Anyone have experience with a Fowleri/Horseshoe Tang?

I am interested in this tang, but there isn't a whole lot of info out there on them. I know they get pretty big and LA says they are peaceful as far as tangs go, but I am hoping someone that has owned one can tell me more.

Minimum tank size you would recommend?

Their hardiness?

Finicky eaters?

How they get along with other tangs? Particularly other Acanthurus(I have an Atlantic Blue Tang)?

Any of pertinent info you care to share?

Thanks!

They do get quite large. I would say about 200g+ at least 6" length wise. They are easy feeder and is peaceful.

I would think 6 inches is way too short, length wise. A year old tang wouldnt even be able to turn around in there anymore.

Definitely go for something at least 72" long. My experience with them is nil, although I've heard they are very similar to dussumieri tangs which are easy keepers imo. They are quite omnivorous and will eat almost anything you feed, plus when I had a couple little disease issues my dussu was one of the few fish that never showed any external signs.

Same experience here. My Fowleri is about 6" long and is kept with a 6" Maculiceps, 4" Aust Dussumieri, 4" Tennati, and a 3" regal tang. All get along great, eat everything I put in the tank, and are always out.

Again, as mentioned already, I would recommend at least 200g and 6 foot long tank. Mine are kept in a 300dd tank (72" x 36" x 27"), btw. :)

Thanks guys! I have a 210 mixed reef with a very open rockscape(no rock walls here). I have a chance to get one really cheap(under $50 bucks! for about a 6 incher) and was most worried about mixing it with the Atlantic Blue. I appreciate the insight!

The fish was inappropriately labeled and was actually a Dussumieri as far as I can tell. Didn't have the horseshoe and wasn't showing very good colors despite having been at the LFS since February.

I rarely see Dussumieri tangs at my LFS, but they're very nice looking. They grow bigger than naso tangs, I believe up to about 20" IIRC. I couldn't find much info on wetwebmedia or RC at the time, but thought my 6' tank wouldn't be able to house them properly.

love these tangs

love these tangs

I've had a fowler / horseshoe tang for about 8 months and he is a sweet tang!! They change the color all the time depending on it's mood!! It is a pretty pieceful fish but there have been times it's been an a** to my other tangs. for hardiness, it's survived marine velvet but was treated for it when i noticed something wrong!! Since then he is back to full health and is an amazing eater!! Great fish for a reef tank!! i ALSO RECOMMEND A 200G or bigger! I have mine in a 250G DT. Good luck and keep us posted!!! I'll try a post a picture of mine with my Achillies that I've had for about a year!

Last edited:
here a photo of my fowler tang/horseshoe tang

Attachments

• photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
I too have a Fowler tang. Mine is only about 4"-5" long so it doesn't have the real bold coloration yet. I can't speak for all of them, but mine is a very gentle tang. He's always one of the first to feast on the frozen food I put in daily. I've only had him for about 3 months, but he was a wonderful addition to my tank. If you can find one, pick it up. I got mine for $110 off a fellow reefer closing down his tank. I may know where to get one for $150 off a friend if anyone is interested.

i've had mine just over 6.5months and he's getting more colorful by the month. like mentioned above, he changes colors based on his mood.

IMG_0425.jpg

Back