Aptasia inside my clam

BL117

I have been seeing something accasionally stick out of my clam. Tonight with a flashlight i got a good look and it's aptasia. Anyone have any idea if this is normal? What can i do to remove the aptasia? I should also specify that this clam was purchased 3 days ago. Also my clam decided it didn't like it's perfect little spot and dove to the bottom hurting it's mantle (if that's the colored part). Will it heal on it's own?

Thanks in advance for all the help. i've been on reading in this part of the forum for almost 4 hours now. Time for bed.

ezcompany

Premium Member
i don't think thats possible. aptisia can attach to the shell but not fleshy parts of the mantle. are you saying its on the fleshy part?

BL117

Well after more research and time sitting and watching the clam late at night I discovered the problem. Bristle worms. The aptasia was off the clam within a day or two of me posting thanks to my little pepermint shrimp.

I am sorry to say however that this clam did not make it. I noticed it retract and new something was horribly wrong. I reached in and picked it up. Twenty or so bristle worms dropped out of the bottom of it. I am stunned. My other clams seem to be ok but now i'm worried. I have spent the last hour going over my tank with a red LED flashlight and have discovered the bases of some of my corals have been and are being nibbled on. Anyone have a quick fast way of removing the bristleworms before they do more damage? I can't pull the rock out as many corals have attatched themselves to multiple rocks. i'm going to buy a bristleworm trap and make a larger one but if there is a chemical that will rid my tank of them i'll use it. i never use chemicals but this is rediculous. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.