Anyone local using a Theiling Roller Mat?

D-Nak

I'm considering adding one of these to my new build:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/automatic-roller-mat-theiling-1.html

209381_thelingrollermat-c_1.jpg

Anyone local using one? Just interested in your thoughts. I've read some reviews and have seen videos on the unit, but I still have a few questions:

1. How hard is it to change the roll?
2. How much overhead clearance does it need?
3. How long does the roll last (what size tank/flow per hour)?

Anyone speak German? It would be great to get a rough translation of this video, especially with regards to the larger unit shown at the end of the video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oh0w1-7kHXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am. What do you want to know ?

Something tells me you didn't read my post. :beer:

I'd appreciate any commentary regarding the unit -- how well it works, build quality, is it worth the money, if you could do it over again, would you buy it? Stuff like that. Pretty much anything you can tell me based on your experience.

I hate changing my filter socks. And I hate trying to wash them without my wife finding out. So, it looks like this roller mat is a good alternative, but I need to make sure that:

1. It's a solid unit
2. I'm not going to have to replace the filter roll every month (my goal would be every 6-8 months)

Love mine..

changing the roll is about a 5 min job

you need very little over head room.. maybe 3-4 inches

my roll lasted 3 months. My skimmer seems to do very little since the roll is in place as all of the water must past it and it does a way better job keeping the water clean vs socks

Following...seems extremely overpriced for what it does. It says it keeps from changing out filter socks so often...yet you still need to change put the rolls every so often anyways right? Just doesn't seem that hard to me to have a few socks on hand it literally takes 30 seconds to change out a sock...I don't know maybe I'm missing something here??

Following...seems extremely overpriced for what it does. It says it keeps from changing out filter socks so often...yet you still need to change put the rolls every so often anyways right? Just doesn't seem that hard to me to have a few socks on hand it literally takes 30 seconds to change out a sock...I don't know maybe I'm missing something here??

If you have no issue changing out socks then it's not worth the money imo. I don't own a roller mat because I run an AIO but for me, this seems absolutely worth every penny. I hate changing socks and almost always leave them in too long.

need to find one of these for a large 800 gallon system. something that can handle large water flow.. ideas.?

Also wondering about a solution for large tanks. I hate thinking that I need multiple units. Anyone using on 400+ gallon aquarium?

Chris

I ended up picking one up. I'm waiting pricing on a custom sump (the design is not final yet) so I can install it on my new system.

I ended up picking one up. I'm waiting pricing on a custom sump (the design is not final yet) so I can install it on my new system.

Please let me know how it goes, i am building a new 180G and planning to add the Roller as well. Where did you order it? BRS? Also, it's apparently Euro fitting and you will need adapters to plumb it.

Love mine..

changing the roll is about a 5 min job

you need very little over head room.. maybe 3-4 inches

my roll lasted 3 months. My skimmer seems to do very little since the roll is in place as all of the water must past it and it does a way better job keeping the water clean vs socks

Can you or anyone using the roller mat explain how you change the roll. I understand that you pop out the empty roller and install the new one but what about the other roller with the nasty brown used mat. Do you have to really "unroll" all that nasty used fleece or does the roller come apart and slide the used roll off??

Can you or anyone using the roller mat explain how you change the roll. I understand that you pop out the empty roller and install the new one but what about the other roller with the nasty brown used mat. Do you have to really "unroll" all that nasty used fleece or does the roller come apart and slide the used roll off??

you pull the "clean/new roll" side spool up and undo the remainder of the clean media. then pull the "dirty/old roll" spindle side up and take it to the trash can, the black plastic part of the spindle roll separates side to side and the dirty media will fall into the trash can. Done..

the media roll is like a toilet paper roll.

to put the new media on you simply put the new media roll on the clean side spindle and pull some of the media out, run it over the small black roller and then around the big wheel and up to the other small black roller and on to the "dirty/used" spindle.

kinda hard to describe but next roll change ill try and shoot a video. its really simple

you pull the "clean/new roll" side spool up and undo the remainder of the clean media. then pull the "dirty/old roll" spindle side up and take it to the trash can, the black plastic part of the spindle roll separates side to side and the dirty media will fall into the trash can. Done..

the media roll is like a toilet paper roll.

to put the new media on you simply put the new media roll on the clean side spindle and pull some of the media out, run it over the small black roller and then around the big wheel and up to the other small black roller and on to the "dirty/used" spindle.

kinda hard to describe but next roll change ill try and shoot a video. its really simple

Thanks for the reply!!! Yeah little confuse since BRS only show the new roll fleece and not a new roller for the used fleece. So from what I'm understanding from your post is the sides come apart to slide the old fleece out and into the trash can??

Thanks for the reply!!! Yeah little confuse since BRS only show the new roll fleece and not a new roller for the used fleece. So from what I'm understanding from your post is the sides come apart to slide the old fleece out and into the trash can??

correct.

Back