aquamaxx ConeS CO 1 skimmer review

update!

Just an FYI on my attemps to run the skimmer slightly higher than the recommended water level.

I ran the skimmer through saturday at 9 3/4 inches and up'd it to 10 yesterday. I've found that the water height in sump seemed to affect the foam head negatively after a while. The foam head filled the neck but did not push to the cup efficiently (changes were observed this a.m.). The extra water height must be contributing to added pressure on the output. While I had promising intial results at the deeper 9 3/4 depth, after I lowered it back to the flange, it began skimming skimming normally. I did not put my RMB meter on it though and may do that again later. I believe now that higher may not be better for this skimmer due to the added output pressure.

I will be trying lower levels tonight and report back soon

tivo

Update!

In my opinion the skimmer is a keeper. The best operating level for me has proven to be 9 1/2 inches. I attached my rmb meter shortly after my last post and the air numbers have stabilized at right about 340lph. I had not been able to get the 360lph that the mfg states but i'll settle for the 340 since it's working great. I would say this skimmer would be ideal for systems from around 45 net gallons to about 100.
Couple pics at 5 days after the last cup cleaning. Smelly stuff for sure!
2013-06-28 18.47.42.jpg

2013-06-28 18.48.31.jpg

That's awesome. I know you said it was quiet but has it gotten even quieter after break in? Aquamaxx is winning right now!

Thanks Drae! Ya! Can't hear the skimmer at all. Truely a quiet skimmer! !!!!
Only thing I hear on my tank is the water falling over the wiers in the overflow and a little bit of hum from my dc3000 when I put my ear close to it.

Very, very nice. I really think that AquaMaxx hit it out of the park using these Sicce pumps. Funny thing, it is their standard Syncra pumps. Now if they could only get their act together and get them imported.

Would you recommend this for a heavy stocked 75g dt with 20g sump? Total volume about 90g. I plan on having 8-10 small-medium fish and mixed coral. Of course marine depot is out of stock. eta 2-4 months!

I'd would say yes but heavily stocked it may not idle much. I was told by a rep at aquamaxx that the cone 2's would be arriving to the states at the end of this month and that may be a better fit since you will have a decent fish load along with the mix of corals. I'm betting the bigger cones will be coming with the next shipment as well as the CO 1.

I know these skimmers are back ordered so for those who are interested here's the latest I've heard from aquamaxx regarding the shipment they were expecting in June. Looks like the bigger skimmers will be included but we'll have to wait and see

Hi Tivo

Thank you for your inquiry. I have sent an email to our receiving department to see if everything arrived. We were expecting the shipment to arrive at our Master Distributor at the end of June, but I haven't heard from them yet. As soon as I hear back I will let you know. The shipment was suppose to include all three skimmers.

Larry Jones
AquaMaxx Tech Support
www.aquamaxxaquariums.com
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:18 AM
To: aquamaxxinfo
Subject: ConeS CO skimmers

Any updates when the next shipment will arrive to the US? Also curious as to what models will be coming CO1 , 2, 3????

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad

Latest from aquamaxx

Hi Tivo,

OK...I heard back late yesterday. The shipment was delayed some but should be arriving early next week. On that shipment will be a limited number of the CO-1, 2 and 3's. Probably around 10 of each. From there the next scheduled shipment should be arriving early to mid August.

Thanks again for your inquiry and patience.

Larry Jones
AquaMaxx Tech Support
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: ConeS CO skimmers

Thank you

Sincerely

Tivo

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:29 AM, aquamaxxinfo <info@aquamaxxaquariums.com> wrote:

Hi Tivo,

Thank you for your inquiry. I have sent an email to our receiving department to see if everything arrived. We were expecting the shipment to arrive at our Master Distributor at the end of June, but I haven't heard from them yet. As soon as I hear back I will let you know. The shipment was suppose to include all three skimmers.

Larry Jones
AquaMaxx Tech Support
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:18 AM
Subject: ConeS CO skimmers

Any updates when the next shipment will arrive to the US? Lots of people are ready to buy here!!!!! Also curious as to what models will be coming CO1 , 2, 3????

Thanks in advance

Tivo

Sent from my iPad

Thanks for the review, I will be following this as I am also looking at the ConeS CO-2 when it is available.

No problem!

A couple employees at one of the local LFS over here are wanting a CO-1 and CO-2 for their personal systems. The guy who wanted the CO-1 was PO'd that MD ran out so quick.

I'll update as soon as I hear something.

great review

great review

a note about the pump. The intake can only be attached with the airline nipple facing up or down (no side to side) because it is notched at the pump to fit tight and snug. I found this created a fairly significant bend in the air line when routing it up to the silencer. It did not crimp though so no issue there for me.
picture.php

Thanks for the review, very helpful. So much so, that mine just arrived. Just a quick note. I noticed that the venturi fitting that the yellow hose fits on to is not glued onto the rest of the pump head (i.e., the part that has the ceramic bearing and notches is separate piece). The venturi can be removed, as well as slightly rotated so that it does not point straight up and cause the possible kinking of the hose as shown in your fig.

I bought one about a month ago for a 125gal mixed reef and am using it in conjunction with a reef dynamics bio pellet system. I am extremely happy with it and it pulls foam like no other skimmer I've ever had. I highly recommend it.

Glad to hear it's working out well for you. Mine still chugging along pulling nasty nog.

The pump is completely silent now and it has no noise from the silencer either. What I particularly like is the easy access to clean the venturi. I love the ability to just unplug, reach in quick and twist off the volute cover and pull it out. I can easily get a q-tip in there to get the salt and carbonate build up.

Tivo

I'm still debating whether to switch to this skimmer. Aquarium specialty does show them in stock. I'm not sure if it'll be undersized for my system. Unfortunately the co2 footprint is too big for my sump. I'm torn. Might hold off considering I lost all but one fish due to ich. Leaving tank fallow for 12 weeks.

Back