ATO recommendation

ATO recommendation

I made my own similar to the tunze and it works great. I also ordered a cool new sensor to monitor through the back of glass. Will be sweet if it works
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427677552.152577.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427677593.751923.jpg

I have used an avast marine ATO for past year and a half, very happy with it. Similar to Spectrapure concept, magnetic mounts, use their pump or any you want. Have an a aqualiftrr on mine.

The avast marine wont work in my setup.

I essentially have about the footprint of a deck of playing cards to work with. The float is to large. If the tunze will fit in the footprint I have great! But so far the only sure fit I have found is the hydor. BUT idk what pump to use that will only put out an extremely low volume of water (like 8oz in 30 seconds)

The avast has a nano magnet available with no float. It's what I have. I have had no issue with out the float. I have it in a digital timer to run 1min every 30 min since I use kalk in my ATO, it's on a sumpless 55 and I didn't want to see the float

Edit- the one min adds about 1/4cup, the aqualifter is about 2 feet below where the discharges.

The avast marine wont work in my setup.

I essentially have about the footprint of a deck of playing cards to work with. The float is to large. If the tunze will fit in the footprint I have great! But so far the only sure fit I have found is the hydor. BUT idk what pump to use that will only put out an extremely low volume of water (like 8oz in 30 seconds)

That's why I recommended the spectrapure. The sensor is only a 1/2" tube, and the pump is fantastic. Pumps nice and slow.

I use the Hydor and the only thing i see that some may not like is that when first turning it on or after doing maintenance the high level alarm will go off for a minute or so until the sensors(temperature) normalize and it goes off. I use it with a dosing style pump that I had sitting around that doesn't have a brand name but works well. With the Hydor just make sure you don't use too fast of a pump as it must run 25 seconds and it does turn off after 10 minutes and will have an audible alarm if it turned off that way that will require a reset of the device before it will turn the pump back on or work.

I use the Hydor and the only thing i see that some may not like is that when first turning it on or after doing maintenance the high level alarm will go off for a minute or so until the sensors(temperature) normalize and it goes off. I use it with a dosing style pump that I had sitting around that doesn't have a brand name but works well. With the Hydor just make sure you don't use too fast of a pump as it must run 25 seconds and it does turn off after 10 minutes and will have an audible alarm if it turned off that way that will require a reset of the device before it will turn the pump back on or work.

Thank you James, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I will probably go a different route now, a minimum 25 second run could potentially be disastrous. reading up on the Spectrapure now. I have no issues silicone it in place, can always cut it out later if necessary.

No problem and yes the 25 second run can be an issue depending on the pump it will run. I already had a slower peristaltic pump i was going to use so it was a perfect fit as in that time it wouldn't fill to much even on error.

Another vote for Tunze based on many years of experience with multiple units. I have never had one fail. The Nano is perfectly safe sans the optical sensor. It employs the same time out failsafe. After 1.8 minutes the pump shuts down. If the full length of the supplied tubing is used only 3 or 4 cups of water will be delivered before shut down.

So, is the spectra pure more precise as far as keeping ur salinity stable goes?

Does the spectra pure have the automatic shutdown fail safe that the tunze has?

I'm guessing the avast is no where near as precise or has the fail safe?

So, is the spectra pure more precise as far as keeping ur salinity stable goes?

Does the spectra pure have the automatic shutdown fail safe that the tunze has?

I'm guessing the avast is no where near as precise or has the fail safe?

2 things about the Spectrapure UPLC-II

1. In addition to the pressure tube it has a float that acts as a fail safe
2. When you program the pump it will work on 10 second intervals where you can have it operate from 0-10 seconds and depending on how you set up the system you can vary how much the water level lowers before the pump turns on and off again when it reaches a certain height

here is a link to the owners manual
http://spectrapure.com/manuals/UPLC-II-PF-REV-A.pdf

The spectrapure can be as precise as you need it.
Calibrating the pressure sensor you can set it to turn on pump after a 3 inch drop of water, or a very precise 1/16 of an inch..

Mine is set to come on at about after a half inch drop.
But that's on a 125 gallon. I don't need to be anymore precise than that.

2. When you program the pump it will work on 10 second intervals where you can have it operate from 0-10 seconds and depending on how you set up the system you can vary how much the water level lowers before the pump turns on and off again when it reaches a certain height

Wow,maybe the spectra pure is a bit superior, I didn't know you could program the pump intervals/ limit amount of time it can run.

Other than the suction cups, sounds pretty sweet!

The spectrapure can be as precise as you need it.
Calibrating the pressure sensor you can set it to turn on pump after a 3 inch drop of water, or a very precise 1/16 of an inch..

Mine is set to come on at about after a half inch drop.
But that's on a 125 gallon. I don't need to be anymore precise than that.

Does the spectra pure have fail safe feature where it shuts off like the tunze does?

Ah I see, so the pressure tube is the first sensor then the float acts as the fail safe?

I zip tied the sensor right to the return pump. It's not going anywhere.

That's a good idea, wish I would have thought of that before spending $40 on a pair of Tunze magnets, LOL..... The magnets are really nice though

Back