API Melafix for Flat Worms?

Toadally

Has anyone used this product to eradicate flat worms? I was going to use Salifert flat worm exit, but the LFS didn't have any and their distributer doesn't carry it. I'm just wondering because i added one dose and the corals didn't respond too well. All my inverts looked good this morning, and it appears I didn't lose anything overnight. It calls for 7 consecutive doses to eradicate the pests. Just wondering if I should continue. Thanks for any info that you can give...and it is appreciated!

I haven't tried dosing that into a reef tank. I'd be cautious. It's going to be a more general treatment than Flatworm Exit. Personally, I wouldn't dose it, but it might work well enough.

It's an anti bacterial medication for fish. Never heard of it as effective against flat worms and don't know how it would be. has someone reported itwill kill flatworms? I would not dose it to a reeftank etiher.

OK. Something new to me. The product name is Melafix Marine. I have not used it.It may be ok for dips but maybe not for in tank treatments as the manufacturer recommends it as a dip and preventative. . The flatworms themselves give off toxins as they die which may be stressing the corals or the product may be too much for them beyond a short bath .
Personally, I wouldn't use it in a reeftank without more information and there isn't much out there on it.

Note regualr Melafix is anti bacterial:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11269

The directions don't say it can be used in a tank. I wouldn't dose it, personally. It's indicated as a dip or a short bath (prophylactic treatment).

When used as a dip, it does kill pods, brittle stars, etc. I never used it in the tank. I'm not sure about red flatworms, as I never had them, but it definitely does not kill acro-eating flatworms, it just stuns them.

Back