America bombs Great Barrier Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: Whether they should have been there is irrelevant. I do agree they shouldn't have, but more because it is a waste to do military exercises with "allies" who will cry and complain that the US military shouldn't have been there the moment some bad PR arises but are perfectly happy to have its help when things are going well. But isolationism vs imperialism vs globalism is irrelevant here.

When did Australia last start a war?
When did America last start a war?
When did Australia last invade a country first?
When did America last invade a country first?

Quote: Whether they should have been there is irrelevant. I do agree they shouldn't have, but more because it is a waste to do military exercises with "allies" who will cry and complain that the US military shouldn't have been there the moment some bad PR arises but are perfectly happy to have its help when things are going well. But isolationism vs imperialism vs globalism is irrelevant here.

When and who was the first to dropped an atomic bomb on a country?

Absolutely not didn't missed that for 1 second, the better preventative measure would be they shouldn't had been there. Play Gi Joe some elsewhere it's that simple, then they wouldn't of had a bad rap from the media and some of the public. Even you agree they shouldn't had been there.

I don't agree with anything you've said so far but i'm not wanting to debate that. I'll keep reading the thread and so far it's been interesting but this is where you lost me.

Other countries come to us for military training. They have to ask/pay for it, most of the time, before we agree to train them. Australia has had this training on the records for months. We train with them almost yearly so this isn't the first time we've been over there. Been doing it for years.

I don't agree with anything you've said so far but i'm not wanting to debate that. I'll keep reading the thread and so far it's been interesting but this is where you lost me.

Other countries come to us for military training. They have to ask/pay for it, most of the time, before we agree to train them. Australia has had this training on the records for months. We train with them almost yearly so this isn't the first time we've been over there. Been doing it for years.

^ Exactly. And a lot of the article comments miss this. People seem to think the US military just shows up and starts playing without permission or coordination with the local government/military.

I love stuff like this....

Headline: America Bombs Great Barrier Reef!!!!

Article: America safely drops concrete filled Aluminum dummy bombs 19 miles from the closes reef so that two pilots don't die.

Bring on the bashing of the United States. Like I didn't see that coming.

I love stuff like this....

Headline: America Bombs Great Barrier Reef!!!!

Article: America safely drops concrete filled Aluminum dummy bombs 19 miles from the closes reef so that two pilots don't die.

Bring on the bashing of the United States. Like I didn't see that coming.

Hey it's just as much our fault. Our minister for foreign relations was asleep at that summit where your guy asked for volunteers to let the US drop pretend bombs (how boring) on endangered world heritage sites and the New Zealand minister stuck our guys arm in the air............... If it's anyone's fault i say we blame the Kiwi's.........:beer:

Really? you're using the past as an analogy for " what if"? I gave you more credit than that. Obviously we cannot make a difference to the past. Sure no one got hurt in reef incident great!! It would be pretty arrogant just to dismiss this as like nothing; it was fortunate.

"Like Quebec, I'm not sure if they agreed that the engineer didn't set enough hand brakes or not, but you can never get away with out human error. The policy already in place should have prevented the incident."

Is an good example, like you said "The policy already in place should have prevented the incident.", but they also have made changes and implement new ones and enforce old ones.
What? does it take for someone to die first or big destruction before we decide to make changes? By that time isn't it kinda late...

Preventive measures is always wise. Just like our hobby do we just deal with ich when a fish die and or get ich or do we QT all fish before it goes into the DT which is wiser.

I can't remember what point I was trying to make with the history what if's now.

It always takes death and or destruction before changes are made. If trains never derailed they wouldn't need to make any changes. If oil pipe lines never leaked they would never need to have precautions in place.

I don't QT my fish. I keep a healthy tank, new additions will sometimes see signs of ich. But I haven't lost a fish to it yet. That is one of the topics like the break in on a new car, baby it or drive it like you stole it.

Once you get too far into the making precautions you end up like Shell. Takes 3 hours of paper work to do 5 hours of work. And needs 3 times the people to do the job than it should take. And then people complain about the price of things. Every precaution effects price at the end of the day.

I am always amazed at the inability of people to understand what they read.

"Based on where the ordnance have been dropped in a location that is in water around 164ft (50m) deep, about 19 miles (30km) from the nearest reef and 31 miles (50km) from the shoreline, the immediate impact on the marine environment is thought to be negligible," the statement said.

What part of 19 miles from the nearest reef is hard to grasp?

I am always amazed at the inability of people to understand what they read.

"Based on where the ordnance have been dropped in a location that is in water around 164ft (50m) deep, about 19 miles (30km) from the nearest reef and 31 miles (50km) from the shoreline, the immediate impact on the marine environment is thought to be negligible," the statement said.

What part of 19 miles from the nearest reef is hard to grasp?

See there you go... Reading and comprehending. You'll go nowhere doing that. Read snippets and then go wild like others here have. Lol

Ok you're still trying to justify it. With other possibilities that could be worst, why not just bring in Nuclear explosion while you're at it for example.. And do you really think one of those bombs would only do a couple of meter damage?? Get real!

yeah what if? http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080415101021.htm

give it time. from wikipedia "Australia's changing security environment will lead to new demands being placed on the Australian Defence Force. Although it is not expected that Australia will face any threat of direct attack, terrorist groups and tensions between nations in East Asia pose threats to Australian security. The unstable governments in many South Pacific countries may lead to some of these countries becoming failed states in the future. States such as Fiji may require Australian military-led interventions to restore civil government."

and this is why we are doing joint force drills. America projects power in the region which helps maintain stability. we do joint exercises as part of our alliance to keep both of our nations militaries in tip top shape.

the real question is if the head line read "two dummy practice bombs dropped into empty ocean a few miles from GBR" would you still be on a 3 page rant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back