Along came a spider...

Recty

A little spider stopped to take a nap on our screen door tonight so I got some pictures. This little guy is about 0.5" to 0.65" across, judging from the screen mesh.

I used the flash on the last one just to see, it was interesting... it actually flashed twice, once at the beginning and once at the end.

spider002.jpg

spider001.jpg

spider003.jpg

I tried to get a good close up of the eyes but it was hard, I need to get a ring flash or else have a spotlight shining on him, it was too dark for this type of work.

spider005.jpg

Cool subject. Neat find. Boy the flash sure made things look different. I'm guessing dialing back the power might yield a less bleached / hilighted effect on the hair. The last pic is my fav.

I could see where a macro lens mounted ring flash could be useful in this instance. Or maybe the opposite approach of a couple umbrellas strategically positioned to more softly fill everything.

Yeah, the flash really made a difference, you can see all the individual hairs really being highlighted.

This was taken late at night with basically no lighting except a couple compact florescent bulbs about 20 feet away, I just went into aperture mode and let the camera decide the rest, it kept the shutter open for between 20-30 seconds, depending on the picture.

I think the way to do it next time would be to bring a light over and angle it towards the spider.

I was pretty amazed it kept as still as it did for 30 seconds at a time. As soon as I would back away, it would start walking again, but when I got close it just froze up.

Back