skimmer vs skimmer

asmodeus

SKIMMER WHORE
Premium Member
folks looking at pulling a trigger on a skimmer and I am stumped imagine me skimmer king the man who owned ever skimmer is stuck. but thank God I have my reef central clan fam to help and give their opinions to me
60 gal corner tank drilled with a 50 gal sump will run for live stock
1 yellow tang
2 clowns
blenny
angel flame or a coral B
star fish
snails cucumber
a couple leathers
1 or 2 lps
zoas polyops

first one is
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite Protein Skimmer w/ Sicce SK-200
rated for 130 gallons
Bubble-Magus-Curve-9-Elite-Protein-Skimmer-with-Sicce-PSK-1200-99_02a3acbd-d528-4ef5-8637-4a439a51f6f2_220x403.jpg

Coral Box D300 Plus DC Skimmer - 90Gals
Coral-Box-skimmer-canada-ma_0cb05916-0891-4940-bccd-88774c2b5a28_760x868.jpg

Bubble Magus Curve 5 Cone Skimmer 140 gal
bubble-magus-curve5_396x593.jpg

Now I know that some are rated more than others i never look at that for a few reasons the type off skimmer isn't always spot on unless you are buying BKs
DELTECS
huge power Becketts for 1000's of gals

price sometimes will show you that a 250dollar skimmer can out preform a 500-dollar skimmer its due to the pump and the main chamber and allowing how mu h air to pull without coughing up.

so please if you have these skimmers and are using them, please tell me what and why these are a good investment

folks looking at pulling a trigger on a skimmer and I am stumped imagine me skimmer king the man who owned ever skimmer is stuck. but thank God I have my reef central clan fam to help and give their opinions to me
60 gal corner tank drilled with a 50 gal sump will run for live stock
1 yellow tang
2 clowns
blenny
angel flame or a coral B
star fish
snails cucumber
a couple leathers
1 or 2 lps
zoas polyops

first one is
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite Protein Skimmer w/ Sicce SK-200
rated for 130 gallons
Bubble-Magus-Curve-9-Elite-Protein-Skimmer-with-Sicce-PSK-1200-99_02a3acbd-d528-4ef5-8637-4a439a51f6f2_220x403.jpg

Coral Box D300 Plus DC Skimmer - 90Gals
Coral-Box-skimmer-canada-ma_0cb05916-0891-4940-bccd-88774c2b5a28_760x868.jpg

Bubble Magus Curve 5 Cone Skimmer 140 gal
bubble-magus-curve5_396x593.jpg

Now I know that some are rated more than others i never look at that for a few reasons the type off skimmer isn't always spot on unless you are buying BKs
DELTECS
huge power Becketts for 1000's of gals

price sometimes will show you that a 250dollar skimmer can out preform a 500-dollar skimmer its due to the pump and the main chamber and allowing how mu h air to pull without coughing up.

so please if you have these skimmers and are using them, please tell me what and why these are a good investment
I think they're all somewhat oversized for what you are going to do so you need the DC pump for controllability. That eliminates both curve 5's.

Take a look @ the Simplicity 120
BECAUSE-- I'm in the boat with you & have landed there so far.
Even this could be too big for you depending on stocking levels.
thanks vinny looks like a good skimmer not to expensive sometimes the cheaper ones will haul ass in the skim mate dept

Take a look @ the Simplicity 120
BECAUSE-- I'm in the boat with you & have landed there so far.
Even this could be too big for you depending on stocking levels.
hey vinny i did some reading and its not a good skimmer man. pumps calving out and sticking

The older models or the new DC pump?
i am looking at the Coral box D300 with the DC pump having that little extra to push the main tank is 60 gal but you can stock some good levels in the tank with a 60 gal. if i run a 30 gal then i think this skimmer should work for me

However, the Bubble magus Curve 3.5 looks like probably the better one that does up to 80 gals. however, i would like to have that foot print to pull more skimmer mate out since the tank is 54 gal and the sump is 30 gal this might be the ticket maybe 80 gallons total

Eshopps guy eh are they good Griss,
Not bad, but honestly, I donā€™t have much to compare them to. Iā€™ve had this eShopps for a billion years (okay, probably around 15). My previous skimmer was a Geo Dual Beckett skimmer for a 450 gallon tank. This eShopps, rated for 125 gallons, did a good job on my previous 92 and currently on my 40.

Everyone has a favourite. Modern skimmers all look exactly the same to me. For every skimmer someone raves about, there's somone who can't get it to do anything and hates it. I'm still using a SWC 120 cone that skims fine but it took some fiddling (add an air valve, lots of water depth experimenting). My favourite skimmer ever (as in do nothing but plug it in and it works) was a Kent nautilus EX that I ran externally. People hated that skimmer with a passion. The hobby was moving to large neck skimmers and I got swept along with the hype and sold the Nautilus. If you have a skimmer that's pumping out steady nog just keep it.

My favorite set if and forget it skimmer was an Oceanic #4 Venturi skimmer. Sold that a long time ago. But, I picked up a #6 on evilbay about a year ago for $25. I plan to use that when I upgrade to the 75.

My favorite set if and forget it skimmer was an Oceanic #4 Venturi skimmer. Sold that a long time ago. But, I picked up a #6 on evilbay about a year ago for $25. I plan to use that when I upgrade to the 75.
That's hilarious. My #2 was an Oceanic that a buddy lent me on my very first tank. I actually had written it in my post but then deleted it out before postiing. All I know was it was grey and about 8" diameter with a short little neck on it that had a grill that looked like egg-crate as part of the molding. Venturi that I ran with a rio 1700. Skimmed like a beast with nothing to adjust.

Wow, there it is although I don't remember such a tall collection cup. It was 35 years ago after all.. Mine never had a pump, the rio was just what I had kicking around.
I remember when that skimmer line hit the market. It was THE skimmer to havešŸ˜‚

When I set up the 75 with an Icecap 36XL sump, Iā€™m going to use both skimmersā€¦the eShopps and Oceanic.

Last edited:
What is sad, is that the Reef Dynamics is no longer made or available. I have them on both my 90g and 150g, and they are work horses. I have spares if they ever have issues, but in 10 years, I have seen none.

Back