Are you prepared for emergencies?

I'm new to the scuba scene, and I am beginning to worry about the open water diving (or lack there of) and was wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go for more info. I've read all of this thread and would like to know what other things are recommended and more about the "charts". Thanks!

Probably worth starting a new thread for that discussion, and telling us what training and experience you currently have so that we have a starting point ;)

As sombody who is intrested in egtting into Scuba as a hobby I find this thread is a great read with invaluable personal experiances! Keep it up...

Only if your mask comes off. But you are much better off with a facemask with your prescription lenz ground into the glass. You can have these made.

The lens may float away and it may be hard to find in the Atlantic ocean.
Otherwise, it is not a problem at all.

I see. I dive alot but just pool diving as im in co and the lakes are to cold now. I just started using them and have not taken my mask off under water yet with them in.

Many times when you dive your mask may come off. I had mine removed by fish a few times especially if you dive at night. If you spook a big fish their tail can take it off. If you dive on wrecks it could come off on many of the cables or fishing nets.
It could also get kicked off by your dive partner.
In a pool or lake it should not be a problem but if your maks does come off don't open your eyes wide.

Great topic going here. I am a newly certified diver but our instructor was tough on us in emergency situations. I actually asked for extra dives with my 10 year old to make sure we are safe in an emergency situation. I hope we fare out ok if it ever happens. Great topic guys

Many times when you dive your mask may come off. I had mine removed by fish a few times especially if you dive at night. If you spook a big fish their tail can take it off. If you dive on wrecks it could come off on many of the cables or fishing nets.
It could also get kicked off by your dive partner.
In a pool or lake it should not be a problem but if your maks does come off don't open your eyes wide.

I highly recommend that you practice taking your mask off and putting it back on, flooding and purging your mask when you dive. It's also a good idea to test your octo regularly as well to make sure that it is working. The last thing your buddy needs is for him or her to rely on your octo only to find out that it's not working. I usually go through this routine on the first leg of my dive as soon as I submerge to the bottom where I can stand on a sandy bottom.

Tech Diver, this a good refresher/reminder and vital to all new divers. My wife and I work in anesthesia so diving is akin to anesthetizing a patient. Like an airline pilot, we have a check list we utilize every time. This translated to diving easily for us as we go through a list the same way every time. Due diligence, vigilance, and following the rules we all learn at the beginning are what keep us safe and reduce the risk of preventable injuries.

This is an AWESOME thread! Scary but thats a good thing, I think.
I have a couple questions for all of you experts:

Regarding sleepiness after a dive/snuba.
Ive done like 6 discover scuba dives (kinda pointless to have not just done cert. I know) and 3 snuba dives mainly the Caribbean and most recently in Cabo. Ive read and read and can not find any information on why I get completely exhausted after a dive.... and I don't mean take a nap tired, I mean SLEEP hard for 8-10 hours. About an hour after a few of these trips I can't keep my eyes open and I just have to sleep waking up HOURS later and still feeling groggy. This happened recently on a Cruise to Cabo, just last month. I thought maybe it was just me, or maybe it was the cold water, maybe some reaction to the air but I took three buddies (only one of which, has ever had a regulator in his mouth) to do snuba and we all were literally comatose afterwards. Do places like Mexico, and such use a different mix, or???? I don't remember having this problem during several dives in Catalina, or Hawaii but I distinctly remember it in Belize and Cabo and I think in the bahamas. Is snuba air different?

I would blame it on the thrashing around, that newb divers often do, but I am VERY comfortable, kinda feels "right" when I am under the water. I don't swim with my hands, am very calm even after seeing a 9ft tiger cruise right by me in Hawaii lol. Actually in Cabo I was doing a better job than the dive instructor of keeping an eye on my buddies and OK-ing them every 30 seconds, and it was only snuba.

After all of the trips to the Caribbean from AZ, my boyfriend and I have decided to move to the USVI. We are going for a month starting in just a few days, for our pre move visit. Originally I wanted to get certified while we are there, but after reading on the comprehensiveness of some places I am a bit worried. I don't want a crash course and then tossed in the water lol. I think I am a leg up with being so comfortable breathing underwater but I need the skills/training now.

My boyfriend is MUCH less comfortable under the waves than I am, he flails and sucks down air like crazy for at least the first 5 min. Once he chills out: which usually requiers me grabbing his face looking into his mask and giving him a sort of "calm down" hand movement lol, he is fine.

I just hope that we get the training that we need/deserve.

Last edited:
They should be using plain old well filtered air. With sort of exhaustion affecting several people I'd be suspicious of contaminated air. If it was just you, more likely to be just not used to the level of exertion and being geniunely worn out...also possible mild DCS hit (aka the bends) could cause those symptoms. Though I wouldn't expect your getting deep enough on SNUBA to make DCS very likely.

Let me guess, the compressor for the SNUBA was powered by a gas engine. I'd definitely wager on engine exhaust making it's way into the compressor supplying your breathing air from either from the compressors engine or the boat engine :(

I used to work here http://www.fisheyeguam.com/e_home.php and would sometimes do up to ten 25-30 minute dives at ~20 ft. My boss would always tell me it's not enough to need decomp time but man I used to always feel like crap. I started there when I was 15, under the table then off and on until I joined the AF.

I hit submit too soon:

I guess the end point was that I wasn't prepared. I was diving alone, the closest decomp chamber was only about a 15 min drive away but it would have been useless since I had no dive buddy. As far as surface support, there was an attendant/guide for the observatory but most of the time it was an older Japanese lady who read when the tour groups weren't going on. Scariest moment was I was down scrubbing the windows and an earthquake happened.

It's also a good idea to test your octo regularly as well to make sure that it is working. The last thing your buddy needs is for him or her to rely on your octo only to find out that it's not working.

If I dive with strangers I always bring down with me my checkbook and a pen. Just in case my octo fails and I have to offer a large sum of money to buddy breathe.

Here I am asking for a pen.

Back