anyone use live rock in filter?

kelleymmm1

So i just took out 2 anemones and 3 crabs and thought i might change my filter. The idea of using live rock rubble, but can i just break live rock in pieces. I have a fission skimmer in the back.Its a 12g by the way.I was wondering on advice for a setup as far as what to put in which chamber. I have also been using a purgen bag and 2 sponge squares and 1 bag of carbon.

right now i am in the process of doing a custom stand for my 24dx nano my plans are to have a gravity return fuge to prevant flooding but on to your question from my experience and talking to others and a few LFS by putting the rubble in the back it resticts some flow not much but it does a little so the tank will stay a few degrees hotter my tank runs close to 80 with the lights on during the day, upstairs. It might be cooler downstairs and it also depends on what temp you keep your house at.
and yes you can just take the LR and smash it up with a hammer that is what i did for mine you can also get some in the LFS if they sale the rubble. over all i think it is a really great move if you can aford the few degrees my tank on start up went through the main cycle which usually take about 4-5 weeks in about two for me but i have 45lbs LS 30lbs LR and about 7lbs LR rubble in the second chamber so the tank was almost maxed out with bacteria space

if you have any questions or want some pics e-mail me or pm me and ill get back to you ASAP

Back