Angelfish space and compatibility

Osric

In my new 220 Gallon tank I am considering including both a harem of three Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula) and a single Regal Angel (Pygoplites diacanthus).

Is this foolish? I know Angels don't tolerate each other well, and perhaps the Regal angel will beat up the Flame Angelfish, or the Flame Angels will harass the Regal to death. I am simply not clear on whether 220 gallons is enough room for each to stake out their own sub-territory and be satisfied with that.

If you think this combination is workable, what are people's opinions on the order of adding these creatures to the system?

Thanks!

PS: Images from animal-world.com:

FlameAngelWMA_Ap8SA.jpg

RegalAngelfishWMA_Ap8SA.jpg

I've been planning the exact same and number of angels myself, other than only the flames are 100% and was going to research more (or ask myself) once closer before deciding on the regal, so I'll be tagging along and watching for any input or experience as well.

My wife really, really, really wants a clam but has lost the argument yet again because I've never NOT had at least a flame :) I may give in down the road and plumb in a small tank just for her to have a clam, will see :)

Last edited:
With these particular angels I would go for pairs.
Flame angels are easy to pair and in a tank of that size they will likely spawn.
IME regal angels also do better in a pair and the tank size should be sufficient - I have a regal pair in a 100 gallon tank and they are doing fine.
I don't think that the regals take much notice of the flame angels. At least the 5 regals I have in my tanks never show much interested in other fish that are not regal angels.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My wife really, really, really wants a clam but has lost the argument yet again because I've never NOT had at least a flame :) I may give in down the road and plumb in a small tank just for her to have a clam, will see :)

I've gotten away with T. Crocea + Flame angel before, in my old 34 gallon system. My understanding is that the odds are about 50/50. Of course whether or not you think playing those odds is ethical is only up to you and your wife but I'd say if she's willing to take the risk ...

Back