Apex Firmware Update problem - Socket operation error

toaster77

Hi All,

I'm trying to update to the latest 4.04BC10 firmware from 4.01BA09.... and borrowed a friend's laptop (i'm a mac user and not familiar with PCs). When I run the updater I get an error saying operation failed, and "A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host 192.168.1.171:1066" I've run previous updates w/o too many problems.

Please advise!

Thanks!

For future reference the uploader can be used on a Mac under MONO; there are instructions in the readme...

Have you tried running Windows in "Safe Mode"; there are any number of reasons for errors like these and safe mode disables most (if not all) of the conditions.

Thanks Kenargo. I read the post below that recommends safe mode with networking, tried that and got the same error... The PC is connected directly to the Apex. I will maybe try doing it from a Mac later. Thanks.

i'm still having issues...

with the PC i'm using direct connect to the Apex via a ethernet cable and still get the error i posted originally, i've tried safe mode w/networking as well with no luck, but then it says ARP entry failed. I've followed the instructions as outlined in the unofficial users guide.

anyone have any other ideas i can try?

i tried briefly with a mac (OS 10.6.5) and also failed... i'm worried the necessary programs haven't been updated yet to properly work with the latest OS version yet.

Are you using the IP address of your controller in the IP address field of the loader? Your port (if you changed it from the default of 80) goes in the port field. Do not combine them together like you would in a browser to access the controller.

Are you using the IP address of your controller in the IP address field of the loader? Your port (if you changed it from the default of 80) goes in the port field. Do not combine them together like you would in a browser to access the controller.

yes, i've kept them separate. 192.168.1.50 in the IP address, port 80 separate in the port field. It goes all the way to the Apex in bootloading mode, then gives the socket operation error.

In your first post in this thread, you listed a different IP address (192.168.1.171). What is the address of your controller and is that what you've been using in the firmware loader?

In your first post in this thread, you listed a different IP address (192.168.1.171). What is the address of your controller and is that what you've been using in the firmware loader?

The address of the controller is 192.168.1.50 (static). Yeah that why the .171 address is so weird and was hoping it would be diagnostic of something...

The upload for firmware does not use the configured IP address or port (those are only used to update web pages). The uploader uses UDP to a phantom address in order to talk to the bootloader in the Apex.

When you start the update; does the Apex LED start flashing?

nnn.nnn.nnn.171 is the default address the Apex firmware updater uses on a temporary basis during the upgrade process. As part of the process, the updater creates what is called an ARP table entry. If the Windows user does not have the proper permissions, the ARP entry creation will fail. I think that might be what's happening here. Check to see if the Windows user account you used is an administrator. If not, use the administrator account, or try right-clicking on the firmware updater icon then choose "Run as Administrator"

thanks guys for the suggestions.

when i run the updater, orange light stays steady, no flashing and no green

i am logged on as administrator and it still fails. It detects the 192.168.1.50 IP, then says apex in bootloader mode, then attempt 1, then the .171 socket error

Do I understand it correctly that you start getting the count for attempted connections and then you get a socket error? That would indicate that something on the network is answering the connection to that address.

On the Windows machine, open a command prompt and do this:

arp -d
ping 192.168.1.171

If you get replies, then there is something on your network already using that address, which as Ken stated could cause this problem too.

The upload for firmware does not use the configured IP address or port (those are only used to update web pages).
BTW Ken, the firmware update function does use the configured IP address (and the credentials). It actually establishes a telnet session to put the Apex in bootloader mode. As you stated, the http port is only used by the web file upload function, not the firmware update

it gets to attempt 1 only, and then provides the socket error.

I am connecting direct from laptop to apex via ethernet cable. i tried to ping that .171 address and nothing came up...

thanks for all the suggestions, i will be out of town for a few days and will keep trying when i get back. i may borrow a friend's PC laptop to see if the same problem happens.

I am connecting direct from laptop to apex via ethernet cable

This might be the problem. There's some specific things you have to do to configure your laptop to work directly with the Apex - you essentially are defining a mini-network consisting of your laptop and Apex. There's a page in the User Guide that discusses this and give you the step by step. I recommend you start there and make sure that the laptop and the base module are properly optioned for this configuration.

This might be the problem. There's some specific things you have to do to configure your laptop to work directly with the Apex - you essentially are defining a mini-network consisting of your laptop and Apex. There's a page in the User Guide that discusses this and give you the step by step. I recommend you start there and make sure that the laptop and the base module are properly optioned for this configuration.

yes, i followed the instructions in the user guide very carefully for the direct connection from PC to Apex, and get this very error. the strange thing is i used this laptop successfully to update previous versions of the software via direct connection, but it's been awhile since i last did it (4.01) and now i can't get it to work for this latest update. will keep troubleshooting

Back