Anemone and Sunlight

Cymonous

My Clown Attacks Me
So, I saw the fragging video recently for anemones from BRS. I have just about all of the equipment for a separate system to house anemones to sell to local reefers and LFS. The only component I am missing right now is lighting. I don't have the money right now to buy any new lights. So, I had the idea of setting up the tank next to a window that would get direct sunlight. Would this be enough lighting for an anemone? Also, the first anemone I would try is a RBTA.

The problem with direct sun light is the heat associated with it. If you are able to keep temp stable and enough light then it would be fine. You often only get natural sunlight several hrs only, 3 or less, and this is unlikely to be enough

Yes heat from direct sunlight is a big factor, keeping the temperature stable is tough. When I was treating my H. Mag in my HT I used direct sunlight for half the day + my 4 bulb t5 unit and I had to play with my setup forever to not cause temp swings. As much as I liked the extra light on my next mag I will probably not bother as it was a lot of trouble to keep the temp stable.

I live in Ohio. There's no way. I wish though on an outdoor setup. Thanks guys

Actually one of the best coral farms I have ever seen is outside of Columbus, OH they have 5 or 6 1200 gal tanks all maricultured coral slam packed full in a greenhouse using nothing but natural light.

Actually one of the best coral farms I have ever seen is outside of Columbus, OH they have 5 or 6 1200 gal tanks all maricultured coral slam packed full in a greenhouse using nothing but natural light.

Really? I grew up just north of Columbus (Mt. Gilead) I might have to check this place out next time I fly east to visit family.

As long as you can keep the temp stable both heat in the winter and cool in the summer and have enough sunlight hrs there should be nothing better. It is great tin the green house. You can heat it and cool it without break your bank like if you keep it out door

There 900g display has some of the largest rarest and longest lived corals and clams I've seen in captivity. Like brains the size of basketballs and chalices the size of dinner plates.

Got this a week ago from that coral farm in Ohio raised in the greenhouse, Crappy camera phone so believe me the color is WAY better in person.
e3ybage6.jpg
vy8yqaza.jpg

Last time i was at that coral farm (6 years ago) they used halides to suppliment, have they stopped?

Back