Another tang question

ostrow

It's Dr. Goodluck Himself
I have a 150gal 5x2x2 tank, with a 150 sump and 75 fuge. So lots of water. My question has nothing to do with bioload as I'm fine there.

It's more a "space" issue in the display.

I have a 2.5" hepatus (grown from 1.5" in 2 months!) and a 2.5" or so Kole tang.

I have an opportunity to acquire the most gorgeous sailfin tang I've ever seen. Had my eye on him months ago but the store owner said he wasn't selling. Then he decided to sell to someone who is getting out. I have "dibs" but need to do this responsibly.

I know every individual will be different, so even if they are on paper compatible one can't control for that. But in principle should these 3 fish be ok in this size display? My other fish are 3 chromis, 1 radiant wrasse, 1 mandarin goby, 2 perculas and 1 royal gramma. This would be my last fish addition.

Thanks!
Joel

I had a sailfin for almost 12 years, great fish. The last tank I had him in was a 180 standard (6x2x2 ft.) and I felt that he had outgrown that tank so I gave him away. Your sailfin should work in that system but could eventually outgrow it as well. So might the hepatus.

I think you have a good prospect to put them together. Technically all three surgeons you have are in different genus which is ideal for keeping tangs as they look different not just in color but in shapes as well. just don't get another zebrasoma after the sailfin tang. Though eventually your sailfin will become the king of the tank as it will grow in to an impressive foot long disk when it expands all its fins! So I agree with Kahuna Tuna that the sailfin can easily outgrow your tank. Also some of them are tame like a lamb but some of them I've encountered in my store are absolute horrors tearing up all other tankmates. So just make sure you get a good tempered one.

yeah i would agree as well, all 3 should have no problems living together being they ARE from different geunus' but i beleive he may outgrow that tank in the future...

It would work just it needs more space then you have avaiable..good that you ask first instead of buying then asking.

Yeah, as always getting contradictory answers. Sigh. I guess they would work for a few years but it could get tricky.

My sailfin spent the first seven + years in a 90 gallon and over four in my 180, so you could keep him for quite a while in your tank.

I know Kahuna. The issue is the sailfin plus the hepatus and the kole but I think I'll be ok for several years at least before there'd be space concerns. I'm gonna give it a go! Thanks all!

Back