AI Hydra Settings Thread

Have had one of the units go offline once though and had to "re-detect" them with the controller. I hope that doesn't continue to be an issue.

What firmware version are you on? They just released v2.22 with some Hydra fixes (not specified what they fixed). Note that when you install the update, the controller may ask if you want to update Hydra firmware as well (pretty cool actually).

How many lights to you have on your 90?

I ordered 3 + controller + 6ft hanging rail plus legs
Will be here tomorrow morning
Don't want to wish my life away but ill want tomorrow afternoon to fly so I can get home and set them up :)
Changing from 6 ATI 80 watt so hoping for a massive difference on the coral colour
I spoke to the uk sales manager for these
He advises anyone to run them at 45% when new and ramp up over a few months
He said you can't appreciate with the human eye the amount of light the corals get even though they seem darker than T5 he said a lot of people take no notice and damage the corals

What firmware version are you on? They just released v2.22 with some Hydra fixes (not specified what they fixed). Note that when you install the update, the controller may ask if you want to update Hydra firmware as well (pretty cool actually).

How many lights to you have on your 90?

yeah I noticed that!

I was a little taken back that it was updating it self since I thought I already updated the firmware.. then I realized that it was updating the light

pretty awesome updates if you ask me and everything has been working perfectly so far...now I wonder If my beta director will have hydra control on it

just curious to see what people are setting there hydras to. I have had mine for a few days and keep tinkering with them. anybody use the region settings if so what one? and what are your max intensities for each color?

I just mine a few days ago. Looking good so far. I had leds on my nano before but they were non dimmable. They dont compare. The colors with the hydra are awesome. Still playing with setting

So, I've finally got mine going on the main tank. I started with the "easy setup", and initially reduced everything to 50%. I like the additional colors...really rounds out the look in the tank. I tend to like less blue than most folks (blue tanks do not look natural to me), so I reduced the blues a bit, and upped the red and white. Once my tank stabilizes, and I settle in on settings, I'll post my settings.

Using the "easy setup" is the way to go initially...don't waste time figuring out everything at first. Easy setup sets up various timers for you nicely...then you can tweak from there alter on.

I have to say these are a huge improvement over the Sols, and really better anything I've seen out there in this price range. Very happy I made the switch. I also REALLY like the ability to "test run" the schedule with the new controller.

I used a slotted shelf from Lowe's that was part of a bedroom closet "collection" so that I could adjust the distance from the wall without making a hole in the shelf. My ceiling was way too high to hang them from it directly and the "feet" that are available for on the tank mounting are too short IMO. Here's a couple of phone pics from the first week....

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2
I just put mine over my tank 3 days ago. 2 hydras over a 65 tall.
I'm coming from 2 36 panorama actinics and 1 36 marine... I can't figure the right settings on the color.... I'm afraid of bleaching because I don't know how much more power these have over the panoramas. Also my tank has gotten cloudy.... Bacterial bloom from the red and greens? My fish hate the uv... So turned it way down.... I'm use to so much blue with the 36 actinics.... Even with my white almost non existent, I can't seem to get good color.... I'm sure it's my settings.... Help

I have two hydra's over my 75 gallon SeaClear System II acrylic...these settings I got off of youtube- Zack Guevara's tank...I like these the best so far...lights running for 2 weeks now-

25% White
15% Deep Red & Green
50% Deep Blue, UV, Violet, Royal Blue
Moonlight is 6% UV and 1% Royal Blue (recommended by AI support staff the UV that is...I just added the 1% RB) mounted 10 inches above horizontally.
Ramp time 2 hours 10AM to 10PM

Last edited:
Hi all!
I got my Vegas over my 72 gallon tank for eight weeks now and I'm pretty satisfied. Yet, I'm not sure how to set the timers, consequently I went with easy setup. The internet lacks detailed information about timer settings for Vega & Hydra. Nevertheless AI Sol is well documented.
Here's a photo of my new tank with settings as follows:
white: 45
green/red 50
all blues at 55
xc24.jpg

Mounting:
p3e9.jpg

p1070066.jpg

... and I'm still looking for the perfect color.

Dialed lights way down today, and water cleared up....

Uv light is still causing the fish to hide

Wonder why AI recommended the uv in the moonlight?

Jumping in on this thread buying a hydra tomorrow. Any suggestions on how many I will need nits a 93 gallon cube 30x30x24(deep)?

Jumping in on this thread buying a hydra tomorrow. Any suggestions on how many I will need nits a 93 gallon cube 30x30x24(deep)?

I've got that same tank....corner overflow, right? Right now I am trying just one Hydra. Cubes are really hard to light properly. The problem is not the front-to-back...it's the diagonal.

Light output is no issue...it's shadows. In my tank I going for a flatter look (not the typical routine "wall of rock"), so I do t have an issue thus far...but I have another Hydra ready just in case. As this is a new tank I don't want to fry any critters, so I'll see how it goes with one, and add the second if needed for shadow control.

I've got that same tank....corner overflow, right? Right now I am trying just one Hydra. Cubes are really hard to light properly. The problem is not the front-to-back...it's the diagonal.

Light output is no issue...it's shadows. In my tank I going for a flatter look (not the typical routine "wall of rock"), so I do t have an issue thus far...but I have another Hydra ready just in case. As this is a new tank I don't want to fry any critters, so I'll see how it goes with one, and add the second if needed for shadow control.

Im hoping to only need one. I have a backup light just in case. But it is a corner over flow do most my coral and rocks work will be aqua scaped in the middle

Back