Aquastyleonline.com LED questions.

Yeah this has turned out to be a pretty informative thread on aquastyleonline.com led kits. Thanks for everybodies input.

What are xP-e LEDs & how many whites and blues should I get ? Also see they have a premium white n blue as well.
No idea on optics or type of heat sinks or drivers I'll need. Fml

more info on your tank? what's the dimensions? what do you plan to keep?
lps, sps,softies?

Looking for advice on a dimmable kit that will be device controlled on a 72 gallon Bow Front. I have fried my brain reading through all these posts. Any recommendations for the number of LEDS, spacing and lens angle and layout? Tank will be growing a bit of everything.

I'm also looking for some help on ordering some LED's. I have a 240 gallon tank, 8ft long, 25 tall and 24 deep. Might have a couple SPS in there but mainly not. I was figuring 2 90 kits since the tank is so long, 1 90 for each half with 80 optics to get deeper in the tank. And which drivers to go with? I was thinking 41 white, 41 blue, 4 red and 4 UV(per half). Maybe change the white and blue around abit, couple extra blues than whites. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Looking for advice on a dimmable kit that will be device controlled on a 72 gallon Bow Front. I have fried my brain reading through all these posts. Any recommendations for the number of LEDS, spacing and lens angle and layout? Tank will be growing a bit of everything.

if by device controlled you mean a controller like apex, etc or typhoon, then these are not for you, they can only be dimmed by an analog source.
(pots) you would need to get your leds ordered seperately and then your drivers, mostlikely meanwwells or inventronics. as for how many over your tank, i would say 48 -60 depending on how you lay it out, and your optic choice.

I'm also looking for some help on ordering some LED's. I have a 240 gallon tank, 8ft long, 25 tall and 24 deep. Might have a couple SPS in there but mainly not. I was figuring 2 90 kits since the tank is so long, 1 90 for each half with 80 optics to get deeper in the tank. And which drivers to go with? I was thinking 41 white, 41 blue, 4 red and 4 UV(per half). Maybe change the white and blue around abit, couple extra blues than whites. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

the two 90 kits sound good, i would keep the maxwellen drivers as you can drive 18 leds on it. what i would do is use c-channels with 18 leds on each.
this will give you total control of how you light your tank and you can set each string to come on at diff times. with 2 kits thats 10 channels with 18 leds on each. the channels will be 4 ft each, or even 3ft each. what i like about using channels is that they are super light. as long as you don't mount the drivers on top of them.
source for channels:
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2531-8348-1-14-x-1-14-x-18-channel-6063-t52-aluminum-extruded.aspx

Good luck!

if by device controlled you mean a controller like apex, etc or typhoon, then these are not for you, they can only be dimmed by an analog source.
(pots) you would need to get your leds ordered seperately and then your drivers, mostlikely meanwwells or inventronics. as for how many over your tank, i would say 48 -60 depending on how you lay it out, and your optic choice.

thanks, I'll check out this info.

the two 90 kits sound good, i would keep the maxwellen drivers as you can drive 18 leds on it. what i would do is use c-channels with 18 leds on each.
this will give you total control of how you light your tank and you can set each string to come on at diff times. with 2 kits thats 10 channels with 18 leds on each. the channels will be 4 ft each, or even 3ft each. what i like about using channels is that they are super light. as long as you don't mount the drivers on top of them.
source for channels:
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2531-8348-1-14-x-1-14-x-18-channel-6063-t52-aluminum-extruded.aspx

Good luck!

I have a small room next to my tank where i was gonna mount the drivers. The only thing in there now are the ballasts for the MH lights. Thanks for the help and the website info.

I decided to also order a kit from them bust after reading I think I might change the colors a bit. How would it look if I got the 72 kit and the larger heatsinks one for each side of my 75. The total would be 40RB, 8 6500K, and 24 10000K. Ill attach a sketch I did of the layout and please tell me what you think. I have 250x Phoenix 14ks now and would like a little more blue then that.

I would run 20RB one driver and the 12 10000K and 4 6500K on the other driver per heatsink.

Also, would it be beneficial to run 60 optics for most and 80's on the 6500K to give them a little more spread?

photo-24.jpg

So after reading this thread I also took the plunge for my 175 Bowfront. I ordered 108 (54 Royal blue & 54 10k White) leds with 80 optics and 6 dimmable drivers. I also picked up a bunch of 1" U channel for the build. I will be making 3 separate units, due to tank braces of 36 leds each. My question is can I use just one potentiometer (linking 3 drivers to each) to adjust each color or will I need to use 6 different ones. Also, I understand these kits do not require a 10v power source, is that correct? Thanks

I am not sure about driving multiple drivers on one pot, always wondered that but to chicken to try. You are correct the pots do not require an additional power source.
If you get a project box from radio shack, you can house the pots in there.
I run my leds at full blast. The only downside to the maxwellen drivers i see is that it sucks dimming, one turn cuts it to about 1/2 power.

I made a video of my tank, little long but it shows my led setup.
72 led kit from aquastyle and 6 xpg cree .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBJOstKn2N4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I redid my par test and the numbers did not change. Not sure why, but i get 200 on the bottom and in the mid section of the tank, as i bring the meter closer to the leds, i would expect high numbers but thats not the case. I think my spacing is the issue, i may also add 80 degree optics to the xpg's. Keep in mind the tank dims are 60x30x29.
I know my corals will be fine, i just want a little more par, say 300 for light hungry acro's.
I most likely should have went with 2 90 led kits from aquastyle.
Othet than that, i am loving these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to here you had problems with those connectors. I love them.
I like those connectors too...very easy to use...wished I had had some more myself but the wire caps and electrical tape were far less bulky...

One of the drawbacks of the Maxwellen driver is the analog dimming. I did a presentation on my Aquastyle build at a recent reef hobbyist meeting. Some one mentioned there as a device you could get that takes the VDC output from a controller and converts it to analog to replace the rheostat? Anybody seen anything like this?

Back