AI Hydra Settings Thread

15% White
40% Deep Red & Green
45% UV
50% Deep Blue, Violet, Royal Blue
Moonlight is 3% UV and 1% Royal Blue and 1% Violet(recommended by AI support staff the UV that is...I just added the 1% RB and Violet now) mounted 10 inches above horizontally.
Ramp time 1 hour 100 PM to 11PM (in dark room uneffected by ambient sun light)

Last edited:
15% White
40% Deep Red & Green
45% UV
50% Deep Blue, Violet, Royal Blue
Moonlight is 3% UV and 1% Royal Blue and 1% Violet(recommended by AI support staff the UV that is...I just added the 1% RB and Violet now) mounted 10 inches above horizontally.
Ramp time 1 hour 100 PM to 11PM (in dark room uneffected by ambient sun light)

I always just used royal blue for moonlights

I don't think 1% of any color will make a difference really maybe its purely for aesthetics though( but I am still going to try it lol)

Thinking about ordering the Hydra, was gonna order the Radion gen 2 but started ready about the Hydra. Do you think the Radion is worth the extra money? Don't have SPS and most likely wont anytime soon. I saw people were comparing the Radion pros against the Hydra but nothing with the gen 2 vs the hydra. Any thoughts? Thanks

Just spoke with owner of LFS ordered new tank, hydra fixture and controller. In speaking with him he had an open box mazspectra for 470, it's a 24" fixture BUT it has no UV and doesn't compare to controls of the AI. So I don't think the extra money means your get.ting a better light, your just spending more money! FYI there is a new firmware update so now on top of all you can do with the AI fixtures you can program it to mimic your local weather forecasts! Probably pointless but still an awesome feature

I was a preorder on the Hyrdas, started with them at 45% across the board, now im at 55% across the board with UV at 60% and favor whites. storms enabled with lightning off after finding my clown in the overflow twice. other than that the lights are fantastic, should be ordering another in a week or so.

I was a preorder on the Hyrdas, started with them at 45% across the board, now im at 55% across the board with UV at 60% and favor whites. storms enabled with lightning off after finding my clown in the overflow twice. other than that the lights are fantastic, should be ordering another in a week or so.

Is it true that one of the programs is an acclimation program? That would be awesome since I'm not super tech savvy and a bit worried anything other then the preset programs may screw me up!

I've got that same tank....corner overflow, right? Right now I am trying just one Hydra. Cubes are really hard to light properly. The problem is not the front-to-back...it's the diagonal.

Light output is no issue...it's shadows. In my tank I going for a flatter look (not the typical routine "wall of rock"), so I do t have an issue thus far...but I have another Hydra ready just in case. As this is a new tank I don't want to fry any critters, so I'll see how it goes with one, and add the second if needed for shadow control.

Sorry forgot to answer you. Yes it is the corner over flow model. Did you(or anyone) happen to buy the stand for it made by marineland. It's 30 inches high, but I really need to know the inside dimensions. Looked on marinelands website and the "Q & A" makes no sense. In one question they tell the person the height is 26.50" BUT in another question they tell the person the inside dimension is 28.88" in height, so the inside is higher then the outside!:strange:

Is it true that one of the programs is an acclimation program? That would be some since I'm not super tech savvy and a bit worried anything other then the preset programs may screw me up!

Yes there is a coral acclimation setting, you can tell it how many weeks to run and it increases the output accordingly.

Sorry forgot to answer you. Yes it is the corner over flow model. Did you(or anyone) happen to buy the stand for it made by marineland. It's 30 inches high, but I really need to know the inside dimensions. Looked on marinelands website and the "Q & A" makes no sense. In one question they tell the person the height is 26.50" BUT in another question they tell the person the inside dimension is 28.88" in height, so the inside is higher then the outside!:strange:

Sorry...I built mine into a hallway corner closet (two sides exposed, other two back to fudge and makeup/salt water). You should be able to get the dimensions online somewhere...surely someone has this stand.

Have had my hydra running for 2weeks. Current settings are:
Whites 26%
Red 8%
Green 18%
Royal and deep blue 60%
Uv 45%
Violet 50%
Start 8am
End 6:30pm
3:30 ramp
Here's a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
Have had my hydra running for 2weeks. Current settings are:
Whites 26%
Red 8%
Green 18%
Royal and deep blue 60%
Uv 45%
Violet 50%
Start 8am
End 6:30pm
3:30 ramp
Here's a pic

That's an awesome looking tank.

Here comes the dumb question of the day; what is ramp time? I have an idea what it might be but not 100% sure:rolleyes:

That's an awesome looking tank.

Here comes the dumb question of the day; what is ramp time? I have an idea what it might be but not 100% sure:rolleyes:

ramp time is how long it take the lights to hit max and min values, i use it in place of sunrise sunset since sunrise sunset is voided when using region settings.

And to be clear, the "ramp" starts at the start time, and ends at the end time plus the ramp time.

So, if you did a startup time at 8am, and had a 3 hour ramp, things would "ramp up" from whatever their settings were at 8am (from the previous timer) to their final values at 11am. If you had shutdown time at 10pm, it would "ramp down" starting at 10pm to 1am (probably not what you want...so you "back off" the ramp time from when you want the ramp to "end", and set that as the start of the shutdown. In other words, if "lights out" was desired at 10pm, with a 3 hour ramp you would start the shutdown at 7pm.

If this is done via "easy setup" it will adjust other timers accordingly. I think the easy setup is one of the cooler functional features of the controller.

And to be clear, the "ramp" starts at the start time, and ends at the end time plus the ramp time.

So, if you did a startup time at 8am, and had a 3 hour ramp, things would "ramp up" from whatever their settings were at 8am (from the previous timer) to their final values at 11am. If you had shutdown time at 10pm, it would "ramp down" starting at 10pm to 1am (probably not what you want...so you "back off" the ramp time from when you want the ramp to "end", and set that as the start of the shutdown. In other words, if "lights out" was desired at 10pm, with a 3 hour ramp you would start the shutdown at 7pm.

If this is done via "easy setup" it will adjust other timers accordingly. I think the easy setup is one of the cooler functional features of the controller.

Thank you both for that answer that's kinda what I thought it was but better to ask a dumb question than remain a dumb person.

Here's an always good question that always get a huge variance of answers: how long do you have your lights on? My current LED(old school 1watt 120 watt fixture) is on from 8am to 6pm but I constantly worry that it's not enough or too much(hence my hair algae bloom)

I don't know. Lol. Just messing around with the settings the past 2 weeks and that's the color I like the best. That is correct hilgert. My end time is 6:30 but with the ramp down it is 10pm until all lights off except 1% royal moonlight all night

I love the ramping feature the most. That the main reason I bought these leds. It makes sunrise/sunset so natural.

Thank you both for that answer that's kinda what I thought it was but better to ask a dumb question than remain a dumb person.

Here's an always good question that always get a huge variance of answers: how long do you have your lights on? My current LED(old school 1watt 120 watt fixture) is on from 8am to 6pm but I constantly worry that it's not enough or too much(hence my hair algae bloom)

I try my hardest to simulate time as it would be in the ocean. that being said my lights come up with the sunrise and hit lunar cycle at sundown. i monitor sunrise sunset times and usually adjust my ramp time weekly. So 7am -9pm thereabout my lights would be on during summer and probably 8am -8pm for winter. my Beta Director arrives tomorrow and i should be able to pull real time weather and times.

Last edited:
Back