Air Scrubbing New Craze on Facebook....?

Tang and Chips

One of my Facebook groups has been ranting and raving about air scrubbing working miracles on there tanks. Quite a few members saying they have instantly seen coral growth and clear water?

From what I understand it's simply adding fine air at night to your tank. 10 hrs the first week and the dropping down to 3 hrs.

Has anybody heard or tried this?

Here's some info from my group.

Exploring the Innovative
Twenty-First-Century Reefing

Elegant Corals, LLC's research, in the reefing hobby, focuses on new types of reef keeping and coral propogation for the 21st century as well as development of remote coral propogation systems. In recent years, we have been devoting our efforts toward research on the application of microbubbles and nanobubbles in the reefing field to help accelerate growth and increase health and viability in corals and other marine organisms.

Microbubbles and nanobubbles are incredibly small bubbles measuring 50 μm (0.05 mm) or less in size"”to understand just how small this is, one might note that the diameter of a human hair is approximately 70 to 80 μm.

Standard bubbles rise to the top of the liquid, burst upon reaching the surface and disappear; however, microbubbles and nanobubbles have very low volumes and buoyancies, enabling them to remain for long periods of time inside the liquid. Furthermore, these tiny bubbles dissolve readily, enabling more efficient utilization of oxygen and other such gases. Due to the unique properties that differentiate these bubbles from standard varieties, they have been receiving increasing attention lately throughout a wide variety of fields and are already being applied widely"”for example, in wastewater treatment and cleaning of water supply pipes and industrial components in industrial operations, for oyster farming and cleaning before shipment in the marine products industry, etc.

Just what uses might these tiny bubbles have in the reefing industry? Let's start with the example of artificially farmed acropora and montipora species growing: When comparing the use of flow and turbulence with microbubbles and nanobubbles to deliver oxygen in a culture solution, we know that the latter approach achieves 10%"“15% improvements in growth, calcification, and color. Depending on the type of coral, increased growth rates can also be achieved, which reduces harvesting and grow times. Although RO is commonly utilized as top off water and makeup water, current reverse osmosis water and the aquarium water in a typical reef system, oxygen concentrations are so low they approach 0% in certain locations. If this type of oxygen-poor water is used in coral growing and reef keeping, oxygen will not be sufficiently absorbed through the coral membranes, resulting in lowered intake of nutrients and water and overall poor and slow coral growth.

Microbubbles and nanobubbles can be effortlessly dissolved in the water column to supply oxygen and remedy this problem. This approach has already been put to use by some coral famers and hobbyists, and it is proving to be an effective means of remedying, chemical free, many common tank ailments and stunted coral growth.

Successful coral disease control is also a problem faced by many in in the reefing hobby. If a pathogen enters the culture solution, this infectious agent can spread throughout the entire system and cause widespread damage to coral frags and even other more mature coral colonies. Even in more enclosed, more germ-free reef system environments, this danger cannot be completely eliminated. Because the use of broad spectrum antibiotic chemicals in the reefing industry can be detrimental to the overall system, culture tanks, reefing apparatuses, panels and racks used for holding coral frags, and other such equipment must be sterilized each time using boiled water, chlorine-based materials, or other such means.

Since 2001, one of the founders of Elegant Corals, LLC, had been practicing this method even before we had the technology to record and test repeatedly what was happening... But our founder knew that SOMETHING was working then.

As technology increased and developed into what we have presently, such as , high speed microscopic cameras, computers, digital videography, and better understanding of the scoence of why bubbles form and their purpose in nature, we at Elegant Corals have built upon our founder's knowledge and continued down the rabbit hole of micro and nanobubble application in the reefing industry.

Elegant Corals, LLC of Chicago, publically announced and published it in the summer of 2015, the correct controlled generation and delivery methods of micro and nanobubbles in the reefing industry and reefing hobby.

As mentioned above, microbubbles and nanobubbles can accelerate coral, invertebrate and fish growth. Because sterilization and cleaning in reefing expends both time and money, acceleration of coral growth and reduction of sterilization-related labor can increase the number of annual harvests and bolster profits accordingly. Thus microbubble and nanobubble technology shows great potential, and the purpose of its use is stability in marine facilities and reefing industry operations. We engage in experimental reefing at our facility in order to better understand these effects and demerits while establishing a base field of knowledge as quickly as possible.

Recently, we have also been undertaking efforts based on the research theme of "œreefing for enjoyment and therapeutic purposes," which began with a focus on the growth of reefing in apartment complexes and similar urban environments as a form of interior decorating that creates a soothing, relaxing effect. While searching for aesthetically pleasing ways to shine lights in a marine aquarium for display purposes, some hobbyists have informed me that fish appetite increased, corals, placed under LED lighting, and invertebrate pod population, grew faster than usual.

Although many other hobbyists had doubts about this phenomenon at first, it became clear that that the overall health of many reef systems were healthier and the fish, corals, snails and other marine organisms had somehow grown bigger than those of other systems in the same given period of time (6 months so far); we, at Elegant Corals, LLC, are currently conducting research to discover the scientific explanations and to translate them into common knowledge.
The reefing industry had previously thought that bubbles (any size) hindered their growth and could create problems"”discoveries such as these, which force us to rethink our perceptions, are what make the research process so fascinating.

I know of a couple of guys local to me that have tried this really no effect good or bad probably just another fad .

Haha... And to think that I've spent hours designing and redesigning the baffles in my sump to keep microbubbles from the skimmer out of the DT;)

Seriously, though, I would think that with a properly sized skimmer the water would stay well oxygenated anyway.

Seriously, though, I would think that with a properly sized skimmer the water would stay well oxygenated anyway.

Thats what I was saying. What does it matter if its in your display or sump. I rather keep microbubbles in my skimmer/sump.

Well I am testing this tonight as several people off my Facebook group have all said they have seen great results in skimming and coral extension. But don't take the word of a few crazy Brits, Mike Pilata is also trailing this. lol There is a little bit of info on the net if you Google micro bubble scrubber.

I have attached two wooden air stones to my wave makers and will run them for 10 hours for the first week and 3 hours a night there after. I will post results.

I have two skimmers but this method requires much more fine air bubbles in the display.

Sounds like the marketing blurb from a Twinstar. I've never seen a skimmer that makes bubbles as fine as that device. The bubbles are so fine they waft through the water like smoke and wouldn't be caught in a bubble trap.

How old is the tank? What were you doing before? What was the measured growth rate before doing this? Had anything else changed? How small were the corals before and how long were they in your tank?

not really sure how this would be cheesy advertising none of these groups profit 1 cent from any of this. I have been doing this for 2 hours every morning with the lights out and there is a difference in water clarity, which means your lights are able to penetrate the water better. If you want to look at it as being a more powerful skimmer that is a possibility, but I only spent 15 on the pump (used on ebay works great I wouldn't skimp on the air pump though if you are not lucky with finding a good used one spend buy a good one) and a couple of dollars on an air stone. I have gotten some better growth on my SPS since doing this. It is easy and cheap to set up if you are curious about the results I would say go for it and try it yourself.

side note I was worried about salt creep, I guess the bubbles are so small I have not had any salt creep anywhere.

How old is the tank? What were you doing before? What was the measured growth rate before doing this? Had anything else changed? How small were the corals before and how long were they in your tank?

I have found that although a lot of people are not interested in scrubbing on this site its seems to be very popular on other sites and local clubs. So there is a lot info out there from people who doing this and are reporting to have had success.

My tank is an upgrade from May 2015 it's 5ft long and about 27 high with 8 X 54w T5's. My montipora digitata's seem to have started really grow. Sorry I haven't been very scientific about this.

I had no measurable results, it was not a miracle cure or anything. It is possible the water is a clearer, hard to say though. FWIW it did not bother any coral as many presumed it would and there are no micro bubbles in the display in the morning.

Hard for me to see why this would make any difference one way or the other. A properly circulated/filtered tank should approach oxygen saturation anyhow. Adding bubblers just seems like a good way to coat all the surfaces in my home with salt residue. I would debate the statement that 'Microbubbles and nanobubbles can be effortlessly dissolved in the water column' as that's not been my observation. Seems like an updated version of the classic misunderstanding of how an airstone oxygenates. It's not adding O2 directly, rather providing a form of circulation to bring old water to the surface where it is exposed to the air.

I call bull$hit on this one .....

I did this on my LPS tank, put a wooden airstone in front of my Gyre pump and ran it for an hour... It causes all sorts of gunk to be lifted up out of my rock work and it went over the overflow and into my filter socks.

I don't see the benefit of doing this every day, as well I ran this setup twice a day for a few weeks, and after the initial de gunking, I haven't seen dramatic effects.

I can see this as a too to run once a month, or maybe once a week, as the bubbles really do bind to loose organics causing them to float up and be swept away. But actually effecting the organics in the water column, well that is what a skimmer is for.

Hmm. I haven't really formed an opinion yet and still have an open mind on the topic.

The only benefit that seemed plausible to me at first glance was the idea of a micro bubble hitching a ride on an organic particle, allowing it to stay suspended for just a few more moments...long enough to take a ride into the overflow and then down to the sump where it can be trapped in a sock or skimmed out. We already know that many particles in the water end up on the rocks, feeding algae, due to van der Waal's force. So if all of this is true (I'm not saying it is), it would be beneficial.

But the post from the FB group has many characteristics of pseudo science or myth making IMO. The talk of the all the extensive research & studies? Ok. Who, when? Published? Double blind, peer reviewed? Where can we find & read these studies? But if it is all a myth, at least it seems like one that would cause no harm beyond possibly salt creep.

We know oxygen saturation in water is limited by temperature (colder water absorbs more, hotter less). At any given temperature, there is a level of dissolved oxygen saturation that can not be exceed even if artificially high levels of oxygen are added. So if an aquarium has a bubbling surface your water is probably is at or near saturation, as already stated above. This claim would seem to be super simple to test in a laboratory setting.

I have to give these curious aquariasts credit for exploring new ideas. It's how the hobby moves forwards.

Back