Aquamaxx HOB-1.5 vs Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9012 DC

AGWL

60g tank. I've been running a Reef Octo HOB BH90 skimmer for 10 months (?). When it works, it's great, but it's super finicky and I'm tired of dealing with it. (Anytime it's turned off for longer than a couple of minutes - either for cleaning or power outage or whatever - it takes days for it to stop pulling clear water and foam. It's been off now for a couple of weeks because I just don't have time to babysit it in case it overflows.)

So I'm looking to upgrade after the first of the year. Going back and forth between the Aquamaxx HOB-1.5 and the Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9012 DC.

Pros/cons for both? Or troubleshooting for this Octo?

IME, all skimmers are finicky. Mine (that I’ve had for years) drives me nuts.

I’ve found cleaning it is more likely to cause it to overflow that not cleaning it.

IME, all skimmers are finicky. Mine (that I’ve had for years) drives me nuts.

I’ve found cleaning it is more likely to cause it to overflow that not cleaning it.
Yeah, this time it's out of whack because of a short (30 minute) power outage. Pulling nothing but clear water and foam, overflowing in minutes. I'm so over it.

Did you clean the air hole for the venturi? I would turn down the water till things settle down.

I stopped using skimmers, I use tidal hang on back for mechanical and when needed chemical filtration and I don't think my tanks inhabitants have noticed a difference. This is on both a 40 breeder and 60 breeder non-drilled tanks.

I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years but my last 40 gallon breeder used the aquamax HOB and I thought it was an amazing hob skimmer. Used to pull extremely dark smelly skimate.

I've had several Aquamax skimmers. They're very efficient, pretty easy to clean and effective. One of the best without spending a fortune.

Back