Alk

nitr8

So I went quite a while without testing my parameters. On 6/7 my alk was 12dkh which is a little higher than I like so I increased the pH in my CA reactor to slow down melt rate of the media. I do things a little different instead of the old count the bubble and effluent drip rate but thats another subject. I tested on 8/16 and my Alk was 5dkh which sent me into a reactive state to correct the issue. I immediately decreased the pH in the reactor and dosed an alk supplement with the intentions to bring is up to around 9 over the course of a week or two along with a 20% PWC. I tested again on 8/21 and found my Alk had dropped again to 4.8dkh. I ran a few tests on other systems to check my test kit and it turned out to be okay and the reagent was within the expiration date. Again i decreased the pH in the reactor and doubled the dosage along with another 20% PWC. After I was done with that I started inspecting my CA reactor further and found the needle valve on the regulator was completely closed, not letting any CO2 into the reactor. I opened the valve and allowed the reacotr to go back into normal operation. I checled my Alk today and its 12. :eek2: I went from 4.8 to 12dkh in 24 hours. So far there have been no ill affects but I expect to see some RTN over the next couple days. I have increased the reactor pH back to what it was in the beginning and now pray that I dont crash my tank.

What's the pH of tank? It seems easier to set the pH of reactor to 6.25 ish and then control the effluent to a number to keep consistent. The high alk numbers (for me) would be a concern, but I have never been able to drive alk that low. How did you lower the pH in reactor if the co2 was essentially off? I'm not questioning what happened, I am just wondering how it is happening (lower pH with no Co2).

On my 300, I have settled in on 6.25 reactor pH, 100 mL per min effluent in a GEO624. My Alk settled in at about 8.5 and ca about 460. One thing to note is I do not do water changes, so that also has an effect on these levels.

I don't think you'll crash, but you might notice some ****ed off residents if it actually changed from 4.8 to 12. Did Ca swing much (and Mag)?

Sorry for what you are going through. I hope it was a testing error. If those were true readings I hope you are the first person ever to survive such a move. Good luck.

What's the pH of tank? pH of the tank stays around 8.0. It seems easier to set the pH of reactor to 6.25 ish and then control the effluent to a number to keep consistent. My CA reactor is setup with the effluent and needle valve wide open. I control the rate the media dissolves by controlling the pH level within the reactor. This is much easier on your feed pump since there's less resistance and a drip rate effluent tends to get sediment build up and slow or even stop the drip rate. The high alk numbers (for me) would be a concern, but I have never been able to drive alk that low. How did you lower the pH in reactor if the co2 was essentially off? I was not able to lower the pH in the reactor, which was my problem and why my ALK dropped so low. I'm not questioning what happened, I am just wondering how it is happening (lower pH with no Co2). Maybe I miss typed but I didnt mean I was having low pH.

On my 300, I have settled in on 6.25 reactor pH, 100 mL per min effluent in a GEO624. My Alk settled in at about 8.5 and ca about 460. One thing to note is I do not do water changes, so that also has an effect on these levels. Keep an eye on your effluent tube. When I had mine set up this way it clogged, often.

I don't think you'll crash, but you might notice some ****ed off residents if it actually changed from 4.8 to 12. Did Ca swing much (and Mag)?
CA and MAG were both a little low but acceptable.

Man i hope you have no issues

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Thanks. So far so good.

Sorry for what you are going through. I hope it was a testing error. If those were true readings I hope you are the first person ever to survive such a move. Good luck.

Fingers crossed. I double and triple checked the test results both when they were low and high. I'm fairly certain the test results are accurate.

Holding steady at 12. I'm going to do another 20% PWC. The fresh salt mix tests at 8 so that should help to bring it down a little but the CA reactor adjustment seems to be balanced. A few more days of testing will confirm.

Preview
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitr8 View Post

"My CA reactor is setup with the effluent and needle valve wide open. I control the rate the media dissolves by controlling the pH level within the reactor. This is much easier on your feed pump since there's less resistance and a drip rate effluent tends to get sediment build up and slow or even stop the drip rate."
"Keep an eye on your effluent tube. When I had mine set up this way it clogged, often."

I use a ColeParmer Peristaltic pump for my effluent and pull from the reactor so clogging is not an issue. That is a much easier way to get a consistent effluent rate with no clogging. Granted, much more expensive, but it is pretty much set and forget. Pushing through a CaRx with a low volume pump through a needle valve will always clog and need constant fiddling.

Preview
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitr8 View Post

"My CA reactor is setup with the effluent and needle valve wide open. I control the rate the media dissolves by controlling the pH level within the reactor. This is much easier on your feed pump since there's less resistance and a drip rate effluent tends to get sediment build up and slow or even stop the drip rate."
"Keep an eye on your effluent tube. When I had mine set up this way it clogged, often."

I use a ColeParmer Peristaltic pump for my effluent and pull from the reactor so clogging is not an issue. That is a much easier way to get a consistent effluent rate with no clogging. Granted, much more expensive, but it is pretty much set and forget. Pushing through a CaRx with a low volume pump through a needle valve will always clog and need constant fiddling.

I think the regulator was clogged not the effluent valve. That's how I read it anyways. I think he tried to lower the ph in the cal reactor but he didn't realize it wasn't working because the regulator was clogged. He said he dosed 2 part also to raise all back up a bit.

Any negative effects in the corals yet? Light colors or anything? 2 or 3 more days and I would think you are good.
How is polyp extension?

I think the regulator was clogged not the effluent valve. That's how I read it anyways. I think he tried to lower the ph in the cal reactor but he didn't realize it wasn't working because the regulator was clogged. He said he dosed 2 part also to raise all back up a bit.

The regulator wasn't "clogged, it was closed.

Any negative effects in the corals yet? Light colors or anything? 2 or 3 more days and I would think you are good.
How is polyp extension?

Was going to ask the same.

So far so good. The tank isn't showing and negative affects. Color and PE are same as always. I just cleaned the glass so when the water column clears I'll check ALK again and post a FTS.

Alk climbed a little so I increased the pH in the reactor slightly to tune it in. One coral looks off a little and thats my Smurfette Milli. Everything looks to be fine, so far.

Everything is still doing good but ALK is still climbing.....

6/7: 12dkh, increased reactor pH
8/16: 5dkh, decreased reactor pH, dosed 150mL ALK supplement
8/21: 4.8dkh, decreased reactor pH, dosed 300mL ALK supplement
---Found needle valve closed---
8/22: 12dkh, increased reactor pH
8/23: 12.6 dkh, increased reactor pH
8/24: 13.2 dkh, increased reactor pH
8/26: 13.2 dkh
8/30: 14.4 dKh, increased reactor pH

Just curious, what is the effluent rate dumping at? And what is Alk of effluent? Tank seems to be liking it :) anyway.

I am with Mike. I would slow the effluent by a lot. Corals have likely stopped growing for the most part. When things get back to normal you can adjust the effluent back up and ph down. I would be getting really worried about burnt tips. If nothing else just turn the co2 tank completely off for a week and check the tank again. This way you can leave flow through the reactor.

6/7: 12dkh, increased reactor pH
8/16: 5dkh, decreased reactor pH, dosed 150mL ALK supplement
8/21: 4.8dkh, decreased reactor pH, dosed 300mL ALK supplement
---Found needle valve closed---
8/22: 12dkh, increased reactor pH
8/23: 12.6 dkh, increased reactor pH
8/24: 13.2 dkh, increased reactor pH
8/26: 13.2 dkh
8/30: 14.4 dKh, increased reactor pH

Starting to go back down. Today's reading was 13.8

Just curious how old is the ph probe in reactor and when was the last time it was calibrated. I also use that method for my calcium reactor. The ph probe accuracy is very important for that method of tuning. You should calibrate probe every 4-6 weeks. Just a thought.

Good luck

Roger

Back