Anyone decided on a June Meeting?

fishfeeder

I have been a regular reader on here and I have always wanted to come to one of the meets that you guys always have and never have. So I was just wondering if anyone has heard or knows anything about a June meeting?

Thanx,

Jay

Likewise :)

I was going to come to the May one at Lucy's but ended up with last second family obligations. (I live about 5 min from Lucy's)

Kwajrock volunteered for June meeting. I am waiting for her to let us know when to come, if the offer is still standing.

We will be going to Aquarium Designs in Birmingham in July. I will firm up the detail with Philip. I need your input on the theme/activities. Philip has given us a number of great presentations in the past.

In August, I propose that we go to Regional frag swap in Chattanooga in leu of the monthly meeting.

Tomoko

What exactly goes on at a frag swap?

If we don't have any corals to swap, will there be people that might be selling frags?

I'm new to the club scene, so any help on what to expect at meetings or frag swaps would be appreciated!

also, if there is anything that I might need to bring with me to a meeting, would also help?!

thanx,

Jay

What exactly goes on at a frag swap?
People with frags display them on a table. People looking for frags browse and chat. Anyone can bring coral frags to trade and/or sell. At the big frag swaps there tends to be more buying/selling, the smaller ones (local club meetings) usually involve more swapping. There are often drawings for dry goods and/or frags.

Our NARC meetings are usually very informal. You don't need to bring anything but yourself; there are now fees or dues. We normally have a brief presentation by someone "in the know" on a reef related topic. Meetings at LFS may or may not include door prizes and eats. Sometimes we pitch in and bring food and drinks, but we'll let you know before hand if that's what we're doing.

Tomoko typically irons out the details of the meetings for us, but she's always open to suggestions from any club member.
HTH,
Mariner

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7498945#post7498945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mariner
there are now fees or dues.

I am assuming this was a typo. We have no dues. I hope to see you at a meeting sometime soon.

Yep, he ment no fees or dues.

As Mariner said, I am open to suggestions.
Please let me know the subject that you are interested in (reef related, of course), for example, how to frag a certain type of corals, what livestock to avoid for a reef aquarium, the acceptable maintenance routines, recommended water paramters, a skimmer or plumbing primer, etc., and I will see if we can get someone do a presentation on it.

Tomoko

hehe....sure, it was a typo. Actually, I was hoping to get some more donations to Mariner's Reef Ministry, Inc. :D
J/K --
Thanks for catching it Tunguska.
Mariner

Danfish,

Here's some information on vascular marine plants:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marvascplts.htm

As for the source, Florida pets have some true marine plants for sale:
http://www.****************/

Try this thread, too:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316328

Although it's not about just true marine plants, you might like the orchisnfish's marine planted tank in this thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=778087&perpage=25&pagenumber=5

I have grown some turtle grass in the past in my 15 gallon reef tank. My hungry turbo snails kept pushing them around and eating some. I eventually gave up because of the turbo snails. The grass grow in shallow costal area and therefore they need strong lighting.

Tomoko

Hello all,

Tomoko - offer still good! I sent a PM before I saw this thread!

Yes the meeting will be at my house on Saturday, June 17 if that is O.K. with everyone. My tanks are up and running (a special thanks to Harry for all his help and encouragement!) and I am dying for you all to see them. The cabinets are not installed yet - but I am assuming everyone would like to see the plumbing and lighting anyway (please say yes, I worked So hard on it.)

I would love to have lunch - nothing fancy, hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill, and lots of soda and beer. Let me know if this is o.k. with everyone and what time y'all want to have it.

Hope to see lots of folks here! Just PM for address and phone!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7510658#post7510658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KwajRocks
Hello all,

The cabinets are not installed yet - but I am assuming everyone would like to see the plumbing and lighting anyway (please say yes, I worked So hard on it.)

I!

Ofcourse that stuff is almost as good as the tanks!! ;) I'm sure everything looks great don't worry so much..

Will

the tanks are VERY IMPRESSIVE. last week i dropped off the vlamingi naso she bought from me and was there almost 2 hours looking at all stuff. didn't think i would be able to make it to the meeting, becuase i am getting married this sat. since it is on the 17th i will be there and see if jason wants to ride over an check out 1200+ gals of reef tanks.

can someone give me directions to this month's meeting? I plan on coming if thats ok? But I don't know how to get there!

Thanx,

Jay

Wife and I want to come, but she teaches a dog training class around the middle of the day.

About what times are we talking?

Well, We usually do about 1 pm, but I can do anytime you guys want. We can even do an evening if you want - since we will have spirits :) - BTW anyone with kids is welcome to bring them along - my two would love the company.

Thank you so much for the nice words lemonhead - I hope you and your wife-to-be can come and hopefully Jason - everyone would love to see them I know! (Might as well break your new wife in early!) Vladimir is doing well. He is quite a stage hog.

Thanks too 8-ball. I hope you and Shannon can come - I owe you a lunch/dinner from your last meeting.

PLease let me know what time you all want to do - I really can do any time at all.

Back