anenomes acting up?

littletruong

so yea i have a rose anemone and a white condylactus in my tank.. They have been in there for a couple of months and have been doing really good, I feed them silverside's soaked with selcon and kent marine extreme garlic. They have been doing very well.. Lately my white condylactus has been acting wierd, the base is all stretched out and the white tentacles are browning up.. Is this normal?

and for my rose, it was settled in a spot for a good couple of months, and yesterday it started moving around a little bit, i was feeding it the silverside's today and it didn't eat it.. I'm worried.

To my extent everything in the tank is running fine. I have other corals in the tank that are alive and well.

any help would be appreciated. thank you

-Alex

thats odd, everything seems normal today, there is only a subtle hint of brown near the ends of the tips. I'll try feeding them today and see how that goes. The rose even looks fine again..

My suggestion is to research animals before adding them to your tank. Condy's have a photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae that lives in their tissue naturally. A bleached anemone is white and has lost this algae that it needs for food production. It can expell the algae due to poor conditions, or the algae can die if the anemone is kept in poor lighting for an extended time. A good portion of the nutritional needs of host anemones as well as condylactis anemones is derived from this colonizing algae. The relationship between the anemone and the algae is truly symbiotic, with both organisms benefitting from the presence of the other.

Back