Anemones

wizard2

Hi
Looking for best Anemone to go with 2 Wyoming White Clowns New to this so something not to difficult this is my first. Best place to buy Also what sets the price of these and other corals? I have seen same types and size going for very different prices not just a few dollars diffetreence. So thetre must be something that makes one higher then the other.

Thanks Mike

A Bubble Tip Anemone (BTA) is the easiest of the clown host anemones to keep.

Best place to buy, IMO, is a LFS where you can observe it in person, ask how long it’s been there and see it eat.

Price differences? Not sure why but, based on a long time in this hobby, I never buy from the lowest price place unless they have a stellar reputation in the hobby.

What kind of tank do you have? Size , circulation (return pump, power heads), light, sand bed? What animals have you been able to keep and how long? Doing well? What have not? Do you know why?
How long have you keep reef tanks?
All these are important for me to give recommendation as to which anemone you should try.

40 Breeder return pump in sump power head top of tank live sand and rock I have 2 Wyoming White Clowns coming Those will be only fish I have gotten so far Tanks has been up for >6 months
From research I did it looks like they can also interact with other corals also, so I also may go that route

Thanks Mike

Hi
Looking for best Anemone to go with 2 Wyoming White Clowns New to this so something not to difficult this is my first. Best place to buy Also what sets the price of these and other corals? I have seen same types and size going for very different prices not just a few dollars diffetreence. So thetre must be something that makes one higher then the other.

Thanks Mike
As far as pricing, (IMO) it’s all about looks and instant gratification for the shops. The more colorful and larger the more expensive they will charge you.

Try to find a larger, long established fish distributor over a chain store. Near me i use a Petsmart for simple parts & food supplies, but I’m lucky enough to have a large pet warehouse with a huge fish room and a LFS with marine biologists and students for live purchases. I also find places like those have more choice, exotic and healthier options.

Definitely ask how long what you are buying has been on site. If it’s a reputable shop they won’t sell anything before a quarantine and after a stress period has passed. My local shop usually writes an arrival date right on the glass so you know.

40 Breeder return pump in sump power head top of tank live sand and rock I have 2 Wyoming White Clowns coming Those will be only fish I have gotten so far Tanks has been up for >6 months
From research I did it looks like they can also interact with other corals also, so I also may go that route

Thanks Mike
Do you have a sand bed? If you do a H. malu would be perfect. A H. crispa also good. Crispa don’t require a sand bed and will get larger then a Malu.
Both are very nice anemone, easier to keep than Gigantea or Magnifica which are great anemone for Ocellaris or Percula, but really hard to keep for new reefers.

How much and type of lighting? Anemones do better with higher lights. Were are you located? I have some large green purple tip bta locally in Pa. This one's roughly 6 inches across. Had them for ten years in my tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_180628228.jpg
    IMG_20230730_180628228.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Back