Mixing large angelfish

m0nkie

Hey guys. Want to see what everyone's experience is with mixing large angelfish.

long story short. my favorite Moorish idol started eating LPS and SPS. and he's got a crew of tangs going for the left overs. I had to remove everything except the Gorgonians and anemones.
Good thing is my 150g is ready and took over the corals.

so now I'm going to add some large angels to make the tank more poping.

I'm considering the following, from most fav to least:
Emperor (Pomacanthus imperator)
Bandit (Apolemichthys arcuatus)
Blue Girdled (Pomacanthus navarchus)
Blue Line (Chaetodontoplus Sepentrionalis)
Watanabei (Genicanthus watanabei) (pair)
Queen (Holacanthus ciliaris)

Angels I have:
Goldflake ~4" (Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus)
Regal ~3-4" (Pygoplites diacanthus)

any chance of getting them all? in what order?

other fish I have:
-Xhatch Trigger pair
-Harlequin Tusk
-Tangs (Gem, Black, Yellow, Blue, Cole, Naso, Sailfin)
-Flame Angel
-Porcupine Puffer
-Moorish Idol
-Foxfish
-tons of anthias, cardinals, clowns, wrasse

Last edited:
tank looks empty with the small fish
Szpp5r7.jpg

9ygJAjp.jpg

LxSYlGJ.jpg

65Tgn92.jpg

BIG8rTL.jpg

I’ve seen a few of those large angels pick on Anemone oral discs on several occasions. I wouldn’t have paid that much attention to it if the anemones were pooping because I would’ve thought the angels were just trying to get some “food”. However, the anemones weren’t and the angels were just trying to get some zoox I suppose.
If you’re gonna do it, just pay close attention your nems don’t get picked on.

Dude. You’re going fish only. I’ll come pick those nems up and hold them till you get a nem tank setup. What time you gonna be home :lol:

This is awesome! Makes me want to get the same thing.:eek1: But last carpet is still haunting me with so many fish gonzo as expensive food. :lmao:

2nlW5WE.jpg

I've seen a few of those large angels pick on Anemone oral discs on several occasions. I wouldn't have paid that much attention to it if the anemones were pooping because I would've thought the angels were just trying to get some "œfood". However, the anemones weren't and the angels were just trying to get some zoox I suppose.
If you're gonna do it, just pay close attention your nems don't get picked on.

man can't catch a break in this hobby.. haha. I'll definitely keep an eye out on them. No way I'm losing my nem collection to Angels

This is awesome! Makes me want to get the same thing.:eek1: But last carpet is still haunting me with so many fish gonzo as expensive food. :lmao:

lol. I haven't lost too many. I'm really focused on keeping the tank aggression down so no one get spooked. Night light helps too so fish can see at night.

I have 4 carpets in the big tank now. 0 casualties in there so far

My green gigantea! So happy that it's looking so happy in your tank! :D

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

yessss and it's nearly 2ft large fully expanded. The gig sits right next to my only powerhead so it gets blasted by mysis twice a day

O2manyfish keeps many angels in his outdoor frag tank and his 400+ inside and I've not seen any issues but he feeds heavy. You might want to get a fish feeder.

It might be better to get the same size and add at same time since no fish has a chance to claim territory risking added aggression. Just my $0.02

I wonder how all those tangs will react

the carpet is jaw dropping. sorry your morish is eating lps the good thing is you are keeping him alive.
as far as the angel fish mix i think you will be fine with all of them it just depends on the size. i would get the emperator as a juv as it is neat to watch the transformation.

Back