anemone not sticking to any rocks or glass

prasunchoudhari

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank = 150 gallons
How long has the tank been running = 8 years
Does it have a filter = yes (cannister filter. no place to accommodate a sump filter)
Does it have a heater = no
What is the water temperature = 26 degree Celsius
What is the entire stocking of this tank =
1 x chromies
1 x mono angel (was added about 2 weeks back)
2 x juvenile black mollies (ones which were bred in the same marine tank. they were 5 fries but only 2 could survive. also the pair that gave birth to them is no more)
1 x sebae anemone (added it 2 days back)
1 x nerite snail
1 x nassarius snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water = weekly, top ups as and when required
How much of the water do you change= 20%
What do you use to treat your water = I use RO, DI water from my aqua guard (same water used for drinking) so i don't treat the water as such
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water= substrate is vacuumed every 2 months. Other times only 20% water change

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish = obviously yes as the tank is running for the past 8 years
What do you use to test the water = API marine master test kit
What are your parameters?
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish = once every night
How much do you feed your fish = one pallet at a time (once the fish eats that pellet, i feed it another one) until the fishes stop eating
What brand of food do you feed your fish = tropical soft line marine sinking granules. Occasionally i feed them with freshly hatched Baby brine shrimps
Do you feed frozen = no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods = no

My tank is fully cycled and has been running for 8 years now. Lately I decided to buy an anemone for the tank at its 8th anniversary.
I have bought a Sebae anemone from a local store that usually deals in good quality marine livestock, but the anemone hasn't settled for 2 days now. This is my first anemone and I am really concerned about it. Since the anemone hasn't settled for 2 days now, I have switched off my canister filter as well as wave maker so that there is very less flow in the tank which I thought was making it difficult for the anemone to settle in some place. but still no success.

thank you in advanced

Sebaes are not an easy anemone to start with, they prefer to bury their foot in the rocks and need excellent lighting. What kind of light are you running? Alk, calc, dKH, magnesium levels? Salinity level?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank = 150 gallons
How long has the tank been running = 8 years
Does it have a filter = yes (cannister filter. no place to accommodate a sump filter)
Does it have a heater = no
What is the water temperature = 26 degree Celsius
What is the entire stocking of this tank =
1 x chromies
1 x mono angel (was added about 2 weeks back)
2 x juvenile black mollies (ones which were bred in the same marine tank. they were 5 fries but only 2 could survive. also the pair that gave birth to them is no more)
1 x sebae anemone (added it 2 days back)
1 x nerite snail
1 x nassarius snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water = weekly, top ups as and when required
How much of the water do you change= 20%
What do you use to treat your water = I use RO, DI water from my aqua guard (same water used for drinking) so i don't treat the water as such
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water= substrate is vacuumed every 2 months. Other times only 20% water change

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish = obviously yes as the tank is running for the past 8 years
What do you use to test the water = API marine master test kit
What are your parameters?
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish = once every night
How much do you feed your fish = one pallet at a time (once the fish eats that pellet, i feed it another one) until the fishes stop eating
What brand of food do you feed your fish = tropical soft line marine sinking granules. Occasionally i feed them with freshly hatched Baby brine shrimps
Do you feed frozen = no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods = no

My tank is fully cycled and has been running for 8 years now. Lately I decided to buy an anemone for the tank at its 8th anniversary.
I have bought a Sebae anemone from a local store that usually deals in good quality marine livestock, but the anemone hasn't settled for 2 days now. This is my first anemone and I am really concerned about it. Since the anemone hasn't settled for 2 days now, I have switched off my canister filter as well as wave maker so that there is very less flow in the tank which I thought was making it difficult for the anemone to settle in some place. but still no success.

thank you in advanced

A few things to consider.

1. Anemone's move around until happy. Turning of your flow is not necessary unless its literally blowing it around the tank. Because once you turn the flow back on the spot it found may no longer suit the anemone.

2. Lighting is incredibly important for anemone's. Ensure you have enough light to support the anemone and also that your not "cooking" the tank with to much light.

3. Health. If the anemone hasn't lost color, is not spewing stuff from its mouth, and the mouth is not constantly agape, then its just acclimating to your tank. The above 3 signs are something EVERY anemone will display in distress (yes there are other signs as well).

4. Water quality. What I posted below is not my own writing but represents my thoughts. That being said I believe you need to raise your PH slightly. There are multiple options but the most natural is through a refugium or macro algae reactor. Its my natural disposition that most folks aren't going to want to run an airline from outside to their skimmer for fresh air as this would help as well without the need to start dosing.

"Generally speaking, they need the same type of water conditions as SPS corals require. Anemones need: high levels of dissolved O2, a salinity at 1.024 to 1.026, a stable pH between 8.1 and 8.3, temp between 76 and 78 F, calcium between 400 and 450, dKH at 8.0 to 12.0, magnesium between 1,250 and 1,350 ppm, nitrate at 2 ppm or less (closer to 0 ppm is best), stable phosphate at 0.002 ppm or less (0 is best), and finally 0 ppm of ammonia and nitrite. Just as with most all aquatic life, stable parameters and parameters at or near the desired levels is the key to a healthy and happy tank with healthy and happy anemones.

One important thing to keep in mind is that it is best to maintain proper and balanced levels of Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium in order to have a proper and stable pH. This will help to maintain levels close to that of natural sea water. Your nitrates should be less than 2ppm (closer to 0 is best), and phosphates less than 0.002 ppm."

Back