Are Closed Loop Systems Obsolete

Thinking about doing a closed loop and making a Gyre with Eductors. Just one intake and two or three outputs from one side of the tank on an 8 foot tank blasting across the top. In 10 years, I have been through many expensive power heads that I can laugh about saving money for less electricity use.

All the while... the reeflo Marlin that powers my tank is now running for 10 years. I have pulled it out three times to pull snails out of the impeller, other than that, it has needed no maintenance.

Just setup a 120 cube with a closed loop last year. I use an ocean's motions on it to create random flow in the tank. I hate equipment in the tank and will do everything I can to keep from putting power heads in it. I have 5 pipes on the back wall and when I feed, you can see the food flow all over the tank.

Does it take more time and planning to setup? Sure.

At some point I'll replace the pump with a DC one. Then I will play with adjusting water speed with the OM to really make interesting flows.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

They still serve a purpose.
I have a 145"x 32 x43 860g tank. Gyres/crossflows/jebaos plus 2 sp6 returns do my flow. However a closed loop would have been a lil more beneficial for the middle area of my tank. I can't have the power gears in the middle cuz my plywood is 1" thick plus all the coats of paint. So no power head can fit on the back wall.
Everything is on sidewalls, which a couple are hidden well, but still noticeable. A closed loop would have eliminated some need for a few of these

I think it depends on your system size and your requirements. I don't think it's really any different than it has been, except more people are falling for snazzy marketing around prop-based powerheads. They're really great in the right system, for sure. But in other systems, with other goals, closed loops make a lot more sense IME.

On my 360g, I had a closed loop with a pump that had a 1/2 hp three phase motor and a variable frequency drive that was run from an arduino-based controller. I got all the controllability of a contollable prop pump, but the power, reliability, and clean install of a closed loop. It was effectively invisible, versus the many gigantic ugly slotted black eggshaped powerheads I would have needed to get the same power. Even on half speed, it basically made that 4' x 6' tank look like it was boiling. It was dead reliable and rebuildable with industrial-quality components that were designed to operate for years in harsh environments, and there was real customer service available for all of the components, not a hobby-grade help line. If I was going to do another system like that, I would do the same style of closed loop, without question.

Meanwhile, the nano I just set up has a Jebao prop pump on the back wall where it can be kinda-hidden by the overflow. It works great and I really appreciate the simplicity and control. If the pump dies, no big deal. If I need to pull it and clean it once in a while, no big deal. If I did another nano, I would use the same approach, without question.

I get the point of this thread and marketing materials have really promoted the great features in prop pumps these days, but IMHO that doesn't really change anything. Even 10 or 15 years ago, you could choose between a closed loop or a controllable prop pump (Tunze), and closed loops weren't obsolete then. I don't see how they would be now. The prop pumps are cheaper and available from a wider range of vendors but really, not much else has changed.

I think it depends on your system size and your requirements. I don't think it's really any different than it has been, except more people are falling for snazzy marketing around prop-based powerheads. They're really great in the right system, for sure. But in other systems, with other goals, closed loops make a lot more sense IME.

On my 360g, I had a closed loop with a pump that had a 1/2 hp three phase motor and a variable frequency drive that was run from an arduino-based controller. I got all the controllability of a contollable prop pump, but the power, reliability, and clean install of a closed loop. It was effectively invisible, versus the many gigantic ugly slotted black eggshaped powerheads I would have needed to get the same power. Even on half speed, it basically made that 4' x 6' tank look like it was boiling. It was dead reliable and rebuildable with industrial-quality components that were designed to operate for years in harsh environments, and there was real customer service available for all of the components, not a hobby-grade help line. If I was going to do another system like that, I would do the same style of closed loop, without question.

Meanwhile, the nano I just set up has a Jebao prop pump on the back wall where it can be kinda-hidden by the overflow. It works great and I really appreciate the simplicity and control. If the pump dies, no big deal. If I need to pull it and clean it once in a while, no big deal. If I did another nano, I would use the same approach, without question.

I get the point of this thread and marketing materials have really promoted the great features in prop pumps these days, but IMHO that doesn't really change anything. Even 10 or 15 years ago, you could choose between a closed loop or a controllable prop pump (Tunze), and closed loops weren't obsolete then. I don't see how they would be now. The prop pumps are cheaper and available from a wider range of vendors but really, not much else has changed.

der wille... do you have information on the 3 phase motor and controller that you used?

I bought a wet end from Reeflo directly and put it on a 3 phase Baldor motor I got on ebay. I said 1/2 hp above but now that I think for a minute it may have been 3/4. The vfd was a Teco FM50. Total cost was maybe $350 and I had a controllable closed loop that was strong enough that it would put a firehose to shame. The FM50 takes 120vac single phase input so you can run it off your normal home wiring. It's worth noting that the motor was fairly loud, but hell, you kind of have to expect that with this kind of power. The whole thing was plumbed through 2" pvc.

I actually still have the whole rig. I tried to sell it when I tore the tank down but there was no interest. Unfortunately it ended up in a bin in my damp basement so I don't know if it works anymore.

personally i hate looking at circulation pumps. im doing closed loop in my new 220 build s
and i can hide the nozzles

Closed loops really come in handy with large tanks when trying to move water the entire length of said tank. Personally I think every tank over 4-500g should have at least one closed loop

Back