish you can't keep with most other fish inside a 75. So instead of balancing tank size/territory you go for 1-3 fish that cannot eat each other or that don't see the others as food.

One of the problems is that almost all marine fish are 'aggressive', but how aggressive almost always relates to tank size and companions, and a 75 is still a small tank. I think perhaps the term you want is 'speciality tank', meaning keeping a fish you can't keep with most other fish inside a 75. So instead of balancing tank size/territory you go for 1-3 fish that cannot eat each other or that don't see the others as food.

Yes, that is more what I'm going for. Would an angler be ok with a snowflake or chainlink moray? I don't think the lionfish would have much of a problem.

honestly 75 gallons is really just too small to step up an aggressive fowlr tank. the 2 fish you mention would go in your tank ok, but cant really think of another tankmate that would go long term in that size tank, but even if they didnt kill each other water quality in that size tank would be an issue
angelfish as stated can eat fish up to the size of themself.

honestly 75 gallons is really just too small to step up an aggressive fowlr tank. the 2 fish you mention would go in your tank ok, but cant really think of another tankmate that would go long term in that size tank, but even if they didnt kill each other water quality in that size tank would be an issue
anglerfish as stated can eat fish up to the size of themself.

Fixed that or you.

Anthony, 7 might work. You MIGHT consider a neoglypt or dascyllus damsel (one) to keep the 7 concentrating on THAT danger rather than picking on each other. I notice that LA has a golden domino right now: about 4.5 inches max, attitude and territorial, but with species that will push back, ok. The neoglpypt (blue velvet) I think maxes smaller, but the golden is showier.

---------Now, to Spartacus---I'd say ask about triggers and puffers: not sure about those, because they're pushier than I go with, nippy: but exotic and I'd think self protective. Certain of the eels are nice, and the lion can't fit them in his mouth. With Live Aquaria orders, you can also specify size: as long as the pushy fish exceeds mouth size, should be ok.

Anthony, 7 might work. You MIGHT consider a neoglypt or dascyllus damsel (one) to keep the 7 concentrating on THAT danger rather than picking on each other. I notice that LA has a golden domino right now: about 4.5 inches max, attitude and territorial, but with species that will push back, ok. The neoglpypt (blue velvet) I think maxes smaller, but the golden is showier.

---------Now, to Spartacus---I'd say ask about triggers and puffers: not sure about those, because they're pushier than I go with, nippy: but exotic and I'd think self protective. Certain of the eels are nice, and the lion can't fit them in his mouth. With Live Aquaria orders, you can also specify size: as long as the pushy fish exceeds mouth size, should be ok.

thanks. i was looking for an active schooling fish. any suggestions. i might just settle with lytail antheis . maybe school of 15

Do you guys think a medium bodied lionfish might be too large to really keep anything else besides a smaller eel in a 75 gallon?

Are fish smart enough to not eat things like waspfish or leaf fish? It seems like if its there a lion fish may gulp it up. I didn't know they were that smart.

I was looking at puffers but there either extremely tiny or really large for a 75 specialty fowlr. I would love to have a puffer but I was under the assumption that it would either pick at the lionfish, get eaten by the lionfish, or grow to big for the aquarium.

From what I understand they are smart enough that's why people often keep fox faces with lionfish because the fox face have poisonous dorsal spines and the lions ignore them

Unhappily a foxface can grow to 10" and freaks if cornered as their size begins to max out the space.

Back