Any free-divers on RC? What's your static breathhold?

scubadan206

I'm fairly new to freediving, but I can max out my bottom time at 4:30 in the local pool. I will get in more dives on our January trip to Bonaire.
Show off what you can do here.....

Daniel. :wildone:

I can do approx. 3 mins at about 30ft of swimming around near the bottom, wish I had the time to practice more often.
When diving though you expend much energy in swimming around so your time could drop from 4mins to 3mins or less.
But if you are interested in static breathhold you won't enjoy the fishies at 20-40ft lol

Are you planning to use weight belts?

The only time I was diving in salt, I was essentially by myself, so I was being very cautious. I was spending about a minute at the bottom plus time up and down. Basically just getting used to the pressure and adjusting to equalizing very quickly. I was comfortable at about 35-40 feet. I was wearing a 5 mil wetsuit and using 14 pounds of lead.
The other times I freedive is in our little lake up north. It is only 20 feet deep max and is spring fed. So it has a massive thermocline at only 1-2 feet. I usually just stay at the top since it can easily be 20 degrees colder 5 feet down.
I too wish I had more time to practice. [Also wish I had the ocean out my front door.]:D

when i head to Oz again someday, you've got to tell me where to go diving....would kill to see some acans in the wild

I can do approx. 3 mins at about 30ft of swimming around near the bottom, wish I had the time to practice more often.
When diving though you expend much energy in swimming around so your time could drop from 4mins to 3mins or less.
But if you are interested in static breathhold you won't enjoy the fishies at 20-40ft lol

Are you planning to use weight belts?

3 minutes bottom time is awesome!!
I can max out my lengths/laps underwater at 75 meters if I really push. That works out to a little more than 1:30 while swimming

when i head to Oz again someday, you've got to tell me where to go diving....would kill to see some acans in the wild

I think I have some pics of an acan or two from my recent trips.
I say [might] because I don't remember if that is even the correct ocean for that species. :eek1::eek2:

3 minutes bottom time is awesome!!
I can max out my lengths/laps underwater at 75 meters if I really push. That works out to a little more than 1:30 while swimming

sorry I should've been more specific. 3 mins total give or take, which gives me plenty of time to swim around at 30ft to get a nice shot haha

haven't pushed myself to go that deep, heard too many horror stories around here. Rather wait to get into scuba diving, which would be a bit more safer at those deeper depths.

How do you all practice holding your breath that long?

Experience.
Been snorkeling/free diving since 6-7yo and driving a boat since 13yo.
I'm 21 now. I don't go out every day but I used to go out once a week or every two weeks and still go about twice a month for fishing/spearfishing..
Everything I do is almost instinct when out there. Been through a lot and seen many things happen.

I'm sure if you practice in a large pool, lake or ocean you can get better. If you want to get better quickly, I would practice every other day for at least 30-45mins.
Throw on a mask and snorkel. Build up the muscle in your legs. Go under water, hold your breath and swim around. If might get boring so try to make it fun lol
Not only would this help you hold your breath longer with much practice but it is very good exercise. Having less body fat will help you get down quicker with less oxygen being used. Just something to consider..

Wish I had at least a pool and enough time to practice. Even though I live on the water, time is the hardest thing to acquire :/

That's pretty good, I honestly don't really have a need to hold my breath that long but I find it interesting that people who fee-dive can hold their breath upwards of 5 min or more.

That's pretty good, I honestly don't really have a need to hold my breath that long but I find it interesting that people who fee-dive can hold their breath upwards of 5 min or more.

I guess you can always scuba if anything lol
yea it's pretty crazy how people can go 150ft like nothing and just swim back up.

See my clip on YouTube for my practice.
It's the most fun to do it during swim meets. Kids gather on the walls after they realize I'm not dead down on the bottom. The lifeguards all know me and tell them not to worry, then they all want to know all about it

I can do about a minute static breath hold. I only need between twenty and thirty seconds to d what I need done on that breath hold. It is either chasing and shooting the fish or checking a hole and shooting a fish.

Back