Annual Frag Raffle - Save the Date! Sunday, November 22nd

thefuz

Greetings all!

Hope Fall is treating you well so far and your tanks aren't suffering too badly from the distraction of the great weather we've been having. Hey, wait a minute... this line seems familiar - oh, that's because it's identical to last year. Another bangin' start to the Fall festivities.

Enough of the pleasantries... let's talk FRAGS!! The time has come once again for our annual Frag Raffle. Mason has offered up his abode to host this auspicious event (thanks, Mason!). Details:

When: Sunday, November 22nd
Time: Noon-3PM
Where: Mason's house in Stratford, CT

We may be putting together some DIY food. Reply in this thread if you're interested in that and/or if you've got a hot topic to present to the group.

A few of us will be working on frags and you know there's always some great surprises. PM me if you've got something special to donate. Look forward to catching up soon!!

We picked out some great frags from The Coral Reef, LLC in Stratford for the raffle. Pics to follow.

Sorry about the crappy iPhone pics. The blue light is really hard to deal with.

Anyways stop by the store and check on them whenever you are free.

I also have a few frags as well that I'm putting into the frag raffle. I look forward to the meeting, it's going to be a good time.

Did anyone come up with any ideas as far as fish food recipes or any other topics you're interested in....?

I'm in....... can someone help me frag some Zoa's? I have 2 nice ones I'll post some pics tomorrow, I would like to donate some but I don't know how to frag yet

Greetings all!

Hope Fall is treating you well so far and your tanks aren't suffering too badly from the distraction of the great weather we've been having. Hey, wait a minute... this line seems familiar - oh, that's because it's identical to last year. Another bangin' start to the Fall festivities.

Enough of the pleasantries... let's talk FRAGS!! The time has come once again for our annual Frag Raffle. Mason has offered up his abode to host this auspicious event (thanks, Mason!). Details:

When: Sunday, November 22nd
Time: Noon-3PM
Where: Mason's house in Stratford, CT

We may be putting together some DIY food. Reply in this thread if you're interested in that and/or if you've got a hot topic to present to the group.

A few of us will be working on frags and you know there's always some great surprises. PM me if you've got something special to donate. Look forward to catching up soon!!

I'm in....... can someone help me frag some Zoa's? I have 2 nice ones I'll post some pics tomorrow, I would like to donate some but I don't know how to frag yet let me know if anyone can help 203 623 2653

Last edited:
Sorry about the crappy iPhone pics. The blue light is really hard to deal with.

Anyways stop by the store and check on them whenever you are free.

I also have a few frags as well that I'm putting into the frag raffle. I look forward to the meeting, it's going to be a good time.

Did anyone come up with any ideas as far as fish food recipes or any other topics you're interested in....?

'm in....... can someone help me frag some Zoa's? I have 2 nice ones I'll post some pics tomorrow, I would like to donate some but I don't know how to frag yet let me know if anyone can help 203 623 2653

We picked out some great frags from The Coral Reef, LLC in Stratford for the raffle. Pics to follow.

'm in....... can someone help me frag some Zoa's? I have 2 nice ones I'll post some pics tomorrow, I would like to donate some but I don't know how to frag yet let me know if anyone can help 203 623 2653

here are my Zoa's pic aren't that good

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
Awesome looking zoa's - most kind of you to donate for the raffle!

First, if you're going to attempt this safety precautions are an absolute must. Some zoanthids can carry palytoxin which is toxic for us if it's ingested. Wearing nitrile gloves and goggles for your eyes is definitely required.

I haven't fragged zoa's in quite a long time but it's fairly straightforward. They grow kind of like a mat. They can stand being in the open air for a decent amount of time (long enough to work with them for cutting). Just have a small container of tank water handy to rinse them off after cutting.

Option 1: You can cut the rock they're on with a coral cutter, trying to get in between polyps with the cuts (zoa's respond much better this way in my experience since you're not disturbing them at the base).

Option 2: Using a scalpel while they're closed (they'll close up when you pull them out of the tank) you can cut them in between the polyps in whatever shape you like. Use the scalpel to carefully pry underneath the cut portion like a spatula. Then affix them to a new plug/rock rubble piece using coral glue.

I tried to find a good thread that shows this but there doesn't seem to be a recent comprehensive one. Perhaps there are others out there that have fragged zoa's not too far back?

I can frag them if you bring them to the meeting or whenever. I prefer to cut the rock as well. Zoas do much better with this technique

So I guess the DIY fish food is the topic for the meeting. I have a designated fish food blender.

Does anyone have a specific recipe that they prefer or have had luck with?

I like to use a white fish fillet, shrimp, oysters, clams, cyclopeeze, sprilina brine, fish roe, sea weed of some form, omega vitamins, vitamin c, garlic, reef chili or equivalent, reef snow.

Anyone have any suggestions??

I also like to put the food in a squeeze bottle once it's thawed out from the freezer. It's easier to handle and it will keep in the fridge for a couple days.

Great stuff, Mason! I don't have a recipe as I haven't done this in a while. Happy to defer to you on this one. I think we should get an idea of how many people will be attending first so we don't overbuy on the ingredients.

Hint-hint: Please RSVP at some point over the next few days if you plan on attending next week!

I can frag them if you bring them to the meeting or whenever. I prefer to cut the rock as well. Zoas do much better with this technique

i'm coming straight to the meeting from from NYC would it be possible to drop them off to you during the week to frag them? if so my # is 203 623 2653 i think i'm free every evening except friday and saturday

So I guess the DIY fish food is the topic for the meeting. I have a designated fish food blender.

Does anyone have a specific recipe that they prefer or have had luck with?

I like to use a white fish fillet, shrimp, oysters, clams, cyclopeeze, sprilina brine, fish roe, sea weed of some form, omega vitamins, vitamin c, garlic, reef chili or equivalent, reef snow.

Anyone have any suggestions??

i can contribute $20 to the food

i'm coming straight to the meeting from from NYC would it be possible to drop them off to you during the week to frag them? if so my # is 203 623 2653 i think i'm free every evening except friday and saturday

Sure no problem, I'll send you a text

Back