AquaMaxx Bubble Stopper for HOB-1. Anybody??

Scuba Dan

Issue with my AquaMaxx HOB-1. Besides the Micro bubbles, Im getting larger bubbles as the water exits the skimmer and goes through the exit pipe that goes into the tank. Anybody else have this problem? Will the AquaMaxx Bubble Stopper take care of this issue?
Thanks....

Issue with my AquaMaxx HOB-1. Besides the Micro bubbles, Im getting larger bubbles as the water exits the skimmer and goes through the exit pipe that goes into the tank. Anybody else have this problem? Will the AquaMaxx Bubble Stopper take care of this issue?
Thanks....

Hi Scuba Dan, How long has the skimmer been up and running? Is the aquarium fairly new? The skimmer does take a couple of weeks to break in and the microbubbles should be reduced after the break-in period. The larger bubbles are normal: however, they should dissipate quickly. Directing the outlet to a corner, or calmer area, of the aquarium will allow the bigger air bubbles to dissipate without getting in to your aquarium.

If the skimmer is broken in but there are still microbubbles, we would recommend checking to see if there is anything added to the aquarium that may be increasing the viscosity of the water. Many oily foods, medications, epoxies and certain additives will increase the viscosity of the water. This may also occur if the aquarium is newly cycled as organics levels are higher than a typical aquarium. The thicker water causes bubbles to stay in the water column longer than it otherwise would and often leads to excess microbubbles. In this case, do a large 25%-30% water change and run activated carbon to help thin out the water.

We would recommend checking the above. The bubble stopper definitely does do the job: however, it is usually not needed.

Its been set up for awhile. The micro bubbles are not all that bad. Its the large bubbles. As the water goes out the exit pipe down the tube that is in the water, its somehow picking up air. The water has a good 1"-1.5" drop before it hits the tank water level. As the bubbles come to the top, the small splashes make a mess of the area with salt creep. I don't think it's a breaking in issue but more of a design issue.. Im guessing that enough people complained about the issue that Aquamaxx now has the AquaMaxx Bubble Stopper available.

Its been set up for awhile. The micro bubbles are not all that bad. Its the large bubbles. As the water goes out the exit pipe down the tube that is in the water, its somehow picking up air. The water has a good 1"-1.5" drop before it hits the tank water level. As the bubbles come to the top, the small splashes make a mess of the area with salt creep. I don't think it's a breaking in issue but more of a design issue.. Im guessing that enough people complained about the issue that Aquamaxx now has the AquaMaxx Bubble Stopper available.

Hi Scuba Dan,

If it is the larger air bubbles, then the bubble stopper would indeed do the trick!

I have the aquamaxx HOB-1 and don't really run into this problem. I do however have my outlet extended underwater replacing the clear tubing with regular extended PVC. 1.5'' exit drop, How has this not driven you crazy? Geez lol

I have the exact same issue. Not micro bubbles but larger, nosier bubbles that flick salt-spray when hitting the water surface. My skimmers been running 4 months.

Great skimmer but I would not recommend it due to the fact that as a customer, I am expected to purchase an official 'bubble stopper' so that the skimmer works as it should have done from day one.

A design flaw should not lead to more company profits :(

I have the exact same issue. Not micro bubbles but larger, nosier bubbles that flick salt-spray when hitting the water surface. My skimmers been running 4 months.

Great skimmer but I would not recommend it due to the fact that as a customer, I am expected to purchase an official 'bubble stopper' so that the skimmer works as it should have done from day one.

A design flaw should not lead to more company profits :(

^^^ Agree. Aquamaxx would have never made the bubble stopper if there wasn't a problem. Now you have to pay close to $30.00 after shipping for a part to stop something that should have never been a issue from the beginning. I dont expect Aquamaxx to give the bubble stopper away, but $30.00+ seems a bit much.

The bubble stopper definitely does do the job: however, it is usually not needed.

I have an original HOB-1, the second generation HOB-1 with the 'bottle' plate and a ConeS HOB. They all produce bubbles that generate salt spray or build up somewhere on your tank. Yes the initial 'micro' bubbles do diminish but they come back when you clean it. It's a fundamental of their designs that all of their HOB skimmers continue to produce bubbles that enter the tank.

When the bubble stopper was first introduced it was $19.98 on the MD site. I saw that and thought it was expensive. When the price went up I couldn't believe it.

It's a freakin' schedule 40 fitting with a sponge glued on it in Korea!

As much I would like to buy the bubble stopper, I'm having a hard time justifying the $30.00 price tag. As long at the skimmer has been out, I'm surprised that I cant find some type of DIY bubble stopper for the Aquamaxx. ;)

DIY bubble stopper:

Add pvc ELL and pvc 45 so that the skimmer outflow is directed up and toward a back corner to the tank, far away from any powerheads. Solved my bubble problem.

DIY bubble stopper:

Add pvc ELL and pvc 45 so that the skimmer outflow is directed up and toward a back corner to the tank, far away from any powerheads. Solved my bubble problem.

Tried that and it put a salt build up on the rim of my tank. Bubbles have to pop someplace. :worried:

Tried that and it put a salt build up on the rim of my tank. Bubbles have to pop someplace. :worried:

I stuck an old inlet sponge on the underwater outlet. It works but it does create back-pressure when / if it clogs.

Again, Aquamaxx should step up and offer the 'bubble stopper' at cost. Without using an old return sponge, I can hear my skimmer gurgling clear across the room.

Many thanks to everyone for your feedback. We really appreciate it! Your feedback has helped us create some of the best skimmers around.

We felt offering the bubble trap was a better option for most users. Many don’t need, or want, a bubble trap. In many applications, such as AIO-style aquariums or sumps, having a fixed bubble trap would make installation difficult or impossible. Rather than make everyone pay $250-$255 for a skimmer with a fixed bubble trap, the feedback we received was most would rather have the option of being able to purchase the skimmer alone at a lower price. However, if we continue to receive feedback that indicates otherwise, we will definitely reconsider!

As water levels differ from tank to tank, another way to reduce the larger bubbles without the Bubble Stopper is to shorten the pipe between the tee and elbow fitting. Bringing the elbow slightly above the water level will help reduce the amount of large air bubbles.

We work hard to make sure our skimmers are the quietest possible without sacrificing performance and apologize if we've let you down. By listening to valuable feedback like this and continuing to experiment, we believe we can deliver on our goal to provide you with the the highest performance product at the lowest cost to you.

Thank you all so much for your honesty. We'd love to talk more! Please email us at info@aquamaxxaquariums.com.

Many don’t need, or want, a bubble trap. In many applications, such as AIO-style aquariums or sumps, having a fixed bubble trap would make installation difficult or impossible. Rather than make everyone pay $250-$255 for a skimmer with a fixed bubble trap, the feedback we received was most would rather have the option of being able to purchase the skimmer alone at a lower price.

Then I think that this should be pointed out in your advertising campaign on vendors sites. As the skimmer is specifically named a 'HOB' skimmer, the assumption is that it hangs-on-the-back of an aquarium (not in a sump). If that's the case, then these problematic bubbles enter the aquarium.

Perhaps take the 'HOB' out of the products label if extra equipment has to be purchased to allow satisfactory operation as a HOB skimmer.

I ran a Remora Pro for 10 yrs (HOB) and the bubbles in the tank were zero. There is a design flaw with the Aquamaxx skimmer and I don't think passing the cost of the flaw onto the customer is the way to go.

Kind of like an auto company charging for mechanics time on a recall. :hmm1:

Thanks to Aquamaxx for giving some input on this issue.

I purchased my Aquamaxx HOB-1 back in 2013. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2305854) I used it for 3-4 months and could not stop the larger bubbles. Tired of cleaning the salt creep mess, I removed the Aquamaxx skimmer, cleaned it up, put it back in the box and into the closet it went. I purchased the Tunze 9002 skimmer and still using it to this day. I promised my daughter a tank if she made good grades, so I thought I'd give the Aquamaxx one more try (Didn't want to go out and buy another skimmer.) That's why I started this thread to see about the bubble stopper. The Aquamaxx does a great job skimming, but that discharge set up is a very poor design. (In my opinion.) Its hard for me to believe that Aquamaxx did not notice the issue with the bubbles right away during testing. Its so obvious as soon as you plug it in. I may have to bite the bullet and purchase the the bubble stopper. As stated above, Its a bit hard to justify spending the money to fix a design flaw but then again, its cheaper than buying another skimmer like I did the first time around. ;)

Last edited:
I give up!!! These bubbles have me beat with this Aquamaxx. So I bite the bullet and purchase the so called "Bubble stopper" Does it work?? Somewhat, Kinda, sorta but still have bubble issues. :( Now I see this. Modify the bubble stopper to stop the bubbles. I thought the bubble stopper was suppose to stop the bubbles? Now there is a bubble stopper modification to stop the bubbles?? When will it stop??? Maybe a bubble stopper that attaches to the bubble stopper to stop the bubbles?? *LOL* :) ;) Its all good. At least somebody is trying to improve the bubble stopper. :)

http://blog.marinedepot.com/2015/07/stop-large-bubbles-aquamaxx-hob-1.html

Last edited:
I give up!!! These bubbles have me beat with this Aquamaxx. So I bite the bullet and purchase the so called "Bubble stopper" Does it work?? Somewhat, but still have bubble issues. Now I see this. Modify the bubble stopper to stop the bubbles. I thought the bubble stopper was suppose to stop the bubbles? Now there is a bubble stopper modification to stop the bubbles?? when will it stop??? *LOL* :)

http://blog.marinedepot.com/2015/07/stop-large-bubbles-aquamaxx-hob-1.html

It's ridiculous. Perhaps Aquamaxx will release a $30 gadget called "Bubble Stopper for your Bubble Stopper for your HOB-1".

It's put me off Aquamaxx products for the future. I've just learnt to live with the constant bubble noise/spray/aesthetics coming from my HOB-1.

Back