ATI Bubble Master Skimmer?

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm also looking at the MSX cone skimmers. Any suggestions?

Which version? How large is your system?
I just picked up a used MSX2S and after a week am very pleased with the performance gain over my old Euro Reef RS 8-3. Not really a fair comparison but the cone is easily capable of producing 2X the skimmate yeild of the ER.
The biggest drawback to this skimmer is the Sicce pump, don't get me wrong, they are probably the best skimmer pump available in its size but they can be really finicky and as you know suffer from re-start problems. I'm very used to running these pumps so I already knew what I was up against. You can de-tune them with a pin wheel but the performance suffers a good bit.
The MSX1A is a totally different beast. A single Askol that is slightly throttled down so as not to overpower the body. This skimmer and my 2S are just about equal in performance according to the folks at MSX.
Pluses in my book for the 1A, single silent no hassle pump
Pluses on the 2S, performance match of the 1A with just over half the power consumption. Reasonably small size footprint for a large skimmer. I'm also reading where the Askoll pumps run hot so it may possibly contribute more heat to the system. This is just my thought and not verified by any means.
One negative someone else already mentioned and it pertains to all of the older MSX skimmers( IDK about the new release 250/300A) is the cup removal. I've never liked this system but am spoiled by my 1/4 turn ER skimmer so its easy for me to be judgemental.

After shutting off the skimmer for feeding this morning the pump won't restart but I had to run out. Is this restart going to be an ongoing issue? Anything I can do to resolve this besides not shutting off the pump during feeding? I hope all I need to do is take the pump out and move the shaft a bit to kick start it again.

Thanks for any help here.

It is most likely going to be a continued issue as mesh and sicce's are known for not starting. When i ran meshed sicce's i never shut down the skimmer, only a power outage would turn it off.

It is most likely going to be a continued issue as mesh and sicce's are known for not starting. When i ran meshed sicce's i never shut down the skimmer, only a power outage would turn it off.

Thanks for the info. Any quick way to restart it or just have to take it apart?

Thanks!

If you can manually open up the volute intake just a pinch it may fire up, or try to twist the motorblock while its plugged in. If it starts to kick on blow in the venturi tube. If that doesn't work i'd suggest painting your face and doing a rain dance then try an hour later....this always worked for me : ) But seriously they can be a major pain. But if its clicking like its trying to fire up, just blow in the tube. If not and it just sits there try the other two moves.

Thanks. The sad part is the pump on the Tunze DOC 9010 stopped last week and I still didn't get around to that one yet but now i might as well work on both. When crap happen it sure come in bunches. :mad2:

I have a BM250 on my 210 and it is an awesome skimmer. Mine has the original mesh wheel pumps and sometimes when they restart they will make a rattling noise and do not start back up again properly. I find that if I push down on the top of the pump body a little bit they will usually start right up again (it's a tough angle for me to blow into the air line, but this seems to work well for others.) Once they start they run just fine for me though. I just have to check em if I kill the power for cleaning, etc.

Need Help!

Need Help!

I took the pump apart and got it to restart but it was barely pushing water out. Plug and unplug the whole unit and cleaned it inside out and still the same. The pump starts but not able to push water out. I remember hearing a vibration about 4-5 days ago but wasn't that loud so I didn't pay much attention to it. I'm pretty sure the pump is shot. Where can I buy a replacement pump (PSK 2500) that comes with the mesh? I'm going to bring it down to the lfs see if they can fix it but I need another pump.

Thanks for any help!

contact reefgeek, i contacted marine solutions about this and never got an email back, if i remember correctly, the price for 1 pump from reefgeek was about 150. I never got around to replacing the pumps on the BM250

You should run the skimmer with a pw so that doesn't happen again. this will give you no start up problems and nearly the same air pull anyhow.

Thanks for the quick replies and info. Does anyone know when I can get the pump with pw cheap or alternative pump that's very good that I can use for future upgrade if I spend $150 today?

Thanks!

I upgraded to the purple pin wheels for my BM 250. No start up issues. TONS of small bubbles. I recommend you do the same!

If you look on rc for a used psk 2500 they are about $75. With mesh. The ppw is $30.

You should run the skimmer with a pw so that doesn't happen again. this will give you no start up problems and nearly the same air pull anyhow.

cobbobby,

I wasn't able to send PM to you so hopefully you'll see this.

I got the new pump in and the old one back from the lfs. The lfs told me there's nothing holding the mesh down and that's the reason the pump is not pushing water out. I took the new nw and inserted into the old pump and it's working. I got the plastic epoxy to glue the rubber damper to the pump and waiting for it to dry before putting it back into the tank.

Here are the pictures and hopefully someone can tell me what should be there to hold the mesh down. Anyway, I'm going to get a extra nw for the future if I ever get a skimmer kit and I'll have the pump (spare for now). Which one is better the purple nw or the Red Dragon nw?

DSC_4402.jpg

DSC_4403.jpg

DSC_4404.jpg

nothing is holding the mesh to the rod therefore the mesh is not spinning
DSC_4405.jpg

Thanks again for all the help!

Kevin

Thread the zip tie through two holes and into the mesh. DFo the same with the other side. 4 holes= 2 zip ties. Make sure to put the end of the zip tie on the mesh side of the wheel. Easy to do, no worries! It will work great.

I've read that the two are almost the same as far as performance, with the red dragon slightly better. If you get the ppw make sure you get the large one. I have the ppw on mine and it works great.

Thread the zip tie through two holes and into the mesh. DFo the same with the other side. 4 holes= 2 zip ties. Make sure to put the end of the zip tie on the mesh side of the wheel. Easy to do, no worries! It will work great.

I've read that the two are almost the same as far as performance, with the red dragon slightly better. If you get the ppw make sure you get the large one. I have the ppw on mine and it works great.

Just finished with 2 small zip ties and it ran for few second fine then a loud vibration sound. The flow slowed dramatically and back to before with loud noise.

Please bear with me as I don't play with pumps often. I think the yellow mesh plate is messed up so how do I get it off the magnet? Does a new pw comes installed on a new magnet or I need to install it on the old magnet?

Thanks!

I'm about to p/u a used ATI 250, please advise as to where the water level should be set in order to achieve the best performance.

Thank you.

Back