Are there any tangs found in same area as anemone and clowns?

My favorite for rock clean up is the Tuxedo Urchin. The only negative, they do eat all algaes, including coralline. So you will be left with bare rock tracks. 3-4 in a 120 would probably do well.

A yellow tang would look great with those colors, is readily available, and though commonly seen, fat healthy ones aren't nearly as common as we'd all like. With that much macro algae...the buffet would be open!

Funny, I like the look with the algae on the rock.

Thanks everyone. I am going to consider the fish mentioned here and over time, I hope to be confident in what I end up getting.

Thanks again, Happy Thanksgiving!

The bristletooth tangs are not going to touch that stuff, best suggestion yet is the rabbit fish IMO, yellow or purple t would work too, There is always a risk of the fish being eaten though.

The bristletooth tangs are not going to touch that stuff, best suggestion yet is the rabbit fish IMO

I totally agree, the hippo probably isn't going to eat much macro either. I have a fiji foxface and a mimic tang and these are my two best macro eaters but all of the Zebrasoma will do a good job as well.

sugartooth- those anemones are gorgeous!

Thank you very much for the advice everyone. I am still thinking about it and have seeded the upgrade with different macro. If these 'take' then it might make maintenance a bit easier as these come out nicely in clumps without the frizzy look.

If all else fails, I am still considering a zebrasoma. I currently have a scopas in another tank so maybe I can use it if needed.

PNG rock from local LFS:

4488475750_2de7df8d4a_b.jpg

In the tank:

4487807437_0230cde80e_b.jpg

4488456506_87dce66da0_b.jpg

4488456282_2eac3eedcb_b.jpg

I hope the giganteas 'fill in' the empty spots.

In that size tank and with nothing else to share it with but two clowns you could really put almost any tank in there and it will be find.

I would go suggest both the Yellow Eyed Kole and the Powder Blue/Powder Brown. Both are amazing fish and I have kept both successfully in tanks half that size.

Some will tell you that you need a 6" tank for tangs but considering that they will literally have free range of the entire cube you shouldn't have an problems.

While the dimensions aren't mentioned, the fact that it's a cube and only 150 gallons means it will be too small for most tangs, let alone 'almost any tang and it will be fine'. With your advice, some people might go out and buy a naso, sohal, unicorn, vlamingii, clown, achilles, powder blue etc. And to say you've successfully kept powder blues/browns in tanks half this size is just really REALLY bad advice. Again, someone not knowing better might see your one comment and go out and try it. Powder blues/browns, achilles etc aren't for beginners, aren't for newly set up aquaria, and aren't for little tanks. Sorry. Free range of an entire cube isn't the same as a 6' tank either.

And because you don't necessarily WANT a tang, then skip them. If you're looking for something specifically to take care of your algae, you've gotten tons of suggestions above.

HTH

A yellow tang would look great with those colors, is readily available, and though commonly seen, fat healthy ones aren't nearly as common as we'd all like. With that much macro algae...the buffet would be open!

Funny, I like the look with the algae on the rock.

x2

I also like the Foxface idea. Tux urchins would be a good option, too.

May I ask why you seed your tanks with macro-algae?

If you do, try Caulerpa Racemosa (the grape stuff) as many tangs eat it. I used to have loads but it got out-competed in my fuge by some other natural Caulerpa that hitch-hiked but that still gets eaten too and is easy to remove.

That red turf algae is tough stuff but something eats it as I used to have some but not any more.

Tampa: Thanks for your input. I don't necessarily want a tang because I know the dimensions are small. I also know there is a chance it will get eaten, so I would like it to be something that I think through. If I don't need one in there, then I won't bother.

Gary: Thanks also. Foxface was my second choice since I have small one in another tank. I was under the impression that urchins and such may also potentially damage underside of anemones. If not the case, then I would love to explore that option.

NexDog: I'm not really sure I can give a clear answer. I love macro, and different kinds of it because there is so much life that uses it. I know that's what a fuge is for, but I think the more I have in the tank, the more 'critters' run around feeding my nems. Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't like the racemosa because of the way it grows so tightly around the rocks it makes it hard to prune. I did like that red algae because it comes out in clumps, but the look was just a tad too fuzzy.

Back