Algae Control Issue, Please Help!

evokid511

So little background on the tank, its been up and running for a little over four months now, took it slow, let it cycle for about 6 weeks, then added a fish here and a coral there, nothing crazy in the tank, but for the last two months or so i have had the worlds biggest problem with this algae outbreak, and i have no idea to stop it, or even what it is classified as :headwallblue:

Equipment -
SCA 45 Gallon
Hydra 26 ( lighting schedule below in pictures)
Bubble Magnus Curve 5 Skimmer
Jebao 9000 Return Pump
Jebao DP-4 Dosing Pump
Jebao PP-8 Wavemaker x2
Cobalt NeoTherm 200w Heater
TurboTwist 6x UV Sterilizer
AquaMaxx XS Reactors

Livestock-
PJ Cardinal
Flame Hawkfish
Blue Chromis
Leopard Wrasse
10 red leg hermits
electric blue hermit
bunch of margarita snails
and a handful of other mics snails from reeflceaners.org cuc

Dosing -
BRS 2 Part Cal & ALK
Red Sea NO3 PO4x
Red Sea Reef Energy A+B

Levels -
Nitrite - 0
pH - 8.2
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0
Calc - 420
Alk - 7.5-8.0

All testing equipment is Red Sea ( Algae Control Pro yada yada) i understand that i am running a low nutrient system, but i can not for the love in me get rid of this alga... any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Here is my lighting schedule

I am beyond happy to tell you about this because I was just in your situation and was about to lose my mind and had tried EVERYTHING to no avail. My LFS owner knows the guy that came out with a product called Algae Buster, which he told me about when I was venting about my issues and I waited... And waited... And waited for a damn month for it to be released after the FDA approved it. I finally got it last week and all I did was put two capsules in my tank and wait. It's supposed to be a 14 day process, but today after not even a week, almost all the algae is GONE. It's absolutely insane how well this stuff has worked. Ill share my embarrassing pics with you too, but I'm telling you man, this is your answer!!! :) it's not on the mass market yet, but my guy is selling it on his website and has a bulk of it coming in tomorrow so get on it!

www.reefkoicorals.com/product/reefhd-algae-buster/

First pic is before and second is at day 6. Straight up insane man!!
ba5409936fc9227a25ad02c47309295c.jpg
a4cd1a57d01b63295c7adc6705d363fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I can't tell but is the dark green cyano? or is it a hair algae..
Looks like green cyano from here which is not an algae..

I question why you are dosing too with so little corals?
And I'd stop the red sea A&B as those aminos are likely just fueling your algae more than anything else..

What is your current water change schedule too?

I can't tell but is the dark green cyano? or is it a hair algae..
Looks like green cyano from here which is not an algae..

I question why you are dosing too with so little corals?
And I'd stop the red sea A&B as those aminos are likely just fueling your algae more than anything else..

What is your current water change schedule too?

thank you for your input, i am dosing the A&B to keep things up ready for more coral added shortly, its actually seemed to help a bit since i have started dosing...

Water change is 10-15 gallons every 3 weeks

Fluconazole (the Algae Buster product) has been known to work on some algae. I'd give it a shot. A bit of GFO might help outcompete the algae, but that only works in some cases. It's easy to try, though.

I like how he didn't even respond to my post, as if I'm someone scamming him lol. Mcgyvr brought up some great points. Also, want to be doing weekly 5% WC's weekly in lieu of every 3 weeks.

I like how he didn't even respond to my post, as if I'm someone scamming him lol. Mcgyvr brought up some great points. Also, want to be doing weekly 5% WC's weekly in lieu of every 3 weeks.

I have been checking into the product you posted and there seems to be a lot of positive reviews so far, and I was pretty much set on actually purchasing a bottle... I did not respond because I didn't want to quote your whole response, and take up a lot of space on the thread

Back