Apex fusion & update issues

Joeb1983

Posted in Netune as well, but first off... I am pretty weak when it comes to computers and anything computer related.

Anyways, I recently bought a new Apex JR and initially setup with/to Fusion to include the current add on modules (AWM, WXM & EB8) per the setup instructions.

Couldn't have been easier. Connected to fusion. Haven't touched it since...

Now I am in the process of adding their recommended NETGEAR wireless adapter.

I set up the adapter to my home network. (easy enough)

Its connected to my home network according to the status and confirmed with my laptop. (surfing internet with wireless turned off utilizing the newly configured adapter)

However when connected to the Apex I get the this error:

! This Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion.

I tried directly connecting it to my router itself just as did with initial setup and I still get the error.

Using their troubleshooting guide it tells me to update firmware as there is one available.

This Apex is presently running firmware version 4.40J_8G15.

Version 4.40_3A16 is available; it's recommended that you update to this version.

However, when I try to download and open the latest firmware update from any browser and any source/link they provide I receive this error:

Application not found.

I'm lost...

Ive followed the videos, green light left yellow light right, net-setup, DHCP on, restarts, etc...

Even in download history and in my drive, I try to open the file same error.

I cant figure it out. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

First, I assume your Apex is setup as DHCP and not static IP? If it's static IP, switch it back to DHCP. Disconnect the power from the Apex. Assuming you aren't using an optional AC adapter, unplug the Aquabus cable from the base unit. Then connect your Apex via a wired connection back to your network. Now reconnect the Aquabus cable to the base unit. You apex should then be reachable on your network. You can use the display to access the network settings menu and try to connect to it from your home network using the Apex IP address. If that works, try fusion or just try fusion first. As a side note, never attempt to update the firmware using a wireless adapter connected to the Apex. You risk bricking it.

As for the Netgear adapter, I would test it using a laptop of computer. Set the wireless bridge up and then connect a computer/laptop to it using a network cable. If that works, unplug the Aquabus cable from the base unit, connect the network connection from the base unit to the wireless bridge and then connect the Aquabus cable. It should work.

P.S. Most Apex network issues are the result of wireless bridges. It doesn't matter which type, they often seem to cause issues if they aren't setup right. There are a number of reasons why they cause issues but most often than not, it's the settings within the bridge that cause the issue. I always suggest a wired connection whenever possible. I went to great lengths to have my Apex hardwired to my network and it's never once been an issue.

I assume your Apex is setup as DHCP and not static IP?

I dont even know what the difference is to be honest... I set it up however they instructed me to. DHCP is on I know that...

As a side note, never attempt to update the firmware using a wireless adapter connected to the Apex. You risk bricking it.

I saw that. They note this numerous times. It is hard wired currently, however I can even open the firmware update at all on my PC.

I receive this error:

Application not found.

As for the Netgear adapter, I would test it using a laptop of computer.

I did and it works just fine. Surfed the internet and watched some videos.

Like I said, it is currently hard wired at the moment. 100% functional internet. Still says my Apex is not connected.

Appreciate the reply. Ill try what you suggested with the unplugging and plugging.

I was trying to double click the zip file to open it... A member kindly informed me. lol!

Anyways, I unzipped the folder and successfully updated the firmware on my apex.

In the self test on the Apex's display it reflects the update was a success and it has the latest firmware version installed.

However, I am still getting the error that my Apex is disconnected and not connected to fusion. It also informs me via the fusion website I am still running the old firmware version and require an update...

Like I said, my Apex unit itself is telling me the firmware update was a success and I am running the latest and greatest current version.

How do I get it to "connect" back to fusion?..

This stuff is way over my head...

This Apex hasn't connected to Fusion in at least 24 hours. Commonly, this results from the Apex being physically disconnected from the network, e.g., a loose cable or bad Wi-Fi adapter, or incorrect network configuration on the Apex. Please review the sections below for assistance.

Update firmware - UPDATED

Check connection - CHECKED

Check WiFi - CHECKED

Use DHCP - DHCP ON

Check Gateway - IP address reflects my routers IP address

Check DNS - Apex list my routers IP as primary, secondary is 0.0.0.0.

Follow the instructions, "reboot system after update" and "update network settings" and I get this...

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I turned off all security and firewalls and same outcome... Starting to get frustrated.

This stuff is way over my head...

This Apex hasn't connected to Fusion in at least 24 hours. Commonly, this results from the Apex being physically disconnected from the network, e.g., a loose cable or bad Wi-Fi adapter, or incorrect network configuration on the Apex. Please review the sections below for assistance.

Update firmware - UPDATED

Check connection - CHECKED

Check WiFi - CHECKED

Use DHCP - DHCP ON

Check Gateway - IP address reflects my routers IP address

Check DNS - Apex list my routers IP as primary, secondary is 0.0.0.0.

Follow the instructions, "reboot system after update" and "update network settings" and I get this...

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I turned off all security and firewalls and same outcome... Starting to get frustrated.

What browser are you using? Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer? Try a different browser. To me it sounds like a browser issue.

I've tried both Firefox and IE. I'll try again tomorrow.

Worst case I'll give them a call.

Just frustrated with myself more than anything...

I hate feeling dumb. Haha!

Did you try rebooting your computer? Try Chrome. I.E. Should work though. Not sure about Firefox.
From the sounds of it, you still have the Apex connected to a wireless bridge? When you did the firmware update, did you do the 2nd step of the update and update the www files? If not, you need to do that too. It's done through the same firmware update utility. Just select update www. If you updated the www files, and are still connected via the wireless bridge, go back to a wired connection. If that works, then it's something with your wireless bridge settings. In that case, I would contact Netgear.

It's still hard wired from my router. Laptop is hard wired to router as well.

Yes I made sure to do the second part.

Like I said, the apex took the update and it displays the current up to date firmware on the apex's display.

Just isn't connected to fusion.

Also, I've restarted:

Laptop
Router
Apex

No luck...

Last edited:
Got up this morning and tried yet another browser...

I am not getting a connection reset this time however, I've had spinning wheels for the past hour. (Apex's big orange and Window's small blue)

If I pull up my router's IP and access it I see all the devices connected to it both wired and wireless... The Apex is not listed.

If I type in the Apex's IP address and access it via the username and password, I can pull up network configuration and from what I see everything is correct.

Apex's IP address
Primary IP address is my routers

I clicked reboot system after update then update network settings and I am like I said, spinning.

This is what I am doing if this helps explain it:

The gateway setting in the Apex network setup must match the IP address of your router. (It does)

As a simple test, if for example your Apex network setup uses a gateway of 192.168.1.1, then entering http://192.168.1.1 into the address field of your web browser should open the authentication screen for your router. (I did for both my router and Apex, see above)

If it doesn't, then you probably need to change the gateway setting on the Apex to reflect your router's IP address. (No need; it matches)

Restart your Apex after doing so by selecting the Reboot system after update option before clicking Update Network Settings. (Spinning wheels after clicking)

After about an hour and a half:

Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this
•Make sure you’ve got the right web address
•Refresh the page
•Search for what you want

This is nuts...

Just to clarify, you have updated the firmware and www files.
You are direct connected to your DSL router via a wired connection.
You cannot access your Apex via Fusion. You are registered there and have already connected it to Fusion by enabling Fusion in the Apex settings screen and adding the "Fusion Token" to Apexfusion.com.
Correct?

Were you ever able to access your Apex via Fusion? From the sounds of it, I gather you were able to access it until you started playing with the Netgear Adapter. Is that correct? Out of curiosity sake, what DSL company and DSL router are you using?

With DHCP enabled, all the gateway info should automatically be set. I assume you have both Fusion Enable and Fusion control enabled in the network settings page? See below. Fusion enable is all that is needed to view the Apex via Fusion. It's the field just above where the arrow is pointing to. Fusion Control (arrow) allows you to make changes and control things via Fusion.
image_zpsdfekvsmt.jpeg

When you go to Apexfusion.com and enter your username and password, do you get this page below that lists your Apex?
image_zpshwmzakoc.jpeg

On your default web interface when you connect to your Apex via it's IP address and go to the dashboard, do you have a "Fusion OK" tile there? If you don't see it, look in the hidden tiles by clicking the "edit" button in the upper right. A window will open up with all of your unused tiles. In there should be a Fusion status tile. The Fusion tile looks like the one in the upper right of the image below.
image_zps1df3dcul.png

If all else fails, I may direct you to the official Apex User Forum. There is one other thing you could try/test.. It shouldn't impact Fusion connectivity but it's possible that your DSL router is blocking the default Port: 80. In your network settings screen is the HTTP Port setting. See network setting screen above. You can also do that from your display but I always use the web interface. Change that to a different number. You can try something like 2000. Make sure to have the "Reboot System After Update" checked and hit the sumbit/update button.

Clear your browsers cache before you try to access Fusion again.
For reference, here is a link to the "Official" Neptune forum. This takes you to the Fusion section there which if all else fails is where I would suggest posting a thread. Be sure to describe in detail all the steps you have taken to trouble shoot this.
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forumdisplay.php?44-APEX-Fusion

When I login into fusion, yes my apex is listed with the red exclamation mark.

When I click it it tells me my Apex is disconnected from fusion and I'm running the old firmware version and an update is available (even though my Apex itself shows I have the current, updated firmware after I updated it)

I'll have my buddy who's an IT guy see if he can lend a hand because to be honest I feel overwhelmed.

Thanks again for the help. It is very much appreciated!

I'll try putting 2000 in the port.

I haven't adjusted any settings at all and on my screen:

DHCP is enabled
Primary IP is my routers
Port is the default 80
Open access XML is disabled

Last edited:
When I login into fusion, yes my apex is listed with the red exclamation mark.

When I click it it tells me my Apex is disconnected from fusion and I'm running the old firmware version and an update is available (even though my Apex itself shows I have the current, updated firmware after I updated it)

I'll have my buddy who's an IT guy see if he can lend a hand because to be honest I feel overwhelmed.

Thanks again for the help. It is very much appreciated!

I'll try putting 2000 in the port.

Glad to help. Take a deep breath. It's easier than you think.

That red exclamation mark is a tell tale sign.. If you see the red exclamation mark when you log into Fusion like the one shown for "Apex" in my Apex Fusion web page screen shot above, that means the Apex isn't accessible to Fusion. This is typically the result of a network configuration issue or in the case of the one Apex above, that is my backup Apex base unit and it's not plugged in. If you can currently access your Apex via your home network though the IP address, I would surmise that it's one of a couple things. Since your Apex is set to DHCP, it should have the correct IP/Subnet/Gateway settings as that is issued out by your DSL router.

Either Apex Fusion was inadvertently disabled in the Apex network settings page. See image above of the Network settings page. I would double check it to make sure there is a check in Apex Fusion Enable. The only other thing I can think of would be your router blocking it for some reason. In that same Apex Network setting page shown above, you can see the HTTP port number. The Default is Port 80. While Fusion doesn't care what port number you use, it's possible that the Apex is being blocked by your router on your home network. Try changing that port number to 2000. Then put a check in the "Reboot System After Update". Again see network settings page. Then click "Update Network Settings" at the bottom of that page. While the port number should have nothing to do with your issue, it's worth a try.

To get to the network settings page, type the IP address of your Apex into your web browser. Then click the configuration tab and select Network Setup. If you cannot access the Apex via the IP address (which I think is the case), you can change the port number from the display as well and you can also double check the Fusion Enable from there by doing the following.

First press the round button in the center of the display. Use the down arrow to toggle to the System screen then hit the round button. Use the down arrow to go to the Net Setup and then hit the round button. To check the Fusion Enable, use the down arrow select Fusion Setup and hit the round button. Server should be ON and so should Control. You can hit exit to go back to the the System screen. To change the port number use the down arrow to go to HTTP Port and hit the round button. Then use the up arrow to change the number. I would suggest 2000. Then select Save by pressing the upper right button below the "Save" on the display. Next use the up or down arrow to select Restart and hit the round button. Give the Apex a couple minutes to restart before trying your web browser.

I asked before but I don't think you answered the question. Who is your DSL provider and what is the make/model of your DSL router?

My Internet provider is COX communications.

Router is a netgear R7500

Does your Cox supplied cable/DSL modem have a built in hub? If so, have you tried connecting your Apex direct to that and not to the R7500 to see if Fusion will work?

There is something likely going on with the network that is preventing the Apex from communicating with the Fusion servers. I would run through the steps mentioned above in my previous posts. As I said, I don't think it's the port as that shouldn't have any impact on Fusion but it's worth a try. Most of us advance users end up switching the default port anyway so changing it to 2000 as I suggested above certainly isn't going to hurt anything and it's very simple to do. It would appear that something is blocking your Apex from not only Fusion but accesss to the default web interface. This is likely your DSL router and it could be as simple as a setting in it. It could also be that your network settings are incorrect but with DHCP, that is doubltful. Trouble shooting network issues is a bit more complex and I won't go down that path with you because that can be overwhelming and also tough to do via forum messages. If the port issue doesn't solve it, it might then be best to have your IT buddy help you out.

Last edited:
In thinking about this and talking to my friend, I can't help but wonder if it has to do with your DSL modem and DSL router.

Above I inquired about your DSL modem and whether it has multiple network ports on it.. I am assuming you have a model with the R7500 connected to that modem via a network cable. If that is the case, try connecting the Apex direct to that modem assuming there are additional network ports on it. If the modem does have multiple network ports on it and you are using the R7500 as a router, the modem should be setup for "Pass Through". If it's not setup that way, you are likely to have issues. Connecting the Apex direct to that modem should allow Fusion connectivity and may solve the regular IP based access issue.

Another thought. Some cable providers and or DSL devices limit the number of MAC addresses that can be active at any time on the DSL router/modem. You mentioned earlier that you saw your computers listed on the network but not the Apex which by the way will not be listed as Apex. It will be listed as unknown device or by it's unique MAC address. The number of active devices on your network could be part of your issue. You can try shutting off other computers, network devices and or wireless devices then rebooting the modem and then the DSL router and see if the Apex comes up and can be accessed both via Fusion and the IP address web access. The idea is to reduce the number of active network connections to see if it's the number of devices on your network that's preventing the Apex from being accessible. If it comes up and works after disconnecting other network devices, start turning on one network device at a time and see what happens.

The modem I have only has one Ethernet out. I tried directly connecting the Apex to the modems single port and restarted the Apex and used my cell to login to fusion...

Same error.

In the Apex's IP address config, I changed the port to 2000.

After I clicked reboot system after update then update network settings I got the spinning wheel and then the usual:

Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this
•Make sure you’ve got the right web address
•Refresh the page
•Search for what you want

However when I go into the Apex units display itself it list port 2000 now...

The strange thing is after I attempt to login to fusion it gives me the error, but has the screen in the background with the clock running... Pics attached of what is going on.

Oh, and now my Apex's IP address is listed under connected devices in my routers menu as a wired connection.

Attachments

• apex disconnected.jpg
    apex disconnected.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
  • Apex fusion login screen.jpg
    Apex fusion login screen.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • netgear connected devices.jpg
    netgear connected devices.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here are some pics I took of the Apex's display showing:

It has the same IP address listed in my routers connected devices list.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0
Back