Angelfish Tank Advice

kryzzystuff

Hi everyone,

I wanted to reach out for some advice regarding an angelfish-based FOWLR tank I am looking into setting up.
I would like to keep one of each of the following species from different genera: Chaetodontoplus duboulayi, Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus, Pygoplites diacanthus, Holacanthus ciliaris, Pomacanthus navarchus, Centropyge loricula, Genicanthus bellus.

Do you think I could swing this in a 300g? These would be the only fish aside from maybe some chromis/anthias/etc. If so, in what order would you stock them? Do you recommend starting with juveniles or adult fish? A mix of both?

Many thanks!

Depending on size of these angels, I would go with introducing them from least aggressive to most aggressive. I think you won't have any problems adding the flame angel anytime. Then I would start with the Majestic, Regal and Bellus. Then the Goldflake and Scribbled. Lastly the Queen. I would make sure the Queen is smaller than all of them and add it last. It will most likely be the boss of the tank. I currently have a Goldflake and Majestic together along with some other pygmy angels (Golden and Multibar). They all get along great. I plan on adding a Scribbled Angel next.

I would do the Regal first, peaceful angel and needs to be established.

Then majestic and bellus.

Scribbled and goldflake.

And finally the Queen.

I would personally get everything juvenile except the Regal.

I would say that are too many large angles for a 300 gallon tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would say that are too many large angles for a 300 gallon tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well...ok...so what would you suggest then? Which one(s) would you omit and why? Are you concerned about aggression/territory disputes? Because other than potentially the queen these fish should not get too big for this tank.

I have a dozen of xl angel in my 400 gallon. They are queen, blue, French, gray, chrysurus, blue face...first the most important is that you need lots of caves; make sure to secure live rocks. I had bitter experience with losing 12" emperor in rocks collapse overnight. My queen is 12" and blue angel is 9". Thanks to all caves, they don't have any issue at all. Feeding pellet and nori would help reducing aggression. In the begining I fed frozen mysis for awhile. They got aggressive each other and I always had problems with minor ich problem as well. Now I only feed all of my angels Hikari Marin A and OSI. Spurunila flakes every day.

I would not risk putting weak angels (especially Pomacanqhus navarchus and Pygoplites diacanthus) in with aggressive ones even in a 300g. From your list, I would remove Holacanthus ciliaris and the rest should be ok together.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to proceed with caution and skip out on the queen angel, as I like all the other ones too much and don't want to take any chances. I may substitute it with a tang, we'll see.

Best of luck, happy reefing,

Kryzzy

Back