At what point are center braces needed?

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
So I took a look at this thread - DIY Stands Template and Calculator and I see the horizontal brace. I didn’t have time to read the entire thread, but it seems there’s no mention of a vertical center brace. Does anyone know at what width a vertical center brace would be needed?

I ask cause I’m planning an well into the future upgrade (custom build around 135 gallons - 48x36x18) and would like to be vertical center brace free (my current center brace on my 65 is consistently in the way). Anyone think this will work or a disaster waiting to happen?

zQriPL7.jpg

Thanks! Oh that looks nice. How wide did you make that? I think I may have over looked that

It was 48 1/4inch wide. The deep blue tanks have a frame on the bottom. I skined with 3/8 inch oak plywood to cover the frame.There are two 2 x 4's on each cormer. They are notched to have the top and bottom sitting "in" the verticals. Then 3/4 inch oak plywood on the top and bottom. That thing could hold a tank.

It depends on allot of things. To many to figure in.
Length of the run. 2' tank may need nothing but a 6 foot may.
Height of the tank. Height of tank increase the weight per square foot by allot.
Size of your horizontal member's. Longer runs have more for the need increase the size of them. increasing the size may make it not needed.
If you top the stand or not.
How you skin it. Skinning can actually carry allot of weight if done right. I have seen tanks where there are no vertical supports at all and just the plywood carries all the weight. If joined correctly it can be done.

To me longer runs need some support either through vertical members or skinning. Rimmed tanks it aint so bad but rimless require it more because they cant handle much bowing at all. Lumber will bow that is life you need some support on longer runs.

I wish I could find the thread on RC that someone built a stand just out of plywood and it was great.

This is one I built but it does have braces but it could hold a truck. I so over built it to the point it was stupid. I know so much more now.

Can be hard not to add supports in the front because it makes it easier to attach doors.

20150907_142306_HDR.jpg

My latest build I went with aluminum:
this is about 7.5 feet so went with a brace.
20210719_170758.jpg

Last edited:
In addition to the above, if an acrylic tank is used it will be more prone to flexing over time than glass so I would either use 2x6 rails and center rails and plywood to support the bottom of the tank or vertical supports every 24" - 30".

Back