Anyone silicone their powerstrips?

SeanT

Premium Member
I am fifnishing up my sump room and I have installed some good quality power strips.
I have them mounted on the wall, fairly close to the sump.
So this is a high humidity area.
I was wondering if anyone silicones the power strips where the top and bottom halves are screwed together to try and prevent pre-mature rusting?
Thanks,
Sean

I have never seen it done, but there could be good and bad things caused by doing it. Personally, I think the bad outweigh the possible good.

The bad would be to actually trap moisture in there and not allow it to evaporate. One example is like a gas grill with a cover on it. Sure it keeps the rain off, but underneath it is often a very moist environment. Kind of like sweating with a rain coat on.

On the other hand, you could get some small packages of desicant and put in the strip before you seal it up. Are you planning on sealing the plug in holes also? Kind of pointless if you didn't. What about the switch? Seal it up too, or moisture will migrate into the strip. But you will not be able to turn it off then.

I imagine these desicant packages would eventually "fill up" and need to be replaced or re-charged.

Any way of moving the strip to an area with more air movement?

Do not forget the screw holes on the back too.

How close will they be? Any new pics for reference?

Back