Alan's 180g Reef

It did cross my mind. I'm unsure if I'll have MH, T5, or a combo. It may just be more efficient to run a single 250w MH w/ that Lumenarc reflector, plus I'm curious to see how the Radium lamp compares to the previous ones I've had.

Maybe I'll just get another 300g stock tank and make it a hot tub. That way I have something to relax in while I'm looking at the tank :)
300%20gal%20stock%20tank%20hot%20tub.JPG

Im not using my moving light rail anymore, if you wanted to try it out you are more than welcome to have it. Its about 8+ feet of rail and electric trolly. I have no more use for it.

That's a LOT of pictures, Alan! pretty interesting the transformations our tanks go through in a couple of years, both from equipment and livestock points.

I'll be curious what the AAs do for you. Is that the only supplement you ordered? I will be getting some as well, and also a bottle of Pohl's to try out, but I have decided to switch to vodka dosing in an attempt to save money on GFO, and I don't want to change so much at once. Keep us updated in the meantime.

wow...this is a great looking system. one question, how did you do the front of the wall?
does the tank stick out 1/2" from the framing to be flush with the drywall? or is there a 1/2" ledge on the trim?

Sweet, road trip to Lincoln in the near future.
I hope to have things back together sometime in the next few months. As soon as I get to that point I would definitely be up for a tank tour to have you guys come check it out in person.

Im not using my moving light rail anymore, if you wanted to try it out you are more than welcome to have it. Its about 8+ feet of rail and electric trolly. I have no more use for it.
Thanks for the offer. Once I get the 300g moved into the fish room I'll have a better idea of how things will layout in there.

That's a LOT of pictures, Alan! pretty interesting the transformations our tanks go through in a couple of years, both from equipment and livestock points.

I'll be curious what the AAs do for you. Is that the only supplement you ordered? I will be getting some as well, and also a bottle of Pohl's to try out, but I have decided to switch to vodka dosing in an attempt to save money on GFO, and I don't want to change so much at once. Keep us updated in the meantime.
Yeah, it's nice to go back and revisit the build progress and realize how small of frags I started with. So many equipment changes, but I guess that's the hobby right? :)

I ordered two bottles of the Salifert Amino Acids. I'm not sure how it compares to the zeo or other brands, but hopefully it's similar. At least to the point where I'd see something if it was AAs. I am dosing those at the recommended levels once per week from the bottle. I am now feeding the following 3x per day:
- Reef Chili
- Coral Frenzy
- Ardent Cyclop Eeze
- Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 pellets & flake
- Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 pellets & flake
- Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake
- Selcon
- A squirt of more amino acids
- Hikari frozen mysis shrimp
- Ocean Nutrition frozen clam cube
- Ocean Nutrition frozen algae mix
All mixed together w/ RO water and frozen in small serving containers

wow...this is a great looking system. one question, how did you do the front of the wall?
does the tank stick out 1/2" from the framing to be flush with the drywall? or is there a 1/2" ledge on the trim?
Thanks. The tank rests at the very front edge of the stand, so it has a 1/2" ledge with the drywall. I guess the biggest woodworking challenge is notching it out to fit around the plastic trim on the tank and sit flush against everything to look nice.

Very nice Alan! Great photo and video work also. It's easy to get trigger happy with those DSLRs huh?

Looking forward to the hot tub build thread :lmao:

+1
You know it. Good thing it wasn't in speed shooting mode or we'd be on page 40 by now :)

Just stopping by to say hi. This is Hank BTW. ;) I'm pretty sure I've seen most of the pics before, but not in one place... That is staggering.

Last edited:
Here's the start of the rebuild...

300g stock tank filling with fresh water
2009-12-17%2020.59.54.jpg

Reeflo Dart pump w/ temporary setup
2010-01-11%2023.09.24.jpg

Added 100 lbs. of Pukani rock from BRS
2010-01-11%2023.10.20.jpg

2010-01-11%2023.09.43.jpg

Is the 300 gallon stock tank for growing out frags or do you plan a lookdown type display? Is it hooked up to the main display system?

I have a question for you Alan, with the total water volume getting very much larger have you considered a skimmer that can process more water volume? Or, are you sticking to what you have since it is more bio-load based? I suppose it doesn't really matter either way unless the stock tanks are to be getting some fish.

Is the 300 gallon stock tank for growing out frags or do you plan a lookdown type display? Is it hooked up to the main display system?
The stock tank will be used to consolidate and replace the three smaller ones I have now (fuge, frag, and sump). I'm not sure exactly what the layout will be, but I think skimmer and chaeto on one side, a full sheet of eggcrate in the middle, and the rest an open area for a single fish. It will sit directly behind my display tank, which leaves me enough room to walk all the way around the back and sides. Plumbing will be a lot easier too since it will just need a slight angle to dump from the display to the stock tank.

Maybe something like this:
300g_layout.jpg

I have a question for you Alan, with the total water volume getting very much larger have you considered a skimmer that can process more water volume? Or, are you sticking to what you have since it is more bio-load based? I suppose it doesn't really matter either way unless the stock tanks are to be getting some fish.
I've considered it, but I need to make sure I actually need one. The 180g display will be pretty full, but the rest of the system is a lot of open water and chaeto. I'll probably only have a single fish in the 300g. I'd like to try something that usually can't go in a normal community tank or something that requires a little bit larger tank. Maybe a Sohal tang, but I'm open to ideas.

I'm going to use eggcrate set vertically to divide the sections. I'm planning on leaving a little space surrounding the chaeto.
Have you thought of wrapping the eggcrate with a screen or something to try to keep the chaeto within its section and out of the skimmer? Would you forsee any problems having the plastic type screen in the tank?

I messed around with my macro lens tonight while looking at some white flatworms. I wanted to ID these guys to make sure they weren't contributing to my issues, but appears they are harmless.

Here is a kit lens shot from the side of my refugium (Little white specs in the center of the image)
IMG_2842.JPG

I siphoned a few out, put them in a blue cap, and switched to my Canon 100mm macro lens:
IMG_2849.JPG

Added extension ring set to get some more closeups:
IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

? My first thought was that baby snails look like the white specks, but I now don't know if you have far surpassed the ability of my eyeballs with your zoom lense...

I'm doing that system revamp now and will need to scrap off lots of zoa frags to clean my rock for reaquascaping. I'll definitely have plenty of frags after that

Any ideas on what look you are going for with your aquascape? Do you plan on using any PVC and ties or just the good-ol' fashioned balancing act?

Back