Another wave maker thread

T Diddy

Happy to be here
I’ve been out of the aquarium business since 2014. I want to get back to where I left off, but things have changed a bit since then. I used to have a coralife power head controller that seemed to work fine, but there are so many options today.
My question is this…is it worth the money for the big name/ big dollar stuff, or just go with “disposable” items and Amazon knock offs?

I’ve been out of the aquarium business since 2014. I want to get back to where I left off, but things have changed a bit since then. I used to have a coralife power head controller that seemed to work fine, but there are so many options today.
My question is this…is it worth the money for the big name/ big dollar stuff, or just go with “disposable” items and Amazon knock offs?
You definitely don't have to break the bank to get good flow. Jebao have a very long positive track record now and are less than half the price of Ecotech or AI. Hygger on Amazon also have reliable flow pumps.

hygger.jpg

Yep, I’ve used both Jebao and Hygger with great success.
You definitely don't have to break the bank to get good flow. Jebao have a very long positive track record now and are less than half the price of Ecotech or AI. Hygger on Amazon also have reliable flow pumps.

View attachment 32392216
Thanks for the quick replies!

is everything connected wirelessly these days? I’d like to have two pumps running as master/ slave , but I’m not sold on the Wi-Fi aspect. I’d like modern functionality and wave options with night/day mode, but something as simple as plugging two pumps into one controller. Then again, if both pumps return to the programmed wave mode (after power outages), I don’t guess the zodiac would be too too problematic. I just don’t want to have to reconnect and sync every time the power goes out, or if I unplug and clean my equipment.

Thanks again for the input

Jebao Wavemaker work as master/slave via (I believe) Bluetooth. Got two running now with no issues. Not sure about the Hyggers as I’ve only had one of those.

Have the one shown (Hygger).....it was a replacement for Maxspect XF350's.......too big for my tank. The Hygger is perfect, easy controller, and automatic night mode sensor built in.......

I just added a second Hygger yesterday....(6ft tank).....glorious cross wave water movement.
Put 1st on master, turned on 2nd, put on slave and it linked......set-up within 30 seconds....
I would go with two.....

I’m thinking about trying the Hygger. Question is, just one, or go with two working in tandem? My tank is 48”x24”x30” tall

Any recommendations?
You could also take a look at the Jebao crossflow pumps. They're a gyre knockoff. I got the scp-70 for my 4 foot frag tank and it was too much even on the lowest setting, so I took out for a future project. If i was keeping SPS i would have left it in there. I can't speak to the longevity obviously but it seems very well built, decent flow options, strong magnets, not cheap plastic at all.

I just added a second Hygger yesterday....(6ft tank).....glorious cross wave water movement.
Put 1st on master, turned on 2nd, put on slave and it linked......set-up within 30 seconds....
I would go with two.....
I was leaning that direction, too.

its not even running at 80%...great movement and SUPER quite. Warning on the dry side magnet though.....its a little weak (I have pretty think glass thou). Ended up buying magnet rings from HD.....
Can you please describe the magnetic rings?? The glass is pretty thick on my setup as well.

these are good also: but a little big

One more thing…how deep do they need to be to prevent sucking air into the vortex? I don’t want a bunch of bubbles, and I’m trying to design a rock scape around this style of wave making

Back