Auto Top-Off suggestions needed!

So, I see you guys keep mentioning a float switch, I assumed that the JBJ came with one - is this not the case?
Also, it sounds like the Tunze comes with it's own pump/lifter - How far down can it pull from? The reservoir I'm getting is 24" deep.

Word of advise, have a redundancy float such as the Tunze. I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 which is only 55G. I'm using the Tunze 3155 ATO with the back up float switch now for 2 weeks.

Well guess what. It failed, and pumped over a gallon of RO water until the secondary float with shut down the pump

I now lowered the secondary float in my return chamber, so it would pump so much if this happens again

I read online to clean the eye with vinager, when they are brand new. I didn't do that, and second day in owning it, it kept pumping until the 2nd float switch shut it off

Someone else mentioned get the nano. The Nano has no second float switch, and will dump your whole RO container into your system if the first sensor fails.

2 weeks later it's working perfect , keeps the water within 1/4" in the return area

I'd spend the money and just get the Tunze

The pump can pump 24" no issues. My container is 24" tall, and it pumps it into my sump with no issues

I just set up my first ATO and went with the the Auto Aqua Smart ATO Micro for my new 29 gallon BioCube. Ordered a second one today for the other Reef..:dance:

Last edited:
Bah! I'm really considering spending that extra ~$115 on the Tunze now :( (The JBJ ATO + the aqualifter was ~$85).
Does the Tunze come with tubing or do I still need to purchase extra airline tubing?

The Tunze does come with tubing, the amount of it I am blanking on but I did not need to purchase any extra. My ATO reservoir is right next to my display though.

save your money. the jbj works just fine. It is normal for people to justify/rationalize the amount they spend (I also do that). I used to use a jbj ato for a long time, no problem, but now use a diy ato integrated into my diy controller. You can diy an ato pretty easily if you are handy.

save your money. the jbj works just fine. It is normal for people to justify/rationalize the amount they spend (I also do that). I used to use a jbj ato for a long time, no problem, but now use a diy ato integrated into my diy controller. You can diy an ato pretty easily if you are handy.

Can a secondary/back-up sensor be set-up on the JBJ? I'm concerned now since I'll be getting a 27 gallon reservoir... And... That's a lot of extra water if it doesn't shut off :hmm4: (90 gallon DT with a 40 gallon breeder for a sump... Probably keeps about 25-30 gallons in the sump at any given time... So there's only maybe ~10-ish gallons of extra space while all the pumps and what-not are running).

Last edited:
Can a secondary/back-up sensor be set-up on the JBJ? I'm concerned now since I'll be getting a 27 gallon reservoir... And... That's a lot of extra water if it doesn't shut off :hmm4: (90 gallon DT with a 40 gallon breeder for a sump... Probably keeps about 25-30 gallons in the sump at any given time... So there's only maybe ~10-ish gallons of extra space).

Oh, wait... It looks like the JBJ has two float sensors, I'm assuming one is a back-up? It also looks like it auto-kills power to the pump/lifter after about 4 minutes by default as a fail-safe - Is this info accurate...? If that's the case I may be back on the JBJ-wagon :p

yes that is correct. I think if you search marine depot site, they may have a video on how it works.

Oh, wait... It looks like the JBJ has two float sensors, I'm assuming one is a back-up? It also looks like it auto-kills power to the pump/lifter after about 4 minutes by default as a fail-safe - Is this info accurate...? If that's the case I may be back on the JBJ-wagon :p

Yes and you can change the pump fail safe time.

You can set one sensor in the top off water so it wont run the pump dry.

I have not had a sensor fail in ten years i been running them.

[QUOTEIt looks like the JBJ has two float sensors, I'm assuming one is a back-up? It also looks like it auto-kills power to the pump/lifter after about 4 minutes by default as a fail-safe - Is this info accurate...? If that's the case I may be back on the JBJ-wagon][/QUOTE]

You can program the JBJ to use the 2nd float to be a high level cut off or in the ATO container to shutoff the pump when the level gets too low. The JBJ controller can be programmed to shut off @ 4 minutes or less

Well, unless I'm misunderstanding, it looks like there's not much of a reason to spend so much more for the Tunze since the JBJ has two possible "fail safes" as well. The default timer of 3min 45sec seems perfect. I'm not concerned about the pump running dry since I'll be using Tom's AquaLifter (which can run dry without issue). :D

The aqualifter pumps water at a slower rate than a powerhead. This will only be an issue if it is going to take more than 4 minutes to raise the water level.

I use this small pump from harborfreight
http://www.harborfreight.com/158-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68396.html

those flexible rigid tubes commonly used in RODI fits perfectly to the outlet of this pump.

and I have run this pump dry for hours on end without any problem.

Last edited:
The aqualifter pumps water at a slower rate than a powerhead. This will only be an issue if it is going to take more than 4 minutes to raise the water level.

I use this small pump from harborfreight
http://www.harborfreight.com/158-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68396.html

those flexible rigid tubes commonly used in RODI fits perfectly to the outlet of this pump.

and I have run this pump dry for hours on end without any problem.

How quiet is it? I've heard the AquaLifter is practically silent. My tank is in my family room with my TV and all that so it's where I spend the majority of my time when home. The audible "beep" on the JBJ ATO will likely be getting removed pending on how annoying it is :D

I don't hear it, but it is inside the reservoir inside the cabinet.
the jbj ato max time is 14 minutes, so if you figure running aqualifter for 14 minutes is enough time to raise the water level, then you should be fine. I prefer the pump to be on/off in a few seconds, so I use the harborfreight pump.
the beep is really loud, so you need to disable it.

Are there any good (cheap) ATO pumps you'd recommend that are on Amazon, BRS or MarineDepot? (preferably Amazon as I have a credit there at the moment) I'd like to keep all my purchases from the same place and it seems as though the one you linked to is 3x as much on Amazon :lol:
I'd rather not go past ~$20 since the aqualifter is ~$15 and seems to be reliable and popular choice. :)

I went with the Eheim 80gph pump (I forget the exact model number). I figure 1.333 gallons per minute is more-than fast enough as I can't imagine much more than 1 gallon being topped off at one time (probably less... Plus, I want the auto-stop to be able to stop it before the sump overfills). I also went with the JBJ as I just couldn't find a real reason to justify the additional ~$110 for the Tunze outside of the different sensor which really doesn't matter too much since the JBJ has the auto-shut off and a secondary float valve which can be used as a back-up in case the first fails... So... Yea, JBJ :D

Back