Anemone got sucked into Powerhead

Just got up this morning sat down with a cup of tea looked at the tanks nothing moving, got up for a closer look everything dead £420 worth of fish. I just couldn't work out why? Looked at the power head and my magnificent anemone had been sucked in and shredded in the night devastated isn't the word. I feel soul destroyed after all the hard work I've put in.

Been there. That is why I'm going to be plumbing in a closed loop system for a species tank for my S. gigantea and my A. percula clowns. My wife can have the pretty fish upstairs and my anemone will be downstairs.

My BTA got shredded by a powerhead as well - right the night I left my skimmer off. That morning the water was clowdy but otherwise I got lucky and nothing (besides the BTA) died.
After that I removed my crispa because it started moving into the direction of the powerheads as well and was in need of treatment anyway.

Puree BTA usually do not cause fish death. Other anemones, like Magnifica, will wipe out our tank except clown fish if it get puree. There are plenty of thread on Magnifica wipe out a tank.
Other anemones like Gigantea or Haddoni likely will wipe out your tank too. FWIW, none of this happen to me yet so no first hand experience here.

Lost 40 plus fish this morning when one of my three Ritteri got sucyinti my Tunze:(

Wondering if sps will die too???

Lost some 15 year old fish

That is terrible to hear. Sorry for your loss. I would do a water change and start running carbon if your not already.

Running 8 pounds of carbon in sump and my wife will mix 200 gallons of saltwater while I’m at work today. I got 26 fish out still have another 15 or so small ones to find tonight. My four clowns lived. I’m now worried about my SPS that I’ve spent a lot of money on:(

Running 8 pounds of carbon in sump and will do a 225 gallon water change tonight after work. Two pairs of clowns are alive

I had an RBTA get shredded about 15 years ago. On a whim, I kept a chunk of the foot in the sump and it miraculously survived. Today it is still in the tank (sold the tank to a friend about 12 years ago) and at last count is now 19 nems. I got lucky and no harm was done to the tank, though the nem was in pieces EVERYWHERE!

Stories like these are why I'd be hesitant to stock BTA but I want my clowns to be happy. I picked up a leather toadstool that clowns are known to host on. Will provide updates. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences to this newbie :)

Lost 40 plus fish this morning when one of my three Ritteri got sucyinti my Tunze:(

Wondering if sps will die too???

Lost some 15 year old fish
Sorry to hear this.
From other people experienced, the sting will not kill corals, but the quality of the water can if you are not able to locate and remove the dead fish. Good luck. Hope you will be able to avert tank crash.

Sorry to hear this.
From other people experienced, the sting will not kill corals, but the quality of the water can if you are not able to locate and remove the dead fish. Good luck. Hope you will be able to avert tank crash.

Thanks, my SPS, clam and other invertebrates are just fine. I did a 50 percent water change that evening after work. I'm going to sell my other two Ritteri, too heart breaking losing some of my 15+ year fish.

I'm going to sell my other two Ritteri, too heart breaking losing some of my 15+ year fish.

Sorry to hear. An experience such as yours would be discouraging to continue in the hobby...much props to you for dealing with the disaster.

My newly acquired Ritteri walked into a powerhead last Saturday. Luckily it happened in QT after the first dose of Cipro. The anemone is doing ok and is recovering nicely. However, based on this experience, in addition to yours, I decided that I'll move my coral colonies to another tank. The Ritteri will be in a tank with H. Malu and a couple of frags.
I've heard and have personally witnessed the destruction a Ritteri death can cause in a reef tank. It's horrible.
Best of luck to you with your reef tank recovery.

yYBASOR.jpg

I've only observed movement with anemones when the nitrates start to creep up above the undetectable level. Nitrates are not particularly toxic to anemones, unless quite high, but they do seem "irritated" by them even when in low concentration.

Back