Alkaline Buffers Up or Down?

FWIW, I have shared your frustrations with determining water parameters using many hobby grade kits. I have been using the Salifert Test kits (except the pH kit) for a long time and am quite happy with the results. I also like buying my kits from www.bulkreefsupply.com since I have always received fresh kits from them that have not set on shelves too long. The Salifert Test kit recalls (or problems) have not seemed to be any worse then other upper grade kits in this price range. ;)

Another analogy: when I grab one of my wife's cheap screw drivers she proudly purchases at the grocery store for quite a reduced price and the blade of the screwdriver twists off the first time I try to use it. :lol:

Last edited:
FWIW, I have shared your frustrations with determining water parameters using many hobby grade kits. I have been using the Salifert Test kits (except the pH kit) for a long time and am quite happy with the results. I also like buying my kits from www.bulkreefsupply.com since I have always received fresh kits from them that have not set on shelves too long. The Salifert Test kit recalls (or problems) have not seemed to be any worse then other upper grade kits in this price range. ;)

Another analogy: when I grab one of my wife's cheap screw drivers she proudly purchases at the grocery store for quite a reduced price and the blade of the screwdriver twists off the first time I try to use it. :lol:

What do you use to test pH?

I have used two pH meters:

The Milwaukee SMS-122 pH Meter/Controller & the American Marine Pinpoint pH Monitor.

I like the Pinpoint the best since its accuracy is 0.01 as opposed to the SMS-122 which is 0.1 & these two meters represent the price range I have chosen not to exceed.

Both of these meters are dual calibrating which is a must IMHO and Milwaukee does now sell relatively inexpensive meters which do provide 0.01 accuracy with dual calibration features. Both the Pinpoint and the Milwaukee meters use probes that are interchangeable with many probes and one can invest in more expensive probes to attach to these meters. ;)

Last edited:
Back