Another sad article on our ocean's health...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, global warming is responsible for everything. Heck, I even heard that Santa Claus might not be taking his midnight ride this year because of global warming. The extra ozone seems to be giving his reindeers too much of a buzz. Also, the LA Times makes a great bird cage liner.

20,000 years ago sea level was 394 feet lower than it is today. As recently (in geological terms) as 7,000 years ago the oceans were 66 feet lower than today. Many reefs, now fossils, have been drowned out by the raising sea. As massive as the Great Barrier Reef is, it's only 5,000 years old.

As the level of the ocean changes, old reefs die and new ones are created. So goes the cycle of the Earth. While it's sad to witness the death of a reef, we will not be without reefs in the future. New life will be born, as it has since time itself. Reefs have died and been born since the beginning of time and will continue to do so whether we are here or not.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12897633#post12897633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquaman67
20,000 years ago sea level was 394 feet lower than it is today. As recently (in geological terms) as 7,000 years ago the oceans were 66 feet lower than today. Many reefs, now fossils, have been drowned out by the raising sea. As massive as the Great Barrier Reef is, it's only 5,000 years old.

As the level of the ocean changes, old reefs die and new ones are created. So goes the cycle of the Earth. While it's sad to witness the death of a reef, we will not be without reefs in the future. New life will be born, as it has since time itself. Reefs have died and been born since the beginning of time and will continue to do so whether we are here or not.

Thank you!!

It is absurdly conceited of man to think that climate change is anthropogenic in ANY way!! It has been going on literally for eons and eons, long before man's entrance onto the geological/atmospheric scene. Mods, please shut this down before anymore left-wing ideologues get on here and parrot more of these talking-point nonsenses!

Interesting take on this. I had watched videos and special interest groups being concerned about the massive reef collecting in Vanuatu for the aquarium industry. The bottom line is that more reefs are destroyed in Vanuatu by careless natives discarding batteries into the ocean than any hyper collection ever has.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898070#post12898070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InsaneClownFish
Interesting take on this. I had watched videos and special interest groups being concerned about the massive reef collecting in Vanuatu for the aquarium industry. The bottom line is that more reefs are destroyed in Vanuatu by careless natives discarding batteries into the ocean than any hyper collection ever has.

And just imagine the impact from disposing of millions of the compact flourescent lightbulbs "the kremlin" says we have to all be using by 2014: they contain MERCURY!! And what about the batteries from the electric cars everyone wants us to use? And what will give the electricity needed to charge those cars? Coal? Nuclear Power? Oh noooooooooooo....this debate could go on forever, and it will as long as somebody can profit from it!

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12897130#post12897130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrkalel
Pretty ignorant view bro.... especially for someone in this hobby...
When you say "especially for someone in this hobby... " , do you mean that someone who has an Oceanic 144 Gal Half-Circle Display may be just as culpable for the supposed destruction of our reefs?

Last edited:
This earth and the coral were here long before we started destroying it, and will be long after we are finished or gone. We are but a small insignificate creature in this universe. In the end Earth 1, human 0.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898040#post12898040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aslavatortin
It is absurdly conceited of man to think that climate change is anthropogenic in ANY way!!
Wow. There are people who have spent their entire lives studying this. They are called scientists. They disagree with you. Have you studied it long?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898323#post12898323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
When you say "especially for someone in this hobby... " , do you mean that someone who has an Oceanic 144 Gal Half-Circle Display may be just as culpable for the supposed destruction of our reefs?

So I guess you also believe that you are also destroying our reefs?... I was expressing my feeling on an ignorant comment to a serious subject....

If you believe that we are all contributing to the demise of the reefs, why are you in the hobby?

Read Virginiadiver69's signature.

That pretty much sums it up.

It's all about self preservation.....self preservation of the activists

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898543#post12898543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tang Salad
Wow. There are people who have spent their entire lives studying this. They are called scientists. They disagree with you. Have you studied it long?
"They" don't all agree on this subject. Besides...they have been wrong before and will be again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898543#post12898543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tang Salad

Like I said, parrot talking points. Do you have ANY IDEA what you are talking about? So ridiculously many scientists disagree with the preposterous notion that man has ANYTHING to do with climate change! I'm not going to waste time looking for links to educate you, but here's a quick one: 31,000 Scientists Debunk Global Warming Myth .

How in the name of Al Gore can man be responsible for something that has been going on looooooong before man came into existence?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898650#post12898650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aslavatortin
Like I said, parrot talking points.
Where did you say that? Why? Why is it 'parroting' anymore than when you recite Rush?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12898650#post12898650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aslavatortin
Do you have ANY IDEA what you are talking about?
Yes.

So ridiculously many scientists disagree with the preposterous notion that man has ANYTHING to do with climate change!
But many, many, many more agree with it. Also, you really shouldn't modify an adjective with an adverb. (Although, I suppose it's a bit poetic to present incorrect information by using incorrect grammar.)

How in the name of Al Gore can man be responsible for something that has been going on looooooong before man came into existence?
Yes, the climate has always been changing. This does not mean that man is therefore incapable of influencing it. You are using faulty logic.

Ok, I predicted your parroting entrance into these shenannigans in my first post on this thread. I'm not parroting Bush, you lib, Bush is drinking the proverbial global warming kool-aid now, too. I never said we are incapable of INFLUENCING climate change, I said it is impossible to say we CAUSED it, as it has existed longer than we have; my logic is impeccable, I'm right, you're wrong! Environmentalism is nothing more than Marxism with better marketing.

Yep, global warming is responsible for everything. Heck, I even heard that Santa Claus might not be taking his midnight ride this year because of global warming. The extra ozone seems to be giving his reindeers too much of a buzz. Also, the LA Times makes a great bird cage liner.
Ahh, this is based on your years of study and firsthand experience in the subject? It's always refreshing to see that the public is thoroughly examining the evidence and making informed opinions. :(

These were also times when conditions were otherwise conducive to fast reef growth. If things continue on the same path they've been on, within the next 50-100 years those conditions won't exist. The last time conditions will have been similar there were no coral reefs. Hard corals completely disappeared for a few million years around that time.

Yes, reefs will likely be around. They've been around in some form or another almost since life began. Corals just haven't been the dominant reef builders and within the near future they're likely to lose that title to algae. This is not a new idea. We've been documenting it happening since the 70s. In that time period we've seen some of the best-studied reefs lose 80% of their corals and be replaced by algae. Within the last 20 years we've seen the corals that were dominant for at least the last few thousand years (as long as we have a record) declining by over 90% and being completely replaced by others and the dominant grazers being almost completely wiped out. This report is just the most recent set of observations on a trend that we've been observing for a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back