AI Hydra Settings Thread

I have 2 hydra 52 hds over a 50 gallon 24”x24”x20 cube. I also have an apogee mq 510 par meter. Let me know if any of y’all would like some par readings.

Hi, this is a great thread and have learnt a lot. It seems its mostly geared towards SPS lighting hence just wondering what would be good for a mixed reef setup - I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 with 2x AI Prime HD's about 10" above water line.
There's a pic of my tank attached.

Recently I was trying out "Dans Reef Respiration V3 LPS" profile
and "ai-signature-nanokaren" but not sure if they suit my tank (see link below for pic of profile). Orcus Varuna and BRS AB+ profiles look interesting but also unsure if they would suit. Any suggestions for my layout?

This link is a share with a heap of profiles (inc pics) I've recently collected including AI-Signature, David Saxby's, Dan's Reef, Orcus Varuna and BRS.

Attachments

• IMAG0927~2b.jpg
    IMAG0927~2b.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi, this is a great thread and have learnt a lot. It seems its mostly geared towards SPS lighting hence just wondering what would be good for a mixed reef setup - I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 with 2x AI Prime HD's about 10" above water line.

There's a pic of my tank attached.

Recently I was trying out "Dans Reef Respiration V3 LPS" profile

and "ai-signature-nanokaren" but not sure if they suit my tank (see link below for pic of profile). Orcus Varuna and BRS AB+ profiles look interesting but also unsure if they would suit. Any suggestions for my layout?

This link is a share with a heap of profiles (inc pics) I've recently collected including AI-Signature, David Saxby's, Dan's Reef, Orcus Varuna and BRS.

With two AI primes above a reefer 250 you could run 100% all channels if you wanted on a mixed reef lol. But to answer your question just because my profiles have sps in front of them doesn't mean they won't work for a mixed reef. I actually designed and have used them for years over a mixed reef and am currently using it on my 14 gallon mixed reef at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just switched from a Red Sea C-max 250 to a Zoomed Lowboy frag tank setup. my lights are 15" off the water and the tank dimensions are 48 x 24 x 10, most of my acros are sitting 3-6 BWL because of the way it is plumbed. im interested in switching from the david saxby preset to the SPS AB+ settings in this thread... how should I compensate for such low water depth?

For an acro tank it's all about acclimation. Adam a Battlecorals runs 250 watt halides and reef breeder photons 100% all channels over 10" raceways. I'm quite sure he's getting 500-100 par on those corals. The key is that he runs the lights high (24") to diffuse the light. If at all possible I would get the lights up higher since the tank maybe 20-24" awl. Also on a 48" wide tank you will likely need a 3rd 52HD at some point to reduce shading.

With two AI primes above a reefer 250 you could run 100% all channels if you wanted on a mixed reef lol. But to answer your question just because my profiles have sps in front of them doesn't mean they won't work for a mixed reef. I actually designed and have used them for years over a mixed reef and am currently using it on my 14 gallon mixed reef at work.

Thanks OV. Just concerned that I might burn something!! Will give one of yours a go and see what happens...

Just got back into the hobby with a Red Sea Max E170. It came with the AI Hydra 26 HD. What would be good settings to run on this for an SPS focused reef? What about a mixed reef of SPS and LPS?

I'm currently using the Red Sea Reef Spec settings that came on the printout. Not sure if that's supposed to be any good.

Thanks!

Try my SPS AB+ settings or the BRS AB+ settings for either a mixed reef or sps dominant tank. For reference I have a reefer 170 which is a mixed reef and am running an ati powermodule on it which is essentially equivalent to 4t5's and a hydra 26HD.

Thanks OV. Just concerned that I might burn something!! Will give one of yours a go and see what happens...

Use the acclimation modes try 30% for 2 months. I have never killed an acro from too little light (slows their growth considerably) but have rtn many by putting too much light on them too quickly. The slow acclimation will give them plenty of time to adjust to the new tank. Also, if some of your acros go poof after the tank change don't automatically assume it was the lights. I have never had much luck with acros surviving tank moves and the one thing I have learned with leds is to just pick a schedule and don't change it again. The constant tinkering we want to do with the leds is acropora kryptonite lol

For an acro tank it's all about acclimation. Adam a Battlecorals runs 250 watt halides and reef breeder photons 100% all channels over 10" raceways. I'm quite sure he's getting 500-100 par on those corals. The key is that he runs the lights high (24") to diffuse the light. If at all possible I would get the lights up higher since the tank maybe 20-24" awl. Also on a 48" wide tank you will likely need a 3rd 52HD at some point to reduce shading.

Thank you Orcus. i'm actually running 2 26's and am getting good colorup from the 'stock' SPS AB+ with Respiration after 3 weeks. do you think I should increase V, RB, and B by 25% in the peaks and 21% in the respiration period? should i increase RGW as well?

Anyone running halides and LED?

I added the 400w pendants back onto my tank and wanted to see what LED scheduled those that are running both are using.

Thank you Orcus. i'm actually running 2 26's and am getting good colorup from the 'stock' SPS AB+ with Respiration after 3 weeks. do you think I should increase V, RB, and B by 25% in the peaks and 21% in the respiration period? should i increase RGW as well?

If your getting good coloration and growth then don't change anything. I eventually removed the respiration peaks from my schedule and have been running a schedule with 90 uv/v/rb/b 20 w/r/g 7hrs of max light and 2hr ramps. But the key with leds is just to pick a setting and never change it again. IMO that's why we all had so much success with halides and t5 yet struggle with leds.

Hi,

I have 3 Hydras 26 HD and plan to build a tank with 50" x 24" x 20", for mixed reef.
Do you think the lights are strong enough?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Dont call me lazy, but i cant find the AB+ profile for an Hydra 52 NON HD. I have seen many pages of the thread still cant find it, can somebody help me please??

Hi Guys,

Dont call me lazy, but i cant find the AB+ profile for an Hydra 52 NON HD. I have seen many pages of the thread still cant find it, can somebody help me please??

Just set the light to 100 Blue and violet channels and 24 White red green channels with 7 hrs at those values and 1-2hr ramps. That will get you close enough

Back