Aquarium maintenance companies

DEadsCSU

What's a reasonable rate for a once per month Aquarium maintenance service on a 150 gallon tank? Both and hourly rate and per month rate.

Anyone here hire a local aquarium maintenance company to come in occasionally as a consultant? I'm thinking about doing just that to get my new tank started on the right foot and prevent as many issues as possible.

Any experience or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thx!

Consultation is free here.. :)

Depending on your plans for your tank the maintenance on a 150G can be very minimal..
And the learning and doing it yourself is just part of the fun of this hobby IMO.

I would hope it wouldn't cost more than $100 a month for service on a tank like that.. But I'm probably too optimistic there and really the price could again depend on the tank/equipment/specific needs..

I used to take care of tanks for a living while working at a coral farm. We charged $70 a visit plus tax and would go to a clients house every 2 weeks for around an hour usually give or take depending on what was going on with each system. Salt , ESV, and anything else you would need would be added onto the bill. Service would include all the normal things that you would think of like testing parameters, cleaning glass inside and out, cleaning skimmer, and placing/ moving corals as needed along with a 40 gallon water change each visit. The size of the customers tank didn't matter as far as the $70 rate went, you must understand that no matter how many gallons the system was the owner was still paying me to drive over plus gas and insurance as well. Hope this helps. Fwiw I think we were always on the low side. I wouldn't be surprised if places charged $100 a visit nowadays

Consultation is free here.. :)

Depending on your plans for your tank the maintenance on a 150G can be very minimal..
And the learning and doing it yourself is just part of the fun of this hobby IMO.

I would hope it wouldn't cost more than $100 a month for service on a tank like that.. But I'm probably too optimistic there and really the price could again depend on the tank/equipment/specific needs..

The learning is great, but the maintenance time is my limiting factor. Probably a good idea to have them come out a few times until I'm totally comfortable with my knowledge.

I'm sure it depends on your local market, what's in the tank and what you want done. A fish only setup would be cheaper than an SPS. I think most companies would rather have an established clientele rather than coming out once in a while. So I imagine that would cost a premium as well.

I am not sure what they charge here but there are several people who do it.. I would assume they have a Min Service charge and a Hourly rate..

For my Business when i do Hourly rate Calls.. I charge 125.00 for the first hour,60.00 a hour for the second,50 for 3rd hour up to 8 hours then back to 60.00 a hour.This incurrages Customers to keep us on site for the day.
You have to figure wear and tear on tools , Van , Insurance ,Taxes , Employee benefits and so on or you might as well work for a Company if your only making wages.

I would expect liability insurance for aquarium maintenance company would not be anywhere near as much as mine . but this is only a guess

One problem is that there's no license and anybody can hang out a shingle. Ask for references. There are many good services, however: sainthood goes to those who provide reasonable service to persons who could in no wise maintain a tank but for whom that is a slice of nature in their lives. We have a relative who has a maintenance guy that goes above and beyond.

Each visit you should receive a piece of paper with your parameters on it before the maintenance and after the maintenance, along with everything that was done. I wouldn't even consider a company that doesn't provide this.

Each visit you should receive a piece of paper with your parameters on it before the maintenance and after the maintenance, along with everything that was done. I wouldn't even consider a company that doesn't provide this.

That's a great nugget of info. I'll certainly use this as a screening tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back