Aiptasia's on coral?

skeets

Eric,
I read your insider article and well I am in the midst of getting rid of aiptasia myself. In my current 120g they are everywhere. It started with one and I didnt take too evasive of action, and well now like you I agree... throw out whatever it is on, no messing around.

I am upgrading my 120g to a 180g. I am only keeping a few pieces of rock which I have already boiled, dried out, and then let sit in warm freshwater for about a week to get all the stuff to decay. I purchased all new rock, and now my rock is curing with those pieces i killed mixed in to seed them. I will be starting my 180g with all new water, and it will be set up next to my old tank so I can let it get established before i move my livestock. I will be transfering only my fish, inverts, and coral into the new tank. I will be breaking every coral piece(sps) off their rocks and just re-gluing them to my new rock. I do have some zoo's/ricordia and I plan to not transfer these over as there are aiptasias growing between them.

So now to my question. Will aiptasias attatch to my sps coral? I dont physically see any, but i know that doesnt mean they arent there. And i also am worried about my snail shells, Should I just start with a new cleanup crew? I will not be tossing my sps collection however, I just cant chance it. I did think about quarantining, them, however I really dont have the means to do this for my large collection.
Is there anyway to ensure that aiptasia wont be on the sps?
Thanks!

Well, a quarantine tank with observation over about two weeks is as much time as you would need to see any undeveloped pedal lacerates on exposed skeleton develop into small anemones and be dealt wtih.

It is unlikely they will attach to living tissue, although they can attach to zoanthid stalks, but don't stay there for long before walking down to the rock between polyps. I have never seen any attach directly to living stony coral tissue, althought hey can and will settle right up to the edge of tissue and even on any exposed septa not covered with tissue. But, quarantine will allow you to deal with any that do that.

I will have a review of a product designed to kill Aiptasia very soon for the magazine...stay tuned.

Because of what you said, unfortunately I think Ill have to leave my zoos behind =/ I dont want to risk it.

I hope you are reviewing Joes Juice cause ill be ready with a bottle of that incase i do see anything develop =D
Thanks,
DR

Back