AI Hydra Settings Thread

I have two 52's with the new controller, thinking I might add the third one. Two questions the first I think I know the answer, the controller will see and control all three correct? Next, if I choose a 52HD will my same controller operate it as well?

A controller is not needed with the new HydraHDs. They work off of wifi and connect with the myAI app. Not used with the controller.

So to answer my question as I understand what your saying in a word, no the HD's regardless of however fantastic and glorious they maybe are not " backwards engineered " and if I bought one or two to add to my existing lights then they would not work with them rather would be controlled separately by another system. IMO, this type of marketing is what kills companies, AI you've been warned! I spend in excess of $1200 in July, less than 4 months ago for the newest version of their product and they come out with with an "improved version" of the very same light that won't be controlled by the same controller! I bought my lights from Salty Supply, I learned this weekend from Chris who is with Salty's customer service they no longer sell AI, just maybe they smelled a RAT, A VERY BIG ONE.

So to answer my question as I understand what your saying in a word, no the HD's regardless of however fantastic and glorious they maybe are not " backwards engineered " and if I bought one or two to add to my existing lights then they would not work with them rather would be controlled separately by another system. IMO, this type of marketing is what kills companies, AI you've been warned! I spend in excess of $1200 in July, less than 4 months ago for the newest version of their product and they come out with with an "improved version" of the very same light that won't be controlled by the same controller! I bought my lights from Salty Supply, I learned this weekend from Chris who is with Salty's customer service they no longer sell AI, just maybe they smelled a RAT, A VERY BIG ONE.

You do have options that may or may not work for you. If you use the AI director, you could connect your previous lights as well as the new HD lights. It is an expense, but not very costly.
Times change and so do the options. I agree with you that purchasing a product and having a newer version come out a few weeks later is frustrating. Same thing with most electronics such as cell phones. Luckily, you may not be out of luck and the director will solve your issues.

Hello all. I'm new to the Hydras. Can someone please help me with understanding the coral acclimation setting. I clicked it "on" and was wondering about my control settings for every color. Do I still have to keep the percentages at 50% or does the coral acclimation setting does it automatically not matter how high the percentages are? Thanks in advance.

Hello all. I'm new to the Hydras. Can someone please help me with understanding the coral acclimation setting. I clicked it "on" and was wondering about my control settings for every color. Do I still have to keep the percentages at 50% or does the coral acclimation setting does it automatically not matter how high the percentages are? Thanks in advance.

It reduces you current setting by the pecentage. Example. If you run a channel at 60% the coral acclimation will reduce it to 30% and slowly bring it back up to 60% over time. You can see this in the sliders. They represent the actual output of each channel with every thing figured in.

It reduces you current setting by the pecentage. Example. If you run a channel at 60% the coral acclimation set to 50% will reduce it to 30% and slowly bring it back up to 60% over time. You can see this in the sliders. They represent the actual output of each channel with every thing figured in.

Welcome aboard bud. You can set your intensitys at whatever you think your max will be once acclimated, or your preferred color for the tank. You can use the C.A mode and run it at a percentage of that untill you reach your desired setting once acclimated . So in other words if you know your gonna go lets say for example 100% on every color, but you set your C.A mode at lets say 40% to start. Means your nunbers will actually be 60 % max. Get it ??

It reduces you current setting by the pecentage. Example. If you run a channel at 60% the coral acclimation set to 50% will reduce it to 30% and slowly bring it back up to 60% over time. You can see this in the sliders. They represent the actual output of each channel with every thing figured in.

That explains it. Thank you so much! ツ

Welcome aboard bud. You can set your intensitys at whatever you think your max will be once acclimated, or your preferred color for the tank. You can use the C.A mode and run it at a percentage of that untill you reach your desired setting once acclimated . So in other words if you know your gonna go lets say for example 100% on every color, but you set your C.A mode at lets say 40% to start. Means your nunbers will actually be 60 % max. Get it ??

Thanks for breaking it down. I was scared of burning my corals. I will definitely set my intensities higher.

ghostman thanks for the response, yes I was a little fumed in my post but there are quality manufactures that engineer their products to work both ways. I'll check into the director. Do you think the HD's would be worth the extra $100? If I do get one it will be the center of three fixtures over a 36 long x 24 wide x 24 deep tank.

ghostman thanks for the response, yes I was a little fumed in my post but there are quality manufactures that engineer their products to work both ways. I'll check into the director. Do you think the HD's would be worth the extra $100? If I do get one it will be the center of three fixtures over a 36 long x 24 wide x 24 deep tank.

I'm new to the Hydra, so I couldn't answer if it is worth more. The channels do go above 100%, and I like a blue look to the tank, so I like it. With your previous fixtures, it may not be worthwhile. It would be interesting to see them side by side to judge.

I made the plunge and dumped my Kessil 360we for the new AI hydra HD 26. Now I have all the control but don't know what to set it to or how high off the water. Can I get some feed back on where your lights are set at.

I feel your pain 52's came out 2 weeks after I bought my Hydra's I also have a 6ft tank. That being said I must give AI a big :thumbsup: for their research and innovations, they seem to improve every step of the way. How many Iphone's have they made?
One thing I can say about AI is their fantastic customer service, they are quick and happily replace any issues. I had a fan shut down on me and my UV channel burnt out (didn't notice the fixture shutting off) with out hesitation or hoops to jump through they sent me replacements and got me up and running with in 4 days. Not many companies do this.
I started 5 yrs ago with stupid vertex LED promising control ability that never happened. Yes its frustrating but as the tech gets better things will hopefully improve and lower prices.

Thanks Salty, I may just save up a little longer and get the 52HD with director. BTW are you using the director, if so how do you like it?

Please correct me if I am wrong but..................

For those getting any of the new HD models, no need for a Director or Controller. Your PC will control the lights thru a wireless connection and the AI website.

Back