ASM G3 Purchase Question

danjen10

I am about to order a new skimmer and I have heard that the ASM G3 is a good value. It's for a mixed reef - mostly SPS. 125g with a 30g sump.

I have had a coralife SS125 for years not. It's worked but as many say ... not the best.

For anyone that has a ASM G3? Will I notice a difference and is this a sensible upgrade? Any watchouts. Would you do something different ..

Thanks for any advice / thoughts or recommendations..

Dan

I have the G2 myself and like it so far. It is way less touchy than the SS220 that I had prior and will produce a very dry thick foam, way nastier than the SS220 ever did even when set as perfect as I could get it.

I've had the G3 and the MSX 200, the 200 is much better IMO. The quality of acrylic is better, the pump uses less electricity, i get better performance out of the 200 and it's easier to adjust.

MSX 200 extreme power by Sicce pump and those pump has a lot of problem of starting up due to the modified pinwheel/meshwheel that is too big and the motor can not over turn the impeller to start it up.
ASM G3 power by the popular high demand sedra 5000 will outlast the sicce 2500 in the long run.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15425687#post15425687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lth03
MSX 200 extreme power by Sicce pump and those pump has a lot of problem of starting up due to the modified pinwheel/meshwheel that is too big and the motor can not over turn the impeller to start it up.
ASM G3 power by the popular high demand sedra 5000 will outlast the sicce 2500 in the long run.
I've been using the MSX 200 with the stock pinwheel for several month and never had an issue. It;s true that they do have startup issues with the mesh, but I find the stock pinwheel gives much better performance than the sedra 5000 did. The sedra also cracked the housing in the 2 years I had it and ran much hotter. I also had to clean the sedra impellar every couple months or it would not start up.

I have owned all three. The CSS skimmer was a total piece of crap. The G3 made the CSS 220 look like a toy. I now own an MSX 200. The MSX 200 is heads and tails above the G3 in every dept. Better quality, better performance, Cost Less. Get the MSX 200 !!!

Where did you all get your MSX from? I looked them up and something I saw said that the SWC Extreme 200 was the same exact skimmer and that the MSX was a re-package of the SWC.

SWC was at saltwaterconnection.com.

Thanks for all the input.

Dan

Excellent Skimmer

Excellent Skimmer

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up buying the Octopus Extreme 200 (same as the MSX and SWC).

So far, seems like a great purchase. Excellent construction and seems to be high quality. I also bought the purple pin wheel.

Dan

Octopus Extreme 200 - pH Increase :)

Octopus Extreme 200 - pH Increase :)

Changing out the skimmer had an additional positive benefit. My pH had been ranging from 7.88 - 8.1 with the Coralife SS 125.

When I installed the new skimmer, it increased. I guess some of that CO2 in solution was getting blown off.

Anyway, day and night, i'm now between 8.1 and 8.25.

I consider this a great side benefit!

Again - skimmer is working awesome. Don't forget the purple pin wheel if you get this skimmer.

Dan

Back