Angle fish????

jden092901

Im cycling my 120 right now and looking into fish that I like. I know most angles are NOT reef safe. However, has anyone keep them with there reef (SPS, LPS, Zoas, acans, and so on). I really like the blue face angle, regal, emperor...is there a reef safe angle?

Thank you,

Joshua

I've heard numerous reports that right angles are reef safe. However the Acute angles may or may not go after your corals. Obtuse angles should not be put in any aquarium, no matter the size.

On a serious note. (BTW- I beat you Chris :D)

I would not trust any of those angels listed. The only angelfish that won't nip is the angels found in the Genicanthus genus. Lamarck's, Swallowtail, Zebra, Wantanabei or all good choices. I would pick a pair of a single species.

Ok, assuming you meant angel I can tell you about Regals. Mine ate all my zoas and xenia. Leaves clams, LPS like Hammer, Frogspawn alone. But they are all different. Your mileage may vary. These fish are very shy when first introduced so they won't mix well in an aggressive tank and sometimes can be difficult to get to eat. Other than that beautiful fish!

Ken

i say all angels are a hit or miss i;ve seen many angels in a reef even ones people say are not reef safe at all. You gotta ask yourself if you like the fish more or the corals and is it worth the risk. My LFS has a emperor in a lps holding tank and it doesn't bother nothing at all he is kept well fed at all times. he's even got brain corals in there.

It's a roll of the dice. You have to assume that they will nip and then way up whether you want to take the risk. Do you feel lucky?
However, Genicanthus are, on the whole, reef safe.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14909809#post14909809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AuroraDrvr
I've heard numerous reports that right angles are reef safe. However the Acute angles may or may not go after your corals. Obtuse angles should not be put in any aquarium, no matter the size.

Hilarious :lol:

My Regal doesn't pick on anything I have, my Blueface on the other hand ate all my zoas. I like my Blueface better than I liked the zoanthids however, so I win. It doesn't bother my softies (I wish it would eat these damned frilly mushrooms), LPS like frogspawn or hammer, or SPS. I would love to get a clam but I'm afraid it would be an expensive snack.

Back